5.0 out of 5 stars Great pen
Very stylish pen i get several compliments on it. The case is pretty slick as well. I also have the ball point version
Published 14 months ago by Keith Bowman

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely styled pen with some setbacks
Published on December 27, 2010 by JE

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely styled pen with some setbacks, December 27, 2010
JE (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stuhrling Original Black Roller Ball Writing Utensil (Watch)
I was hoping for a lot from this pen, but it turned out to be a mixed bag. The finish is slick and well done. All pieces fit up nicely with no gapping. Visually, the pen looks high-end and Stuhrling's orange-on-black color scheme is very nice. The cap comes off and on with a very satisfying snap which lets you know it's secure. With the cap on, the pen has a fair heft, but I would like it to be more substantial. With the cap placed on the back of the pen for writing, the pen becomes very unbalanced(top-heavy) and makes writing uncomfortable. Therefore, to write with this pen, I have to leave the cap off. I don't like doing that with rollerballs because it becomes easier to lose caps. This relegates this pen to a desk pen only - not a traveler.

The ink of the medium-point rollerball flows out smoothly and evenly. I do, however, have a problem with Stuhrling's way of setting the ink refill into the pen body. At the end of the refill is a spring, and that spring meets the back end of the body. Therefore, as one writes, the tip is in a constant state of floating along the travel of the spring. There are other pens that use this spring style, and I dislike them as well. For a person who writes a lot, the springy motion takes away from consistency and adds frustration. Furthermore, the pen rattles and sometimes squeaks when shaken because of the spring. The front barrel of the pen, unfortunately, is plastic which screws into a metal receptor in pen's body. I would have liked for the part of the front barrel which screws into the body to also be metal because it would add quality to the pen's build and it would give the pen a much better weight balance for writing.

The ink refill is a mystery. There are no markings whatsoever upon it to give hint as to what brand it is or how to replace it. At the time of this review, Stuhrling has no information on this on their website or this product page. There was no documentation included in the pen's box either - nothing at all. I thought that maybe there was some secret flip out compartment in the box where a little sheet would be hidden, but I tore the box apart and found nothing. I'm sure that somebody will figure out what refill(s) will work for this pen. I have other rollerballs which I will use much more often than this pen, and I don't think I'll have to worry about refilling it anytime soon.

Overall, I think the pen is worth the asking price if a refill type can be established. I will remove the spring and fill the void with something solid to make this pen more usable for me. I have associated the Stuhrling brand with providing high-end looks at low prices, and this pen maintains that association. However, looks and quality don't always go hand-in-hand.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Pen but Doesn't Write Well Without Modification, January 14, 2011
When this pen arrived, I was impressed with packaging. I opened the nice box and loved the appearance of the pen, gleaming shiny black, a luxurious orange marble accent, decorative chrome. The pen felt substantial in my hand, nicely balanced. The cap popped off with a snap. I grabbed a pad and started to write, suddenly feeling great disappointment. The pen was spongy and the writing uneven.

Upon investigation, I determined the problem was a weak spring holding the refill in place. So I scoured the house looking for some scrap that I could use to compress the spring more, ending up in the spice cabinet, finding a coriander seed of the right diameter, dropping it into the hole in the back of the pen refill. I reassembled the pen and voila. I was able to write smoothly.

I emailed Stuhrling support to ask what would be a suitable pen refill for future reference, receiving no reply after three days. It looks to me like the Waterman rollerpen refills will work, although I've not tested that theory out.

3.0 out of 5 stars I ordered the pen with the CAP and got the one with the TWIST, June 12, 2013
This review might not be helpful since it is not about the pen above. When I ordered this I got the pen with the twist open and not the cap. That was a bummer! After writing with the pen I still found it to be some what smooth and an nice feel. Both models look just as nice. I won't send it back cause i like it enough not to wait on the capped one....but next time send me what I ordered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pen, May 3, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, December 27, 2012
I gave it as a gift and it seems to have hit the spot. It writes very well and the design is beautiful. Plus it has an engraved letter 'S' on the which just adds more personality to it... Very pleased!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pen!, February 13, 2013
Sturling has been a great name in watches for years. Workmanship
trusted for years so I tried this roller ball. The refill was the only complaint.
It came with a non-descript fine point refill (no lettering or name) that skipped right out of the box.
I quickly discovered a Cross roller ball refill replaced it nicely, now outstanding!

Stuhrling Original Black Roller Ball Writing Utensil