5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding quality for the price.
Published on January 10, 2010 by Joseph Dunton

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY
To the service department of sturling,

Published on October 8, 2010 by ts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding quality for the price., January 10, 2010
This review is from: Stuhrling Original Men's 179A.331613 Leisure Raven Diablo Automatic Skeleton Black Rubber Strap Watch (Watch)
I recently found myself needing to replace my trusty 10 yr old Seiko Kinetic. I have always enjoyed watches and rely on them so this was not a hasty purchase. After many hours of hunting and research I finally decided to buy the Stuhrling Original Raven Diablo (Silvertone) from Amazon. So far this has turned out to be an excellent decision and I am extremely pleased.

I had no specific brand in mind when I began my research-I simply wanted an affordable timepiece that met the following criteria:
-automatic mechanical movement
-rubber adjustable strap
-water resistance
-luminescent hands and markers
-quality crystal
-interesting (might as well enjoy it too, right?)

It is very clear to me that Stuhrling Original aims to make the purchase of a new watch a special event for the "common man". This was clear to me before the watch was even out of the box as the packaging is very nicely done. Not necessary, but certainly appreciated.

The movement thus far has proven to be very accurate and lost only 11 seconds the first 24 hrs and only 2-7 seconds over each 24 hr period since-excellent accuracy for a mechanical watch out of the box and better than I could have hoped for. The black silicone-like rubber strap is robustly built, very soft, flexible and "grabby" so the strap keepers actually work. I am extremely happy with the readability in the dark. My concerns in this area were put to rest the first night when after only 2 hrs out-of-box in moderate household lighting the hands and markers were still very visible following 8 hrs sleep.

The watch is very ruggedly built and I feel that the quality is outstanding for the price paid. I have received many comments on the watch and find myself looking at it more often than is really necessary. I definitely like the fact that it's a skeleton, and the moving parts are visible. There are a lot of nicely done details and I especially like the use of skeleton-ized carbon fiber on the dial and the black PVD coated case. I should also note that the bezel has a finely brushed stainless steel appearance and is shinier than what appears in some of the photos.

One potential drawback for some is the fact that this is NOT a small watch and with the grippy nature of the strap can create issues when donning/wearing tighter long sleeves. A minor issue for me, but one worth being aware of.

Time will tell in regards to durability and longevity of the watch but I am expecting good things. I'm extremely happy with this purchase to this point and feel that this timepiece is an excellent value.

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, October 8, 2010
To the service department of sturling,

July 14, 2009, I purchased a Sturling Raven Diablo watch. This past February I sent in my to be serviced because something seemed to be loose in the movement. Keep in mind, the watch was not even 1 year old and was returned to me 4 weeks later, fixed? Today October 8, 2010, to my surprise, my watch stopped working and when I pulled the pin to set the watch before winding, the pin came all the way out and the watch still does not work after manually winding it. !!! This is disappointment and unfortunately reflects badly on your product line. I am afraid to send in my timepiece because I should not waste another $20.00 and the fear that something else will go wrong.

I cannot in good faith every buy a sturling product or recommend one to someone looking for a quality timepiece.

Sincerely,

Todd Shrager

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, too bad it's almost gone...., March 26, 2010
So apparently I got mine as it is being phased out. I had to spend about 20 minutes on Google searching for a site that still had black in stock. Amazon has the black/silver, but I just like the all-black better and it was worth the search for me. That being said, if the all-black was totally gone and I had to get the silver/black, I'd still be happy as a pig in slop. First, the watch is clearly a "knock-off" of the Bell & Ross. One big difference: this watch costs 5% or less of what the B&R costs. So, is it the same quality? No. Is it the same fit and finish? No. But it's sure as heck a lot more than 5% of the quality and fit and finish. Probably closer to 50% fo the quality and 60-65% of the fit and finish. So the way I see it, I got $2,000 worth of watch for $200. I'll take that. This watch is big and relatively heavy, but I am surprised at how comfortable it is on my wrist. Since I have not had it long, I cannot speak to the durability, but for now I am extremely happy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for viewing, terrible for basic function., May 14, 2012
I receive compliments about this watch on a daily basis, solely due to the fact that this watch is absolutely stunning in pictures and in person.

I work in a grocery store in the seattle area. Constantly I am reminded of the shoddy quality of this watch. Not because of the compliments, but the reminders that ensure that I do not forget that every time someone compliments this watch I am forced to share my experience regarding the stuhrling brand. I hear from many of my "well to do" customers (typically watch fiends and lovers of infinitesimally small mechanical movements in general) that my watch is "really cool".

This is a good reminder of why a terrible quality watch is allowed to exist in this world. Why the Invicta brand constantly invigorates the styling of watches and still produces a watch which must be sent to service on a regular basis.

Everyday I am forced to tell my customers as well as coworkers that it is not a worthwhile investment as far as time, much less money. I spent a few hundred dollars on the watch and in a short period of 9 months have spent a considerable volume of time and a large percentage of the watch initial cost to ship it back and forth to service. To shorten: "This purchase is not worth your time and effort."

