5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking, Quality watch

3.0 out of 5 stars Great watch! But has glitches :(
Published on April 11, 2012 by T1

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great watch! But has glitches :(, April 11, 2012
This review is from: Stuhrling Original Men's 129XL.3315K1 Aviator Tuskegee Warhawk Automatic Date Black Watch (Watch)
I bought this as a gift for my boyfriend and he really loved it. The presentation of this watch is amazing. Really has the look and feel of a luxury timepiece. I was very excited about it but unfortunately I cannot give it a full A+. First off, when you read the instructions it tell you to never change the date when it is between a certain hour because it affects the mechanism of the watch. Basically, its telling you that if you change the date at a certain time, you're gonna screw up your watch! Not very practical nor luxurious :/

Another thing, and this is what bugs me the most, is that once in a while the two little hands line up and get stuck for a couple of seconds. Sure it doesn't seem so bad at first but when it keeps happening, the watch begins to show innacurate time. It's really annoying. I guess it's true what they say, "If it's on sale, it's for a reason!" I thought I was getting an awesome deal because I bought it at less that $200 when the list price was almost $500. But at the end of the day, the look and feel of the actual watch is awesome visually but the quality of the watch mechanism is not very good. I will not buy another Stuhrling for this reason :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking, Quality watch, May 25, 2013
Personally I have always like things to be plain and simple. Many of the automatic watches these days have complicated displays, with gears and balance wheel moving and dancing about under those elegantly turning hands. This one on the other hand has a nice a simple and classic display. The craftsmanship on this watch is very good. The mechanism keeps time very well. I was able to verify this by comparing it with a set clock on the internet.

A few things you should know if this will be (is) the first automatic watch you are buying:

1. Never, and I mean never adjust the date when the mechanism is changing the date (on this watch it is from 21:00 to 04:00, or 9pm to 4am.)
2. Since it keeps time mechanically, outside movements, sharp shocks and even the ambient temperature of the room may affect the accuracy of this time piece. Even the best of the best will gain or lose a second after a while.
3. Avoid adjusting the time by turning the crown backwards (turning the hands against the time). This sometimes damages the watch's mechanism.
4. New time pieces sometimes will gain a few seconds in the first weeks of use, after that the time keeping becomes more regular.
5. Periodic readjustments of the watch are not unheard of, if this bothers you stick to the quartz movement or your cell phone for keeping time.

Now for some pros and cons

Pros
1. The watch has very simple and utilitarian look to it. It has everything you need and nothing that you don't.
2. The leather bands have quality stitching, and are made out of good quality leather.
3. The luminescent paint on the dial glows nice and bright.
4. The dial is large and easy to read at a glance.
5. Fits in with most styles of clothing

Cons
1. The band is slightly short and I have to wear it on the last one or two settings to get on my wrist. (my wrist are on the larger side with a circumference of 21 cm (about 8 inches).)
2. The date dial although still readable is on the smaller side.
3. Not too great to be worn as a sports-watch.

Overall, I would recommend this watch to a friend, the classic look is subtle, yet eye catching. I have worn this watch to many occasions on almost daily bases. So far it has been two months of time keeping and it has been ticking on. Much thanks for reading my opinion on this, and I hope you will enjoy this watch as much as I did.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good to Look at, August 14, 2012
Jerry (Matawan, NJ) - See all my reviews
I really liked the way this watch looked, but it kept running to fast requiring constant resetting.
I returned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch! Extremely well made. Huge dial., December 6, 2012
With the sale price, this watch was a fantastic deal. Its the first Sturling for me and I was really surprised. I admit, I'm a bit of a watch snob and half expected to end up giving it to one of my sons. This thing has features rarely not seen on a watch in this price range. Automatic movement, see through rear case, illuminated hands and markers, signed crown and buckle, heavy duty leather strap and a beautiful presentation box that will really impress someone if it were a gift. I have an extensive collection and this has become one of my favorites even over some other high end pieces. Been wearing it every day since it arrived. If I had to find one negative, I say the date window was a bit small and difficult to see. If it had a larger date display or a magnifier in the crystal it would be absolutely perfect. This watch is BIG and thick, so if you have small wrists or hands it may not be your thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking watch. Doesn't keep time well., December 18, 2012
J. Semler (Round Rock, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I've received a lot of compliments on this watch, and I definitely like the look. It goes well with casual through semi-formal clothing, and the watch face isn't too big or two small.

Unfortunately, I have to set the time back about 5 minutes once a week. I've never had a watch that didn't keep time well, so this was surprising at first. I've since just gotten into the habit of setting it back every weekend.

Also, the self winding is a nice feature, but if you skip a day of wearing it, it will not be ticking anymore on the second day, and you'll have to reset the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for the price, July 13, 2012
Congratulations to the other reviewer for the fact she read the manufactures instructions before changing the date. Many Rolex buyers change the date on their watch before reading the instructions and are looking at a $500.00 repair bill, plus the cost and time to ship their watch back to Rolex.
Many high-end watches have this same issue. One should never try to turn the hour and minute hands counter-clockwise and should never change the date between ten and two or the pin that resets the date inside of the mechanical works will usually bend or break off.
Stuhrling makes a quality product and this watch takes on the look of many Swiss watches that run $3K and up. Quite a bargain and great quality customer support.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after a less than a month, September 10, 2012
My fiance called me today to tell me that the watch stopped working after less than a month. I am sending it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best buy inside Stuhrling vast range, January 6, 2014
Nice masculine oversized look and brawny leather strap make this a winner. The movement has been reliable for me so far, and I wish my other watches had the wind instead of wear/shake option. The aviator face is simple (hard to mess up).

1.0 out of 5 stars Stuhrling Watch, October 21, 2013
It's important to remember that you get what you pay for, especially with the purchase of a watch online. This watch, which was purchased through Amazon.com, is not worth the money. As it should, it does not keep correct time and has to be reset every other day. Also, unless you have a magnifying glass the date window is virtually impossible to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy it, June 30, 2013
I hate its too big and stob working after 2 days. Do not buy it you will regret it
thanks