4.0 out of 5 stars A good, progressive textbook on rhythms
Published on March 26, 2008 by Priscilla Stilwell

3.0 out of 5 stars WAY OVERPRICED!!
I was required to purchase this book for my Sight Singing course at Lawrence University. Though this book is a very helpful study tool and is constantly used in class, it is very short (<70 pages). For $75, one should really get a much larger book with more exercises.
Published on October 22, 2011 by Nathan B. Lawrence

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, progressive textbook on rhythms, March 26, 2008
This review is from: Studying Rhythm (3rd Edition) (Spiral-bound)
This book was loaned to me by my music theory teacher after I finished Ed Sueta's "Rhythm Spectrum". Unfortunately, I was practicing my rhythms, and laid the book on the floor in the basement so I could take a nap, and it, along with several other books, got ruined when the washing machine overflowed. So I inherited a good, but damaged book (I'm buying a new one for my teacher to replace the ruined one). And in the meantime, I'm reviewing the rhythms.

The thing that makes this book challenging is that it progresses in many ways with each new rhythmic concept. The concepts are similar to Sueta's method, but they require you to change tempos, follow dynamic markings and phrasing, and use multiple limbs (up to both hands & both feet), as well as speaking rhythmic passages.

The book advances quickly, and after completing Sueta's book (which is no walk in the park), the new challenges this book provide me are enough to make it a stretch to complete one unit a week.

While I would not probably buy this particular book had it not been for the unfortunate accident, I am glad to have it (wrinkled & slightly mildewed as it is) in my growing music-resource collection. It's a technique book, not a reference book. And for that, it is useful.

While the price is obscene, this is the sad fact with any textbook, and that is an issue that should be remedied through congress and your local schools. However, I do not try to make it a practice of rating books on the price. Since I rarely ever buy a book at the regular price (thanks to Amazon and my local used bookstores). So, my rating is despite the large price tag.

3.0 out of 5 stars WAY OVERPRICED!!, October 22, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Studying Rhythm at a great price!, October 7, 2013
This review is from: Studying Rhythm (3rd Edition) (Spiral-bound)
Saved almost $40 on this book. The book store at my daughters campus was definitely expensive! Happy we were able to find on Amazon, and with expedited shipping, was able to ship to her with little down time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love to shop at amazon., September 26, 2013
Josephine (FORT WORTH, TEXAS, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Studying Rhythm (3rd Edition) (Spiral-bound)
I gave 5 stars for easy return. I return the text because my teacher doesn't require it; however, he does recommend the text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 11, 2014
No comments

Studying Rhythm (3rd Edition)
Studying Rhythm (3rd Edition) by Anne C. Hall Professor Emeritus (Spiral-bound - August 28, 2004)
$106.00 $88.29