5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value
Published on September 1, 2010 by G. Wascher

1.0 out of 5 stars Stuhrling Operetta Special DOA right out of the box
Published on September 8, 2011 by Rock Castle

1.0 out of 5 stars Stuhrling Operetta Special DOA right out of the box, September 8, 2011
This review is from: Stuhrling Original Men's 97.3345K2 Symphony Operetta Automatic Date Multi Function Rose Tone Brown Leather Strap Watch (Watch)
I am a big fan of Stuhrling watches and own several that haven't given my any issues. When this one arrived I was really taken with it's looks but extremely disappointed to find that the winding mechanism wasn't functioning. I placed it in the same automatic winder that I use for my other Stuhrlings and even after a 24 hour cycle it still failed to run at all. I contacted Stuhrling and they did send me a UPS shipping label but I have to wait 7-10 days for it to get back to them and then another 7-10 days for my replacement to arrive. I asked if they didn't have an expedited way to do that as I had already paid them and I was told "no". Not a great customer experience so far. That said, I will update this review when my replacement watch arrives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, September 1, 2010
Despite one reviewer's comments about how unusual this watch is, it is simply a "regulator" style with separate dials for hours, minutes abnd seconds. It is nicely styled and well made even though the Chinese assembly sometimes leaves something to be desired and the works do not have the "finished" artistic look of the damascened components of pockets watches of the period 1880-1920. But, for the price (at Amazon.com) it is a good, reliable time piece even if it does not have luminous hands which is hardly a fatal flaw. With all the radiation bombarding us every day from cell phones, computers and liquid crystal television displays I can do without being further irradiated by the hands of my watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, September 25, 2010
From the point of opening the package I was pleased with my buy. Within hours of wearing this watch for the first time I got my first set of approving comments from others along with some curious price inquiries from friends. Absolutely love this brand that I have another model on the way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Arrived Broken, October 2, 2013
The watch looks beautiful, but would not wind right out of the box. Requested a UPS return label...received 6 days later. Sent watch back and still waiting after 4 weeks. I was just informed it was just shipped. It appears Sturhling Watch Co. was closed for two weeks due to the Sukkot holiday...the entire company just closed down...no business! What's with that?

5.0 out of 5 stars A different design and unique, February 15, 2013
This Watch is a unique piece, is a piece that any one who appreciates design should have it, Don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch, nice product, as good as I saw in the pictures, November 17, 2012
The watch is really beautiful. I am very happy to wear it. The quality is impressive and the style not common. All family members have said is a Wonderful time piece, so I feel very good to be the owner of a Stuhrling time piece and definitely are very interested in buying more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good looks, November 30, 2010
Based on looks alone,this watch is a winner.Unfortunately,looks are only skin deep.Out of the box,this watch hasen't run on a consistant basis.As a piece of jewelery,it's a 10. As a timepiece, it's a 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars W O R L D ' S......G R E A T E S T......M Y S T E R I E S........N o. 1 , 3 1 3 , 1 3 1, July 10, 2010
Patricia "A Reader" (Queens, New York, and Denver, Co, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This timepiece, (Stuhrling Original Men's 97.3345K2 Special Reserve Operetta Automatic Watch), is truly magnificent to behold. Not only does it have a stunningly handsome face, is automatic, and water-resistant, but it also has a moon-phase feature, and features not only a second-hand on the bottom of the watch, (instead of the more usual and slightly more obtrusive second-sweep that covers the entire watch-face in other watches), but -- unlike any wrist-watch I have ever seen before), has a separate dial for the hour! Though -- probably to encompass all its many features -- it is slightly, (and I do mean slightly), thicker than many other watches, (at 12 mm depth for the case), this is truly an exceptional and outstanding, (and I do mean "outstanding"!) watch, by any standard!