A regular customer from many years who is seeking to rebuild two of my 1800s elgin watch collection pieces shares this viewpoint. "A watch is only great if consistency is a tenant of the watch." This watch advances seemingly at random five minutes to every second day. I maintain my automatic watches with precision using my automatic watch winder. If for some reason I do not maintain the automatics using the watch winder during a night, I am wearing the watch.

Unfortunately I have the privilege of owning another stuhrling watch which shares exactly the same movement. It shares the same troubles as the raven diablo. You might say I am a glutton for punishment ("Fool me twice shame on me") but this watch also had to be sent in for service, model name stuhrling aviator. Unfortunately for me also the same movement which I have just ordered from a cheap automatic watch movement maker. Exactly the same to the hundredth of the millimeter as a chinese made movement I shipped to my house for $30. Same details with scrolling on the back face of the counterweight.

The bad:
The watch face will scratch constantly due to it's 'krysterna' branded construction. It does not care if your main function in life is manufacturing toothpaste or testing 500 count eqyptian cotton on swedish king mattresses. It will scratch when faced with anything else that you face in day-to-day life.

All the time my citizen eco drive keeps on ticking. My tag keeps on going, Hell, even my skagen and relic after ten years of ticking along on quartz crystals (given more than a few batteries) keep going. Combine the minimal cost of the skagen, tag, and eco-drive citizen and you find nearly 20 years of combined time keeping excellency. Unfortunately stuhrling has yet to show any function in time keeping, which in my opinion is the main function of having a complicated and often expensive mechanical contraption always connected to your wrist.

I have recently decided to stop wearing both of my stuhrling timepieces in order to avoid embarrassment and added complication of having inaccurate timepieces attached to me at all times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised - Great watch for the price, May 6, 2010
Always have thought of Stuhrling watches as a bit of a joke but I couldn't ignore the design of this piece. It is a stunnin, skeleton movement in the vain of Bell & Ross watches and a fraction of the price. I own Tags and Omegas and this easily holds its own in terms of presence and design.
For $200 whats not to love?

1.0 out of 5 stars Mechanism not functioning, January 10, 2013
A couple hours after i wore the watch, it stopped functioning. I tried to charge it by winding it but it did not work. I did a little research on the internet and found a disturbing blog saying that Stuhrling watches are assembled in China, with poor quality control and they come very dirty on the inside, what makes their mechanism work poorly. The only solution they give is to have it open, oiled and cleaned up.
Amazon, Ill be looking forward for your support in order to find a satisfactory solution, as I frequently buy for me and my relatives through your portal, I don't hesitate that you will keep our good commercial relationship and make it up for me.

[...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch if it didn't fall apart, March 12, 2012
JRF "JRF" (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I really liked the watch. I have the all black version. Less than a year after receiving, the second hand has fallen off. Plan to get it fixed, but disappointing nonetheless. It's a hassle to get it fixed by Stuhrling and costs over $20 just to send it to them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stylish yet broken..., January 13, 2012
My girlfriend gave me this watch for Christmas. I wore it for one day, but couldn't set the time; the adjustment dial was stuck. After pulling part of a fingernail off trying to get the dial to slide out so I could set the time, the whole dial, pin and all, came out of the watch. I read one other review that had the same problem. We sent it back a couple of days later (Dec. 29th). We are still waiting for the refund so we can purchase another one since we can't exchange it. I really do like the watch and would love a fully functioning one. Hopefully the new one works properly. If I can update this review I will once we have a new watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!, February 2, 2011
DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS!!!

I am a watch collector and own several rare watches that i treasure. I was looking for something special. I always thought i wanted a watch with carbon fiber, but i was not impressed with what is offered on the market. Prices for Carbon Fiber-faced watches seem to range between the $500 - $15,000 range. But that wasn't the main issue for me. The main issue is how to you blend the Carbon Fiber with the technical aspect of an Automatic Watch? How to bring something Traditional and Modern together? I never liked the solutions i saw from Firms such as OMEGA, TAG HEUER, RAYMOND WEIL, BELL&ROSS, PANERAI, but to name a few....then i saw this watch! UNBELIEVABLE!! so beautiful in every detail. The pictures do not do this watch justice! I chose this version with the aluminum because it looked very technical and sporty and i liked the contrast. I love every detail of this watch. My personal preference is to have a leather band, as i do not like Rubber Straps. But, once again, even the Rubber Strap of this watch is special... it isn't a one-dimentional strap. It has detail, depth, character. It looks like the strap was chiseled out of a solid block of rubber. I really must say, the detail level on this watch is extraordinary. Even the screws that fasten down the crown have a special 'S' pattern to them that i did not notice before. The box and presentation (packaging) of this watch is also of the highest level.
I would have paid much more for this watch.

Not that it is important to me, but everyone that sees this watch asks me about it.... much more then my Omega's on Panerai watches that i own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, January 7, 2011
Just received this watch today and I'm extremely impressed with the build quality, feel, and packaging. I got it in black but they are out of stock now. I love it so much I'm considering buying the silvertone also. The watch has decent weight to it (making it feel expensive). As of now it keeps time perfectly and looks unreal. I absolutely suggest you buy this watch if your looking for a moderately priced great looking watch for everyday.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›