4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Clean & Classic
I bought this watch for my boyfriend for christmas and he loves is. The face is very sleek and uncluttered, and it looks very stylish yet not too formal. I am very happy that he likes his watch since I had no idea what kind to get him!

Published on March 2, 2009 by J. Gremillion

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality
I purchased the watch from Amazon last year and used it for about six or seven months. Then it stopped due to water damage to the movement. On the back of the case, it is clearly stated that it is water resistance, and I used it mainly for work and never wore it to swim or anything wet. My experience suggests poor case quality. Potential buyers be aware.

I...
Published on April 12, 2009 by B. Chang

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Clean & Classic, March 2, 2009
This review is from: Stuhrling Original Men's 601.33152 "Classic Ascot" Stainless Steel Watch with Leather Band (Watch)

I only gave this 4 stars because 1.) The picture of the watch on Amazon shows the words "Swiss Quartz" on the face, however in person it does not, and 2.) There is indeed a note in the box saying that if you give the watch a 5-star review on amazon, you will get am extended warranty on the watch. Very shady.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, April 12, 2009

I am now trying to get warranty coverage for the watch.

Update: I just received a reply from Stuhrling on warranty coverage. I will need to ship the watch back to the company at my own cost plus a $20 check to cover shipping the watch back. I bought the watch for well under $100 and now have spend about $30 more to have it serviced under warranty. This is rather unreasonable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good-looking watch!, April 21, 2009
Kenny (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
I just received this watch.

To address a couple of concerns from previous reviewers that may have been corrected by Stuhrling and/or Amazon:

-- My watch does say "Swiss Quartz" on the dial. The back of the case also states "Swiss Quartz Movement."

-- Stuhrling did send a one-year warranty extension offer for leaving feedback. There is now NO stipulation that the feedback must be 5 stars to qualify for the extension.

The watch itself looks great--very slim case, with a minimalist design that is very understated. It's certainly not a flashy watch, but it is very classy.

I considered purchasing a Longines or Junghans watch of similar design, but Stuhrling provided the look I wanted, at a much better price point.

The band is a shiny, faux-alligator leather. I was not expecting the faux alligator pattern, but it makes the watch a bit dressier than it would be with a plain leather band. I have a small wrist, and there are enough holes on the band so that I will not need to add another hole.

I can't comment on the durability of the watch yet, but if I experience any problems I will update my review.

All in all, it's a great looking watch at a reasonable price!

2.0 out of 5 stars skip this one, November 5, 2008
mine came also without a "swiss quartz" label. returned the watch right away - it is not worth $100.

also - just an FYI - Stuhrling includes a little card in the package saying that if you write 5-star review on amazon.com they will extend your warranty. so much for those few 5-star reviews here...

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch no longer keeps time properly, less than 6 months, March 23, 2012
I purchased this watch about 6 months ago and after only 4 months I noticed that it was losing between 3-5 minutes each day. However, this morning, the time was over 10 minutes behind. I have taken great care of this watch (no drops, no water, etc.), so I can only attribute the lack of functionality to a manufacturer problem. Obviously, a watch that does not keep proper time is more or less useless. I will not buy from this company again and would like to warn others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value! Lotsa Bang For The Buck!, October 30, 2010
I admit I'm a slobbering watch fanatic and I have collected many over the years. I figure there are worse vices to have. I was looking for a everyday watch on Amazon and these designs caught my eye. A Swiss Movement watch for $60? Really? So I did some research on the web about Stuhrling watches and people seemed to have a positive response to these watches.

My birthday came around and my wife asked me what I wanted. I liked the way this watch looked, and at $60 I figured the gamble was minimal. So she placed the order and I waited for the watch to arrive with a good bit of skepticism. I was thinking I was going to get one of those Rolex knockoff type watches one would find in a night market in Hong Kong. When the watch arrived and was presented to me on my birthday (I acted surprised!) it was in a beautiful orange box covered by a black and gold outer sleeve. Well done for $60! Presentation was excellent!

I took a look at the watch and it was handsome, well built and a lot of attention was paid to detail. The face is clean and the "numbers" (not really numbers as they are lines) and hands were clear and clearly stamped. On the bottom of the face was in very small writing "swiss movement". I understand from my research that the movement is in fact swiss but the watches are assembled somewhere in Asia. On the buckle was a very small Sturhling symbol etched into it. Its this kind of attention to detail that completely delights me.

