Published on November 22, 2010 by Miss H

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that funny.
Published on September 5, 2010 by 98432123

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that funny., September 5, 2010
Really not that funny. It's a decent book for reminding yourself about the hipsters you know, but the book, despite its own claims of applying to all hipsters of all times, is NYC-centric. Moreover, it's basically written from the point of view, explicitly spelled out in the introduction, of two fresh-out-of-college grads that moved to New York City and subsequently dated, and were dumped by, a lot of hipster guys. That point of view just makes you feel sorry for the authors, who can't hide either their pre- or post-hipster-dumped-me naivety (or their lack of writing skill).

The authors try to step back and give some analysis or larger perspective and occasionally say something lucid or insightful, but the laughs just aren't there, no matter how many "clever" graphs, charts or comics are inserted here and there throughout the book.

Not a bad book, but far, far from the brilliance of "Stuff White People Like," which is so obviously alluded to in the title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intrigued by hipster culture but don't get it? This book can help., November 22, 2010
This review is from: Stuff Hipsters Hate: A Field Guide to the Passionate Opinions of the Indifferent (Paperback)
I never understood hipster culture. I knew that every now and then there'd be a musical flare up from an obscure artist/band that would set the indie scene abuzz, and it could be traced back to the nebulous hipster culture. I knew hipster culture may or may not have something to do with Hunter S. Thompson, Jack Kerouac, veganism, bad facial hair, apathy and beatniks, but I wasn't sure.

I'm still not sure I understand hipsters very well, but this book is as close as I'm ever going to get. Ehrlich and Bartz are the Jane Goodalls of the hipster world. They have planted themselves in dimly lit bars, foggy music venues and coffee joints swimming in soy milk--the hipster's preferred habitats--to bring you a comprehensive understanding of this unusual creature.

These two are cultural anthropologists for a segment of society that seems contentedly (purposely?) misunderstood. They dig into the nitty gritty--sometimes dirty and hilarious--details of the hipster's bizarre life, from grooming habits to courtship rituals.

This book doesn't have to be read cover to cover. You can pick it up, skim it, put it back down, or read different parts.

It's a great read for sheer entertainment or for a dear friend who's hot on a skinny, elusive hipster and isn't sure how to lure him or her in--if ever there was hope to succeed in that impossible endeavor, it's in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars cross-cultural brilliance, September 22, 2010
sanja (Scottsdale, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This weekend I was on a loooong flight that necessitated a lot of reading material. On a whim I downloaded the "Stuff Hipsters Hate" ibook - I had never even heard of the tumblr.

For the next three days, my friends, who are all from Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, would gather over copious amounts of Czech beer and take turns reading the teeny tiny iphone screen with this book on it. It is, simply put, genius.

And here's what we found - if we substituted the Sarajevo equivalents for all the Brooklyn-specific references and bar names, what is described ARE OUR LIVES and the many hipster "ghosters" we dated.

So, as soon as I got back, I ordered 5 (oh, yes, FIVE) hard copies of this amazing book from Amazon to send to all aforementioned friends. We hope to pass them on to all the hipster pseudo-boyfriends in our lives.

I'd say this was the best 12 dollars I've ever spent on a book, but since I bought five, it was the best 60 dollars ever spent. Buy early and buy often. No regrets.

4.0 out of 5 stars i liked Stuff Hipsters Hate more when it was just a blog., September 29, 2010
I read this while sippin' on some PBR (yeah, I know) and the humor was enough to prevent me from slitting my wrist after realizing I had a lot of similar 'hates'. Ha, but really, from beginning to end, Stuff Hipsters Hate keeps you entertained with Missed Connections, graphs and charts, illustrations, and what appear to be readers' words. The beginning or intro gives you a little background of hipsterdom and where the word originated. A lot of study and research was put into the making of the book, although it was mostly centered around the Brooklyn / Williamsburg peeps, you get a general introspective of what they are trying to convey to the reader (which most probably already know). Also, I'm pretty sure this will have a huge influence on the reader and fill the void of anything left unhated. The book is smart, witty and keeps you consistently entertained. No filler. But...as the title of this review suggests, I liked Stuff Hipsters Hate more when it was just a blog.

