Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stuhrling Original Men's 129XL.335557 Aviator Tuskegee Warhawk Automatic Date Black Watch
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 30, 2011
Eyes opened wide upon seeing how extensive the packaging of this watch was. It felt like opening a really expensive Swiss chocolate box.

Likes: I like the color combination of black and orange. I like the orange stitching on the really nice and thick leather band. It's a simple watch design perfect for use with casual, semi and formal wear.

I like the big size. I guess the XL stands for extra large because the diameter is large indeed.

The numbers and lines are orange and somewhat frost in texture.

Dislike: I have only one so far and that's the face where the numbers and lines are printed on. It looks like plain colored paper. They should have used a more textured material which I'm sure will make the prints embossed and raised more giving it a much more expensive look.

I decided on getting an automatic watch to make it a sort of family heirloom which I will hand down to my son when he reaches his adulthood.

Despite reading some negative reviews on its performance and longevity I am willing to give it a try.

If there are any abnormalities in its operation I will update this review.

Thank you.

Made in unknown.

Update:12/14/2011

Sad to say I decided to return this watch. I did not get over the flat/bland face dial. This is what killed the watch presentation. I also experienced a couple of people's complaint about the squeaky hinge where the band is attached to and the seconds hand that does seem to run fast then slow then faster then slower but I think it's due to the strain of staring. It did keep time "on time" it was never late nor advanced.
review image review image
on August 23, 2011
I just got this watch -- never even had a chance to wear it out of the house -- and it's already broken. I'm returning it now. A word of warning about Stuhrling watches in general: all of them come with a card that says if you give them a positive review on Amazon, they'll extend the manufacturer's warranty. To me, that seems pretty fishy. If you see positive reviews on Amazon, you can ask yourself: did that person really think the watch was good? Or was the watch shoddy and they needed to extend the warranty?

Also, the joints where the watchband met the watch were amazingly squeaky.

The watch did look pretty nice -- just like in the picture.
99 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2012
I was a bit hesitant to purchase this after reading the reviews, but I decided to take a chance for the price (sub-$100).

I've been using it daily for the last 2 weeks, and here is what I've found:

- The watchface is a LOT bigger than it looks in the ad - I have skinny wrists, so I've never been a fan of that "Invicta" look - you may want to look elsewhere if you're like me.

- Accuracy - it's ok - it seems to have gained 1 minute after 2 weeks of daily use. I don't consider this a "bad" thing, as the watch is under $100 - but, I get better accuracy from my Orient and Seiko watches

All in all, it's actually not bad for the price...

To those complaining about the leather band "squeeking" - This was easily taken care of by applying leather break in fluid - the kind you use for new baseball mits - I've done this to several of my watchbands, as it helps to break them in.

My only reasons for the 3 stars and not 5 is mainly to do with the watch size and accuracy.
First and foremost, it's important to understand that brands like Stuhrling and Invicta are frequently dismissed out of hand by watch enthusiasts -- and often this is the result of "creative" marketing on the part of budget-friendly brands.

No matter what kind of flowery story you might read about Stuhrling, the watch and its movement have about as much to do with Switzerland as a steaming plate of General Tso's Chicken. That doesn't make it a bad watch, however.

The Tuskegee Warhawk is one big watch. My guess is that it's to further align itself with the near-iconic look of Bell & Ross watches, but in any case, my wrist is 9.5" / 24mm (so the second from last hole in the band is as tight as I can wear it) and the face is pretty massive on my wrist.

The band is surprisingly stiff, though the stitching and overall quality is pretty good. If you can stand breaking it in over a few days, you're set. If you have a little leather conditioner around, that wouldn't hurt.

The watch itself has kind of a cheap plastic feel to it, but at the same time, it's kind of heavy. Nobody's going to confuse it with a luxury timepiece, but at the same time, it doesn't look like it came from Target. At a glance, I couldn't identify the movement. From the face, the second hand ticks almost like a knockoff Miyota. It's easy to read, although the hands look kind of cheap.

