Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 29, 2013
I'm giving this 2 stars instead of only one because it is a very nice looking watch. However, as a time keeping device, it just doesn't cut it. Maybe it was only mine, but it seemed that the dial rested weird on my wrist/hand. The way this dial worked was to turn it clockwise would wind the watch, counterclockwise would set the time. But it seemed that as I wore it, the dial would rub against my wrist and turn itself, causing it to jump ahead. Everytime I looked at it, it would be 15-30 minutes off. I'd then reset it, only to have it off again shortly thereafter. So after one day, I regretfully have given up on this watch.
on January 29, 2013
I agree with the other reviewers' observation regarding the MSRP of Sturhling watches...a quick Google will find many articles on the topic of over-inflated MSRPs on many Asian-made designer watches. This is an unfortunate, but not uncommon practice -- forewarned is forearmed. Once you understand this, you will find that Sturhling and others can offer some rather unique, good quality watches at affordable prices. They look far more expensive than they really are and you will get lots of compliments on them.

I for one, own several Sturhling watches and was well aware of this before buying this watch and I am not complaining about it (I also paid $80).

Onto the review:

1. Heft -- This is a big watch and feels substantial on your wrist, you definitely know you are wearing a watch. I personally like this feeling but it might bother some with smaller wrists.

2. Design -- I find the skeleton-design visually striking with the simplistic movement (no sweep hand) in a different layout than other mechanicals as it is placed in a hortizontal line across the face. It really leaves much open space to show off the skeleton -- huge see-through crystals on both sides are clear and substantial. Very pretty. Only complaint is that the Sturhling Original logo is right in the middle of where the movement is - in other watches I wouldn't care as you can see most of the movement. In this case, it distracts from the center mounted movement of the watch. It is hard to tell from the photos how distracting this is until you see it in person. A higher placement of the logo above the movement or an arched placement at the very top or bottom curve of the crystal would have been preferable.

3. Materials - Watch band is a thick and chunky leather/cowhide with alligator embossing. It feels solid and secure on your wrist, the embossing is a nice touch. Stainless steel case is thick with a nice matte shine that doesn't show fingerprints too much -- though with all the crystal on both sides you'll find youself using the enclosed polishing cloth a bit just to keep it shiny. Crystal is thick and substantial. The movement winds confidently with a nice amount of resistance and stops when fully wound. FYI -- clockwise winds the watch, counter-clockwise sets the watch, there is no pull out stem on this model. If you have owned other automatics, this might throw you at first but easily adjusted to.

All in all a great watch for the money and a nice addition to my collection.

*****************

9/13/2013 UPDATE: I love this watch, it is my favorite amongst many but it has not lasted the test of time. Watch broke after 9 months of on and off wear (I rotate my watch wearing between several watches). The minute hand simply fell off of the spindle and is floating around inside the watch.

It is past the Amazon return date (I thought Amazon was offering a 1 year warranty on these back when I ordered it, this doesn't seem the case now but I could be mistaken). Now I will have to pay $20 + shipping to send back to Stuhrling to have this fixed. Very disappointed and am revising my review to 2 stars - this watch should have lasted longer than 9 months.
on February 1, 2013
I purchased this watch as part of a Gold Box deal and its a decent watch. It's a large watch but because the back is crystal not metal it's a fairly light watch that is comfortable to wear all day. However, it has one big flaw. The crown does not pull out to set the time. You wind the watch by turning the crown clockwise, and set the time by turning the crown counter-clockwise. What this means is that the watch has trouble keeping accurate time because when the crown rubs the wrong way against my wrist it changes the time. As a result, I have to reset the time on the watch more frequently than I should have to.
44 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2013
I bought it to get a great deal and flip it for profit. But I must admit that I can't let go of it!! Beautiful timepiece. Only issue is the wind function. Dial get turned by accident and will change time very easy with normal daily use.
on February 6, 2013
well, the watch works very well, its a great quality at an affordable price. delivery was very fast and service was excellent. the item came as described by seller and watch is in mint condition. i recommend the watch to everyone and its very affordable and its a top notch item. this watch will get you noticed. thank you have a great day..smiles..
on February 15, 2013
A picture doesn't always tell the story. I ordered this watch because the price was too good to pass up on the "daily gold box" deal. Upon arrival, the watch didn't match the picture, i.e. it was really gaudy (shiny) and very large. I might have kept it but the crown button couldn't be pushed in so it kept moving the watch hands forward (not back) with every touch. No possibility to review the actual performance but generally disappointed in the actual appearance. Opinions will differ. Just wasn't what I expected. A short video showing the watch on a hand would have helped.
on February 4, 2013
I bought this to use as a demonstration piece showing students what is inside a mechanical watch. If I had to use this as a wrist watch I would choose differently. It's too big to fit under a buttoned sleeve and when you wind it it is not like anything else I have used. You set in by turning the stem one direction and wind it by turning the stem in the other direction. All this without pulling the stem out. I can see turning the stem inadvertently and resetting the time.

It would certainly make a statement for the person wearing it, but I'm not sure if I would want to be associated with that statement.
on February 24, 2013
This was the worst design for a watch I have ever seen. The number one job of a watch is to tell time. But if you accidentally turn the crown backwards, or bump it, the time changes. They could have recessed the crown or made the crown smaller so it would not get moved so easily. I will never even look at buying a Stuhlring watch again. I am very glad Amazon made sending it bask so easy.
on February 27, 2013
I do like the watch very much, very clean look, the band is nice and fits well. The lack of 5 stars is related to the open face not actually being very open. By that I mean the "guts" are so small you dont really have the ability to see the "action" mostly you see your wrist skin. Would buy again, just not like other open face watches where you see the gears in action...
on February 8, 2013
This is a beautiful watch. I bought it for my son and when I saw how effeminate it was, I decided to make the supreme sacrifice and keep it for myself. As karma would have it, this watch doesn't work. It stops and starts at will. I'm returning it.

See 1 answered question