5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, Strong, Just Plain Awesome
This is my first Stührling watch and everything about it, from the moment I opened the package, has been an absolute first-rate experience. I can already feel myself getting long-winded here, so let's get the most important stuff out of the way first -- that way, those of us with shorter attention spans can safely flake out after the first couple of paragraphs...
Published on July 25, 2012 by Jeff Kraus

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch, but with hard-to-read hands
Published on July 30, 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, Strong, Just Plain Awesome, July 25, 2012
Jeff Kraus (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stuhrling Original Men's 168S.33151 "Classic" Stainless Steel Automatic Watch with Leather Band (Watch)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

First, when I read comments on other watches I realize how often the term "automatic" is misunderstood. So let's get that straight real quick. This is an automatic mechanical watch. No batteries required -- the watch can either be wound manually, or thanks to the weighted wheel in the back it will wind itself as you move your wrist around doing... well, whatever it is that you do. That means that if you don't wear it for a day or so, it will stop and you'll have to wind it and set the time again. "Automatic" merely refers to the self-winding capability.

This watch is beautiful. Eye of the beholder and whatever but it's truly something special. The incredibly complex inner workings are partially visible through the skeleton faceplate, and I catch myself watching the spinny bits sometimes rather than reading the time. Additional components including the weight for the self-winding mechanism are visible through another opening on the back side of the watch. Any way you look at it, this watch exudes quality. The case is just... impossibly polished. You don't even want to touch it, it's so perfect. The leather bands (you get two of them, black and brown) are comfortable and attractive, glossy on the outside surface and natural on the inside with the company name branded there. It's definitely solid, thicker than other watches I've owned. The crystal used on the face seems to be quite scratch resistant (get ready for a cringe-worthy story):

The day after I received the watch, I was wearing it in the kitchen and started to take it off to wash something in the sink. As soon as I unclasped it something caused me to turn and the watch slid off my wrist, bounced twice off the (real) tile floor and slid all the way across the kitchen ON ITS FACE until the wall on the other side of the kitchen stopped it. I let out a girly scream, grabbed it, wiped it off and tried not to make direct eye contact with it for a couple of hours because I was scared of what I might have done. Finally I decided to check it out under the bright, diffuse light of my office lamp (you know, the kind that brings forth even the slightest imperfection in any glossy surface)... Nothing. I scrutinized as closely as a man without a microscope can scrutinize, and I couldn't find even one tiny imperfection anywhere. I'm not suggesting you use it as a curling stone, of course, but I'm really happy with its apparent ruggedness.

I haven't had very long to test the accuracy yet, but I'll add that in an update once I've had it for a while. If I had to guess right now, I'd say that it's off only a couple of seconds per day.

Okay, so I've established the basics: the watch is strong, it's beautiful, it's a fantastic buy for the price, and I whole-heartedly and unreservedly recommend it. Those with the aforementioned attention span issues may safely go chase shiny things or whatever.

One minor point, but I just wanted to mention it because it's awesome: I haven't had a mechanical watch in a LONG time, and I have to say I love the mechanical ticking, so much more satisfying for some reason than the quartz watches I've owned lately.

But there's more to this experience, although I'm sure the people that already have several Stührling watches will learn nothing new here.

The packaging is tremendous. After sliding off the glossy black and gold cardboard sheath, you're presented with an orange leather-clad box (it smells incredible, for what it's worth) stamped in gold lettering. Opening the box reveals a number of items like your warranty card, etc. strapped to the black fabric inside roof of the box (also stamped with the company name and logo in gold). The watch sits in a deep, form-fitting well (black leather) alongside another impression that includes the extra leather watch band. Okay, yes, the entire package smells intensely of high quality leather and my wife has caught me sniffing it like a crazy person, I don't want to talk about it. A microfiber cloth is also included for carefully wiping the face of your watch after you, like an idiot, allow it to go sliding unrestrained across the kitchen floor. On a related note, it also wipes up tears.

One last note: take a look around at the reviews of the other watches by Stührling. You'll notice that in almost every case where someone has had a problem, the company has responded with a phone number and any information that might help the person that wrote the review. They even took the time to respond to one guy that didn't understand how Roman numerals on watches work. It makes me feel like this is a company that is really proud of their products and truly cares about customer satisfaction. I haven't seen this from the other watch manufacturers that are selling on Amazon.

I look forward to posting an update or two on the watch's long-term quality and accuracy when I've had it for a while. In the meantime, I've added some photos because as soon as I got the watch I knew I had to take pictures of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch, but with hard-to-read hands, July 30, 2012
Amazon Customer (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fairly inexpensive watch, but one that comes with all the trappings of a more expensive one (so it makes an ideal gift.../humor). It comes in a long, fancy box with badges and authenticating documents, the latter of which I will go out on a limb and assert that they are unnecessary with a watch in this price range. The point of this is, all the flash in the world won't make me think it's a Cartier.

The watch has a very thick stainless steel case--about as thick as my HTC Incredible 4G mobile phone. It is heavy, but not enough to be cumbersome, even on my skinny little wrist. It is a mechanical watch, so of course, it requires no battery; in the short amount of time that I've had it, it has kept very good time (better than my 8-year-old Raymond Weil mechanical). It comes with two watch bands--a black that comes installed, and an extra tan one. Both are leather, and while they seem a little plasticky at first, the pre-installed one loosened up pretty quickly.