Why then only four stars? Because -- there is a mystery here, and I cannot for the life of me discover the answer to it. Sadly, the mystery is not just for this watch alone -- but also for many other watches on display here on Amazon, and, sadly, probably elsewhere as well. I have chosen to give my views here, in a review of THIS particular wrist-watch, because it is, in so many other ways, truly
a masterpiece of the watch-maker's art. Why this ONE "missing element" is, indeed, missing from this watch, (and so many others), remains a great mystery -- at least to me.

No -- this mystery is NOT the number one mystery in the world. Many things -- such as how to stop global warming, what will happen in 2012, whether UFOs are real or figments of people's imaginations, how to cure various deadly ailments and diseases, how to end wars and prejudice, (and the flagrant, thoughtless use of four-letter words in everyday speech), how to make internet gaming/gambling legal in the USA again, why taxes, Congressional pay, and CEO salaries seem to be going up into the stratosphere, whilst the rest of us are either poor already, or are "middle class and sinking fast", and other vital issues -- are far more important. Still, there IS a mystery attached to this, and far too many other quality (and even lesser-priced, "value"), wrist-watches. And I want to know WHY this mystery -- which, unlike so many other mysteries, could be SO easily solved -- has not yet been solved.

The mystery, in a nutshell, is this: WHY is this wrist-watch, and others like it, truly usable for only 12 -21 hours a day? What???? How can I say THAT???? The answer is simple -- and sad. THIS WRIST-WATCH, AND SO MANY OTHERS LIKE IT -- DESPITE HAVING S_O MANY OTHER WONDERFUL FEATURES -- DOES NOT HAVE LUMINOUS, ("Glow-In-The-Dark"), hands!

Without having luminous hands, any watch becomes less and less legible as the sun goes down. True, one can always turn the light on at 3:AM, in a totally darkened room, to see what time it is on one's luminous-handless watch -- but why risk cataracts? A bedside clock could always be a remedy to this....but why spend extra money? (My own wrist-watch is a lady's Timex Expedition watch -- which has both luminous hands, and a nice, long strap, so that I can comfortably wear it, slightly loose, to bed. And know the time in the darkest of hours, WITHOUT turning on the light, and WITHOUT resorting to a bed-side clock...which I don't have and don't need!)

There are other "light-up" features for wrist-watches of course. Timex "Indiglo" is one of them -- and I do not like it at all. Indiglo not only shortens the battery life of my watch, (not an issue when dealing with automatic watches, of course) -- but it shines a bright light right into my eyes in the darkness. Talk about risking cataracts! (As for me, my eye-doctor says one is already forming in one of my eyes!)

So I am a great fan of luminous hands, (and hour dots -- or, if possible, luminous numbers), on wrist-watches. ALL wrist-watches! I know that watch-making is a continually-evolving art, that the artists who produce watches, (especially high-end watches), are justifiably proud of their art and profession, and that any danger of radiation from luminous hands has been steadily declining -- if not totally eliminated by now. So, I don't think I am asking too much, here, to say, PLEASE, sirs -- make watches that can be read, from luminous hands, twenty-four hours a day!

Adding this one feature to all the other features of modern wrist-watches, (and the great and amazing features of high-end wrist-watches), will solve this mystery, and make for happier customers. At least, it will make THIS customer happier. Much, much happier! Besides, adding luminous hands to more wrist-watches
will save on the batteries used for modern bedside clocks, and the electricity used for older bedside clocks. Not to mention the electricity people without clocks use, just to turn on the light in the middle of the night, to see the time on a luminous handless watch. This is admittedly a very small way to help the environment -- but it is, truly, a very real way to help the environment. Every little bit helps.

Not to mention the reduction in cataracts, world-wide.

I realize that this review has a light, humourous touch to it. But I really am in total and complete earnest here. PLEASE, watch manufacturers -- ADD this vital feature to all the luxurious ones on your magnificent creations, whether expensive or not. Put lumninous hands on ALL your wrist-watches, today!

P.S.: A smaller, ladie's version, (also with luminous hands), would also be very welcome!