Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stuhrling Original Men's 168S.33551 Classic Automatic Skeleton Round Black IP Watch Set
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

VINE VOICEon July 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Reviewer Disclaimer: This was received as a Review Product for the Amazon Vine Program. This program does NOT compensate nor reward for positive reviews: [...]
Let me begin this review by stating that it's not the 168S.33551 is a 'bad' watch, rather its greatest fault lies in pretending it's something a great deal more than it is.

To explain, Stuhrling does a fantastic job of marketing their watches as upper end, also listing MSRPs accordingly. Unboxing a Stuhrling is an impressive thing, likewise the see-through display of their skeleton watches. Swappable bands (the alternative grey is snazzy) is a nice plus as well.

The problem is, these initial impressions are merely surface level. The 168S.33551 struggles to keep a consistent time, even when properly wound plus tethered to a very good watch winder. Also, build quality and feel is quite poor. Watch weight plus materials are clearly not as touted, with cheaper materials both on the casing plus represented within the watch's inner workings. Watch face does a poor job in diffusing light, leaving an almost hazy look to the displayed time. My wife's first impression wasn't any more positive: she thought the watch, 'looked better in the picture' and 'seemed cheap.'

As a comparison point, I have a highest end Omega Double Eagle Constellation plus a comparable Citizen EcoDrive to compare the 168S.33551 against. While I expected no overlap with the former (the Constellation is a magnificent timepiece), the 168S.33551 unfortunately also pales in comparison to the latter possessing a similar price point.

Thus and in sum: the 168S.33551 is arguably not a watch for someone who both knows and appreciates watches. Still, those looking for a snazzier looking, decent build watch at an affordable cost of entry could do a lot worse (i.e. fashion watches sporting poor mechanisms). Even more so as a gift, as Stuhrling goes a long way in celebrating the purchase experience plus generates compliments from folks admiring its dramatic styling.

FYI: Note the small-ish 2-year warranty.
VINE VOICEon August 22, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The watch itself is OK. It keeps accurate time. It has a sophisticated face dial and a simply but stylish black case. It comes with two exchangeable leather straps. The price that Amazon.com charges is very reasonable for such a watch. On the watch itself, here are my takes:

Likes:
- Keeps accurate time
- Self winding with a manual winding option
- Sophisticated skeleton face dial
- Transparent back case
- 40mm size

Dislikes:
- This is a very thick watch
- It is also heavy for a 40mm watch

On the other hand, the branding and marketing of this watch is suspicious. The company claims to have a Swiss heritage but the watch has nothing to do with Swiss. The movement is believed to a well-regarded quality product made by a Chinese company for OEM watches. The MSRP tries to project a high-end image and the literatures that come with the watch try to give an impression that this is a Swiss product. The packaging tries to mimic high-end products but fails badly. The quality of the gift box was poor. The cutout in the box liner to fit the watch and the extra strap was roughly made. The silkscreen printing on the gift box was definitely a tell-tale sign of the watch's Chinese origin based on its font choice and print quality. The true origin of the product was not clearly disclosed anywhere. I find this practice to be objectionable.
on December 20, 2012
I got this watch during a lightning deal so I paid less than $100 for it, which to me is about the right price. The watch is a good size and the movements are very smooth. Its fun to occasionally look at the mechanisms working. It has stood up to semi regular use for a while now without any problems. Some reviewers have stated that it doesn't keep accurate time, which I feel this watch does not really have any issue with. it always stays within seconds for me. If anything if you want a watch that will never lose a single second then get a high end watch. This watch is a really nice low middle range watch that is perfect for semi regular use or even a nice gift. If you want the watch to never lose it's charge you need to either put it in a watch winder or wear it quite frequently or you will need to set the time again which really is no big issue.
on June 21, 2013
This is an unusual watch AND a conversation piece! I wanted something different for my husband who likes watches.....but doesn't want to pay the big bucks. The watch is definately a big bucks watch at a small bucks price! It can be worn at anytime and any place. He loves it!
on March 23, 2014
I bought this for my husband for Christmas. He absolutely loved its aesthetics, and after wearing it almost every day for almost 4 months, he's very satisfied with it's performance. I loved the packaging it came in. He says the band is very comfortable, and the bold face is easy to read. EVERYONE comments on it.

Reading other reviews, I have to say no, it doesn't look like a $1000 watch, but it is an excellent value for the price (I paid under $100 for it). If he takes it off for more than a day or two, he does have to wind it, but that is to be expected with a self-winding watch. It is thicker than many watches (probably about a quarter inch), so if you want a sleeker profile, look elsewhere. It even took a brief dip--not thinking, he put his hands in a full sink of dishes without taking off his watch first--so we can vouch for the water resistance.