Overall, it keeps time reasonably well and would make a nice starter piece for someone interested in collecting automatics -- or for someone who already has a collection and wants an everyday beater.
on February 13, 2012
My wife agrees with me, I really do need a pair - of these Stuhrling watches. The large face gives a bold and assertive appeal, yet not flashy or extravagent. It has just the right contrast and the dial has just the right size hands and numerals that I only have to glance at it to see the time even at arm's length. I only need to bring it closer to the eye to see the date. This is not a dress watch, but looks good no matter what I'm doing, so whether black tie or blue jeans, I'll be wearing it. I will soon be buying its "pair." I'm looking at the same watch but with the green luminous hands and numeral markings, which I expect will be even easier to see.

I find that when I'm active, the watch doesn't stop ticking. Those are the days like when I'm working on projects in the shop, or busy with books and papers in the office. On a slower paced day like now when I'm in front of the computer, I'll use the bezel to be sure it's wound. It keeps exceptional time. I can't tell you seconds per week or whatever, but when I look at the time like just now at the computer's clock, and then check the watch, the minutes are pretty much the same. I think the last time I set it was a week ago.

I'm reminded when I play COD "Black Ops" in the episode about the EMP that takes out all of the electronics. Well, if I were the soldier, I could still know what the time was.
on October 5, 2012
I bought this watch fooled by the attractive looks, large dial and all the Swiss heritage claims. When I received it I was really happy, but as time passed its many flaws were becoming apparent and I realized my mistake in having bought this watch.

The Chinese movement is cheap and unreliable. The luminescence is practically useless and can't be seen an hour after you turn off the light. The strap was too rigid and exuded a foul smell that lasted for months. The minute hand detached barely a year after purchase. Now it's resting in a drawer because I think it's not worth fixing.

My humble advice if you are looking for an affordable automatic watch would be to go for a Japanese model.
I have a Seiko Monster and it's an amazing watch, reliable and well built. I've also had the chance to try my nephew's Orient Mako which is neat looking. Both use Japanese movements.

I hope my review helps others to not waste their money the same way I did.
on May 11, 2014
Upon arrival the watch made a noise from the balance wheel hitting the glass on the back of the watch. However, because I was so enamored of the way it looked, rather than return it I took it to the neighborhood watch repairman. I told him that is was a brand new watch and if the repair was too costly I would just return it. He said "Come back in 1/2 an hour". He fixed it for $10.

Bottom line, this is a gorgeous watch that keeps good time. If not for the initial defect I would have given it five stars
on January 4, 2012
A beautiful large, aviator-style watch. Nice heavy leather band. Very solid feel to the case and crystal. Keeps time very well, within 6 seconds per day, very good for this price level automatic watch.
on July 11, 2014
A good looking timepiece. However, within less than two months time keeping became erratic. Shortly thereafter it ceased running completely. From time piece to wrist jewelry in barely two months! To their credit Amazon agreed to allow me to return the watch. Too bad ,the watch makes a good appearance...just doesn't do the basic thing you expect of a timepiece... that being? Keep time!!!
on January 8, 2012
I am confused by the negative reviews of this watch.

Sounds like people don't realize at first you have to wind it a little and after that it is is self-winding as you walk and move. If you leave the watch stationary for a whole day or so it may stop. You will have to wind up a little tension again and possibly set it again if it has stopped completely.

Mine doesn't stop because I only take it off to sleep. You must understand an automatic watch that is: wind it once in a great while, otherwise it is maintenance-free

I love my watch. It is accurate, great looking and well made.

I did think the packaging was a bit over-the-top but the timepiece itself is great quality.

At first I did not realize that the orange markings were luminous but in fact, they do glow in the dark for a while. I also did change the band to a County Comm, Zulu band which fits my large wrist a bit more comfortably.
I think it's a great watch all around.