4.0 out of 5 stars ironically clever, November 15, 2010
The mark of the true hipster is to hate on all hipsterdom and as expert (they wrote the field guide didn't they) observers of the hipster culture, the writers are in fact elite hipsters.

The book's style is a faux field guide, complete with diagrams, charts, drawings and footnotes. That the book is printed as cheaply as possible only adds to its charm.

It is not meant for reading all at once (I tried, it can't be done) but as a reference guide, it is particularly useful on long flights, in the bathroom, or sometimes on the coffee table (preferably in a well appointed home so as to add to the irony).

This book will make you chuckle a few times but it will not change the world or even your life. And provided you're not a hipster wannabe yourself, it will make you feel better about yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Hilarious, October 5, 2010
I was thinking this might just be a re-hash of the website (which is awesome on it's own), but I was happy to see that's not the case! And it's just as funny. Sad and true, but funny! Great for Sunday hipster spotting in (insert local area of town you're not cool enough to be in).

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully wicked, November 30, 2013
Long, long ago (2009 to be exact), Andrea Bartz and Brenna Ehrlich would exchange e-mails about their dating misadventures, a one-upswomanship of bad date after bad date. As often the best and worst stories would center around hipsters,ť it wasn't long before the ladies decided to share their misadventures on a small Tumblr blog of the same name.

Bartz and Ehrlich document, chart, graph and illustrate the mating habits, grooming practices, clothing choices, preferred entertainment, and dating habits of the hipster. As modern-day cultural anthropologists, Bartz and Ehrlich observe their prey in their wild habitat and gently poke fun. Hipsters are generally defined by the authors as privileged twenty-somethings characterized by crazy style choices, terrible grooming habits, inability to commit, and a general air of apathy.

For all intents and purposes, they are overgrown children. Stuff Hipsters Hate isn't your average blog-to-book, one-trick pony, relying on one-line jokes and a couple of pictures to get through the required page count. Each section is carefully written with tongue-in-cheek humor and sarcastic wit. Definitely worth reading.

-Lanine Bradley, posted on Sacramento Book Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, sarcastic, hilarious (just like a hipster), October 24, 2010
I have been so excited to read "Stuff Hipsters Hate" since I found out the blog was becoming a book many months ago. The authors definitely capture the hipster spirit (or lack there of, as the book illustrates). I now fully understand how to identify a hipster from a mile away. As I learned from the book, a real hipster will not identify as one, so now I, a non-hipster, can pin-point those friends that actually are. So fulfilling! The book is hilarious, sarcastic, witty, interesting, referential, personable, intellectual and a great party book. My copy already has a water stain because I had it out at my latest party....sort of hipster, right? The blog is great, but the book is even better. It spells out all aspects of a hipster guy's life and sheds light on why these boys act the way they do, especially in reference to their "love" lives. The book is a perfect introduction for anyone interested in moving to Williamsburg. I would recommend this book to those who want to better understand the hipster culture of the early 21st century!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuff I Love: This Book, September 8, 2010
As someone who found herself accidentally living amongst NYC's Williamsburg hipsters, Stuff Hipsters Hate has been one of my favourite blog stops for a while. Taking the same scarily accurate but still laugh out loud funny tone of the blog, the book, gives you a little more depth and content. I'll never forget the day I saw someone walking their rabbit on a lead in Mccarren Park. While wearing plaid and carrying a ukulele. No, really.

If you love the blog or just love to hate hipsters (wait - wouldn't that make you a hipster?) this is definitely a purchase for you. So funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most fun nonfiction book ever, December 12, 2010
After hearing story after story from Brooklyn-based friends about quirky hipster kids, I have no doubt that SHH qualifies as nonfiction. Just like the website that inspired it, the book examines the hipster culture with a smart sense of humor that frequently made me laugh out loud. It's clear that the authors thoroughly understand their subjects and get a kick out of making fun of them. Also, the book comes with fun graphs that let you see where you, or a certain author, or a certain religion fall on hipsters' coolness radar. (I learned that my mild hipster leanings qualify me as a "scenester." I'm OK with that label.)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›