4.0 out of 5 stars Fine watch for the money
Published on October 9, 2012 by Captain Cai

Published 20 months ago by Deadwood

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine watch for the money, October 9, 2012
This review is from: Stuhrling Original Men's 959G.33111 Classic Ascot Paramount Swiss Quartz Ultra Slim Date Black Bezel Watch (Watch)
I was actually on Amazon taking a look at the Timex Weekender when my wife and I saw this watch on the daily deals site. Decided to go with the Stuhrling instead of the Timex because I'll be able to wear this with a greater variety of styles: goes great when you're dressed up or when you're casual. The Timex we felt would be a little too "hipster" to wear to certain events (though I guess if I were a real hipster I wouldn't care!). Also felt the Stuhrling was a fairly reliable brand (especially for the price: comes with a one or two year warranty)

A few things keeping me from giving this 5 stars: "Swiss Quartz" is a bit misleading. It makes it seem like this watch contains Swiss movement when actually a) it's not a mechanical watch at all (though that should be obvious) and b) it just means that the quartz itself came from there.

Also, the instructions warn the user not to try and adjust the date between the hours of 21:00 and 5:00 or risk damaging the watch. Really? Is this common among watches? Seemed a little comical to me...

Other than that we're pretty pleased with this watch. The face looks blue in certain angles, black at others. For the money it's a solid choice.

1.0 out of 5 stars The time was very hard to read due to the lack of contrast of the hands with the dark face of the watch, February 3, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed... Great Price, But Worth Much Less Than You Pay!, July 6, 2014
Watch bracelet (band) link connecting bracelet to the"top" of the watch head became unhinged roughly 3 weeks after purchase... I rarely wear watches (normally to church and dress-up events), so the watch had been worn 5 times max... Decided to wear the watch to a friend's 40th birthday a week later and the bracelet link connecting bracelet to the"bottom" of the watch head became unhinged... When examining the damage, it appears that there may have been a thin application of glue or a film affixing the links to the head...

Glanced at the 2-year warranty for the watch in prepartion for sending the watch back to Stuhrling for repairs. Unfortunately, it appears that Stuhrling's warranty is very poor and restrictive, as it doesn't cover any part of the watch that you can see -- only the mechanical portions. Futhermore, Stuhrling will charge you $40 for shipping both ways even if the repair is covered under warranty... Based on what I paid for the watch via an Amazon Lightning Deal, I will likely throw the watch in the trash rather than trying to get it fixed, as it also had a very awkward fit...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, March 2, 2014
This watch is the best one in my collection I seem tone wearing it the most. Easy to read, classy looking and it fits under my long sleeve shirts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch, February 17, 2013
I wear this everyday as a work watch. I should have chosen one that is easier to read and possibly during the night. But it is a good looking watch at a fair price. Shipping was on time

3.0 out of 5 stars nice and light... not so nice in dull light, February 13, 2013
nice and light... not so nice in dull light

contrast of dial is hard to read in any dull light... overall a nice lightweight watch for a great price

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product with wonderful price, January 18, 2013
great looks ...wonderful design...look way nicer than the actual cost of the watch..I would refer this to any one who wants to have a fashionable and classy watch on the wrist in a reasonable price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but not my 1st choice, December 4, 2012
I wanted a dress watch that can fit under the cuff easily for office use. Originally I have selected a few Bulova models but the dials seemed either too big or too small for my 6" wrist. Finally I settled for this which also fits the bill but I started to regret it after further reading of online forum reviews regarding Stuhrling watches, especially the part where Stuhrling watches are marketed on home shopping channels like QVC. When the watch arrived, I must say the picture here looks better than the real thing. Still, it is a pretty looking watch and from different angles or under different light, the dial colour varies from green to blue to black.

4.0 out of 5 stars Taken a beating and still works FLAWLESS!, September 6, 2014
Great watch! This this has taken a beating and still going! I wear it everyday to work and I must say, WOW still ticking and working perfectly!

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks cool, just not long lasting, October 11, 2014
Watch stopped working after a couple of months. Looks cool, just not long lasting.