The only negatives that I have are the "Kyrsterna crystal", when you tap it with your fingernail, it sounds pretty much like plastic. The second is that the watch band seems not quite as meaty than the leather bands on my other watches, perhaps this was to compliment the very fine lines of the watch? Or was it to cut some cost? Perhaps both? For this price, I can't really fault them. These two reasons are the only reason I give the rating 4 versus 5 stars but I tell you I can't be more delighted in the value that I got.

I have some higher end watches in my collection like Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Movado and this watch can keep up with those guys. There may be a few corners cut to save costs but they are hard to notice or areas where its not that big of a deal. I have had the watch now for a couple weeks and I LOVE this watch! Its been on my wrist for the last two weeks and its been keeping great time and I have been getting compliments on it. I feel like I found a "diamond in the rough"

Overall, if you like the way this watch looks and are thinking of getting it, as a self proclaimed slobbering watch fan, I highly recommend it!

** As a side note I am not being paid nor am I being coerced to write a good review. Sturhing does ask that owners that like their watches write a positive review and they will extend the warranty another 12 months. Honestly I don't care all that much for the warranty as the minute you start to use it from any company you get hit with many "exceptions and complications". So honestly, I am writing this because I am truly happy with the watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfection as it proclaims., December 9, 2010
The tiny thing I have noticed, and to me it is a one of the very important things in watch making, 12 o'clock is not pointing true Zero degree. Basically what it means is, the dial face has turned clockwise about 2 degree. After I noticed that, the more it seems obvious, and to a point kinda annoying. Overall, I like this watch don't get me wrong, plain, simple, classy. But with all the self-promote wordings (direct quote from it own box: "Stuhrling Original is an intimately exclusive timepiece intended for seekers of originality and individuality. Every Stuhrling creation is defined through the watch making tradition of technique, technology and craftsmanship, yet sports an artistic edge that redefines perfection."), please go back and focus on making the dial face to the right direction and orientation first. Thanks. My apology to those Stuhrling fans and company, for it is only my personal opinion and observation.

5.0 out of 5 stars An elegant watch at a low price, December 6, 2008
Georg Einarsson (Reykjavik, Iceland) - See all my reviews
This watch is, I believe, an imitation of a timepiece from the Longines La Grande Classique collection, one that sells for over $1,000. Here's a picture: [...]

Anyway, I've had my Ascot watch for a few months now, and I've been very happy with it. This is my second Stuhrling watch (I also own the Uptown Chic, a beautiful watch). The Ascot is very light, very simple, and very elegant. It appears to be well-made, and the leather band is good-quality and durable. I set out to buy a very sophisticated watch at a rock-bottom price. Mission accomplished. I'd recommend this watch and the Stuhrling brand to anybody.

4.0 out of 5 stars First Dress Watch, Generally Satisfied, November 27, 2010
I ordered watch through Amazon Prime with 1-day shipping (needed it for an occasion). The shipment and delivery were perfect as usual with Amazon. No problems with the packaging of the watch as well.

However, the watch itself had two issues (minor but I'm a tad too perceptive):
1) There is a scuff mark on the side of the leather band. Minor but you can notice it with a once-over. Luckily, I do plan on replacing the watch band soon because the leather is a bit too glossy for my tastes.
2) The watch face is not perfectly centered. What I mean is that the watch face is rotated a tiny smidge to the left. Now, I realize this defect would take too much to replace/fix and at the price I paid the watch will serve all its needs. Plus, I can offset it by focusing on the center of the dial and not the edge that touches the bands where the shift is easier to notice.

Other notes about the watch:
1) As mentioned above, the band is glossy faux-alligator skin. Soft leather on the inside but a tad stiff. Of course, it will loosen up over time and with usage.
2) The casing itself is not flat but resembles a shallow bowl. The back panel is about 1/2 the size of the face and the casing sides slope in.
3) 2-yrs limited warranty that can be increased to 3-yrs with a review on your reseller's website (here at Amazon, for me). The review was not required to be positive, but I am very impressed so far with the workmanship and quality of the watch at its price point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking watch, average quality band, April 25, 2013
I have worn this watch daily for nearly a year now and these are my findings

Pros
The watch is very sleek and looks great
No problems with water damage (used daily in shower and pool)
Keep the time accurately

Cons
The band is starting to fall apart and peel. In lots of areas the black has turned to a light grey were the faux leather was worn away.

Rate and Discover Movies