Overall, I would definitely buy this again.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I find it a little bit difficult to review an item such as a watch. Most of the value in a watch is wrapped up in your own subjective judgements of style, and somewhere on the planet, someone will like or hate anything. That said, I tried to keep my comments somewhat objective, with my more subjective comments at the end.

The first impression is very favorable. The packaging looks professional and screams "precision". For anyone old enough to remember what a finely made slide rule was, the package is very suggestive of how you might expect to receive a precision instrument. The case is designed to hold the watch, laying flat, as well as an extra band. As a gift, it would probably make an excellent impression, especially by the type of person attracted to a watch that shows the inner gear mechanisms.

Once you open the box and pick up the watch, the word that comes to mind is heavy. I don't have a scale sensitive enough to measure it, but it is one of the heavier watches I have seen. Wearing it, I didn't find the weight to be especially burdensome, but I generally don't mind heavy jewelry.

The watch is also a fairly large size. I have average size wrists, the the diameter looks OK on me, although it is definitely a larger watch. If you have small arms and wrists, it might be overpowering.

The most unusual dimension is the thickness. This is the thickest watch I have ever seen, probably the result of the visible mechanism and the need for clear crystals on both side of the watch. I could imagine the watch being thick enough to get caught (and scratched) in everyday use. If you wear dress shirts with a button down cuff, it might be a tight fit.

The watchbands seem to be a nice grade of leather, and they look slick, at least when they are brand new. There were two included, a shiny black band, and a more dull medium gray.

The watch and self-winding mechanisms are very cool to watch, both from the front and back sides. You can watch the gears turning and the precise click of a second. It is somewhat mesmerizing to watch (at least for me).

The hands are very thin and have a curved style. They can be difficult to see, especially in dim light because they blend in with the visible mechanics. In dim light, it is just about impossible to tell what time it is.

So when you add it all up, you have a "cool" looking watch, but certainly not the most practical timekeeper. It is big, heavy, and thick, and not the easiest dial to read.

As for my opinion of the styling- It has that 1980's look to it-not really elegant, but not really nerdy either. It is certainly fun to watch, at least for a few minutes. Personally, I don't really like it, and I am an engineer, normally attracted to stuff like this. Your mileage may vary.
on November 7, 2012
Since I've worn this watch, most everyone that I hang out with has commented on it. It seems to grab a lot of attention without being too flashy. As far as the accuracy of the time goes, the only times I need to adjust it are when I forget to wear it and the watch stops completely.

Pros:
Automatic, self winding, no battery needed.
Keeps time well.
Grabs attentions.
Not too flashy.
Comes with two easily swapped bands. Black and grey.
Light in weight.

Cons:
Will stop completely if not worn or wound after a couple days.
Minute and Hour hand can be slightly hard to see against the skeleton background.
review image review image
on April 23, 2013
Let's start off by saying the packaging is nothing short of stellar. I read many reviews before purchasing and was unsure with this being my first auto wind watch. Actually at this price point I was almost less concerned with how well it kept time, more looking for a nice high end looking watch. I have had the watch for a little over a week, and it keeps great time, and looks great as well. It came with a black and gray band. Both bands seem to be of good quality, and the watch has a good weight. Many complained of the weight, but I would rather something feel built well than chintzy. The watch is a little thicker because of the inner workings, but is no larger than my previous battery relic watch. Overall the watch looks even better in person, is a great buy at around $100, and keeps great time as well. I would buy another Stuhrling watch.
on February 21, 2013
This is a lovey watch, which comes in a neat box with 2 bands (black and dark gray) to switch out as you see fit. My first order of this watch, the second hand had broke off, but with amazon as always with wonderfull customer service, I recieved another quickly and was in perfect working order. The watch is a bit thick in highth, to contain all the workings, so be aware, it is not a flat against the wrist styled watch. But is beautifull, and neat to watch the workings inside move. :-)
VINE VOICEon October 10, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm an old-school gentleman, I like wristwatches and think it's vulgar to be pulling out my cell phone to check the time. A chance to have a nice watch like this was too good to pass up.

Pluses are that it's a very, very good-looking watch. I love the skeleton movement and being able to see the gears and such in motion. It appeals to my steampunkish sensibilities. It's self-winding, no batteries required, which is nice. And I've received a number of remarks and compliments when others spot it (including my doctor, who is a fan of watches).

Minuses are minor: it's a bit thick, not quick the tuna-can-sized watches you find here and there, but still a tiny bit larger than I'm used to. There are times I wished it had glow-in-the-dark hands to make reading it easier in the dark. And if I put it aside for a couple of days (I often don't wear it on weekends unless I'm Dressing Up), I have to remember to shake it a few times and reset it to be sure it's keeping accurate time.

But so far, so good. This is a well-made, good-looking watch that keeps good time. And it looks smashing when you're battling mad scientists or hunting aetherial menaces.