As you can probably see from the product info, it has a see-the-guts-of-it "skeleton" design that I find attractive, mainly because I like things that work. However, a black ring around the inside edge appears to be made of plastic, which seems like a cheap shortcut even on a watch of this price.

But the only thing that really bothers me about this watch is that I can't see the hands! Granted, I started needing reading glasses a couple of years ago (I'm 48), but the hands are thin and black, and they just don't stand out enough on the dark skeleton face background. I tried looking down to read the time while driving, and I just couldn't tell the time safely. None of my other watches presents the same challenge.

In short, it's a nice watch, and a good value for the modest price, but if you like the look, you might check to see if you can get someone to daub some glow-in-the-dark on the hands for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to love this watch, August 26, 2013
From the pictures to receiving this watch in person, it looks awesome. If you are looking for more rugged industrial/steam punkish look then this watch does not disappoint. The skeletal cutout and gears showing through visually makes this a stunning watch. I used to receive quite a few compliments when wearing this watch. I personally liked the thickness, but as some other reviewers have mentioned it definitely is thicker than your average watch, but who wants average? Unfortunately there are some major flaws that I almost found it hard to give three stars.

As other reviewers have mentioned the hands are way too small for this watch. They get lost in the skeletal cutout and gears. In low light they are impossible to see. I don't understand why the hands are not bigger for this type of watch. Thicker hands would have complimented this watch and actually make it functional. This was the main design flaw in the watch.

The second flaw is that it is terrible in keeping time. It ran extremely fast and would be out of sync in a day or two. I was constantly setting the hands. A couple of times a week can start getting annoying. When I bought this watch I did not read any reviews about the watch not keeping time, so maybe the watch I received was defective.

The last thing was the black band broke a couple of months ago. It did not last a year, which is a pretty short life span for a watch band. Again, maybe I just received a faulty unit. It does come with a second watch band in brown, but I don't wear anything that would complement the band.

So for the past few months the watch has been gracing my nightstand. I could buy another band, but with the other flaws I am not sure if it is worth the effort. As I mentioned in the beginning and the title this watch is visually stunning and I really wanted to like this watch, but too many flaws.

Now disillusioned with watches, I have reverted to use my phone for telling time. It took some time having a naked left wrist, but I was able to tough it out. Now I am not sure if I can handle another harsh breakup with a watch because of terrible flaws since the beginning of our relationship.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful watch, 2 different band colors, but one design flaw may or may not be important to tyou, February 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is actually a beautiful piece, especially if you have a guy who usually prefers a sports watch but sometimes needs a dress watch for dressier occasions. This one won't break the bank, but it has a look of a far pricier watch than it actually is for those occasions.

Better yet, it comes with 2 band colors both in leather: tan and black so you can easily match one's belt and shoes with accessorizing the watch for the evening or day as well.

I personally prefer a watch with an all gold band if worn daily so that you don't have to wear out the band taking it on and off for showering or swimming, but for that occasional dressy outing, this works perfectly.

The face being a skeleton of the watch creates a more stylish and interesting look for the piece of jewelry and quite frankly if you are a woman who loves a large watch, it can flow both ways just because of the beauty of the piece. The fancy box it comes in equals the look of the watch.

That said, I have to agree with the other reviewer who mentioned it being difficult to read at times. I find the same problem and concur. The hands being small and the cut out making dark areas of the watch, they often blend in together and can cause reading the hand incorrectly.

But for the value, it's not a constant problem and not one that would make one set aside the watch in favor of another in our opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun piece and a good value, August 21, 2012
Every collection eventually needs a skeleton watch and for the money, this one is a nice example. I agree with the previous reviewer who pointed out that the hands are a bit hard to read, but this certainly isn't a pilot-style, high-legilibiity watch and more of an art piece, so not an issue for me. I like how the interchangeable bands have a little latch mechanism that makes swapping them out a breeze. The finish and quality seem fine and I also like the quality of the bands. I wear this once in a great while for variety and it always get a comment or two because it is so striking and unique. It is not for me, however, a "daily driver" due to its size and the legibility. I also only wear it in the office and would never consider it for weekend /sport wear. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cool automatic watch at an affordable price, August 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It used to be that a self-winding aka automatic watch would set you back thousands of dollars. In this electronic age, Stuhrling has done an amazing job of building entirely mechanical watches that are wound simply by the movement of your body. This particular model also includes windows and cutouts of the face so that you can fully appreciate the mechanism. Watching the inner-workings turn, spin, and tick off time is mesmerizing. This would make a great, affordable gift for anyone who is a fan of Steam-Punk designs.

1.0 out of 5 stars piece of garbage, April 29, 2014
This watch looks nice, however, after less that one week of use, it stopped working. Its not worth one dollar!

5.0 out of 5 stars great watch, April 25, 2014
very well made and works great. Many comments on how unique it is.
I would purchase another without a doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, March 28, 2014
It's very good~I like it.I will be back soon.So i will take ti more.It's very very good.It's very very nice.

2.0 out of 5 stars It looks neat on the site., September 22, 2013
It looks neat and it was okay when it came until you look closer and touch the craftsmanship. I returned it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›