Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stumbling Into Infinity: An Ordinary Man in the Sphere of Enlightenment
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 21, 2010
Stumbling Into Infinity is the story of an ordinary man's quest to find his purpose, which through a series of events leads him into something much greater than expected. Michael Fischman meets Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, now a international spiritual leader who has affected the lives of millions, in the late 1980s when there are just a handful of people. He has written a memoir that is humorous, authentic and transparent.

For me, this is one of those books that I read in a day or two because I got so engrossed in the story. I was laughing, crying and reflecting on my own journey as I turned the pages and I found myself wanting to find out what happened next. Honestly, at first glance I thought it would be impossible to understand the relationship between a spiritual master and a devotee, let alone for someone to write about it in a way that would be interesting and truthful; however, I was blown away by how intimately the author looks at himself, shares his mental patterns, and the obstacles he faced on his journey. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good read and especially for those interested in eastern spirituality.
on June 8, 2010
This book is the story of an ordinary American man in search of deeper meaning. He develops a disciple-master relationship with a spiritual teacher from India, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, who gently guides him toward a life of greater wisdom, purpose, and happiness. Amusing and disarmingly humble, Michael Fishman does not shy away from disclosing embarrassing moments and mistakes he made along the way. He endears the reader with his honesty, humor, and self-depreciation. At the same time, the wisdom of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar that is interwoven into the storyline carries tremendous depth. The combination of Michael Fishman's sincerity and clumsiness with the uplifting message of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar creates a narrative that is at times hilarious, moving, and delightfully inspiring.
on June 6, 2010
This book is an absolute gift! It's like sitting next to a dear friend as he tells you story after story. I was reminded of my experience of reading "The Autobiography of a Yogi" when I was introduced to the personal experience of one man and his Guru. The concepts I had of a Guru washed away as one person humbly and honestly shared his experience - without asking me to do the same or pushing me to believe. In this book I got a modern-day story of one man and his Guru told as humbly and honestly. My eyes are opened to a broader understanding of the world and people's experiences on a spiritual path.
My husband and I so enjoyed this book - I read it non-stop in 4 days until I finished it - that we've bought 5 more copies to give to friends who are also what one might call "seekers."

I love that this book is filled with wisdom and insight that have me look anew at my own life experiences. I will re-read it many times because every reading reveals a new layer of growth for me.
I look forward to more from the author!
on October 20, 2010
I have met several people who have read this book. Many fall into two categories: People who were already on a spiritual path and those who did not have a spiritual path or practice.

Several of those who are on a spiritual path (or used to be) felt a stronger connection to their own spirituality. Those who had stopped participating or felt a little distant, returned to their practice or became stronger in it. And some felt a deeper connection (or re-connected) to Sri Sri Ravi Shankar after reading this.

The other group are people who were not particularly involved in spirituality but became interested after reading the book. One person even told me they felt less stressed and more at peace after reading it. Now that's a book!

Me, I cried a few times, during moving moments.

Some people have compared it to Autobiography of a Yogi. But it may be closer to the Autobiography of You and Me if We Were Yogis. And that is probably its strength.

There are certainly extraordinary and profound experiences, and portions make you see the world differently. And, as in Yogananda's book, the innocent approach to those experiences makes it easy to accept them. The author's willingness to share some not-yet-enlightened experiences and challenges also helps. Some nice wisdom in there too.

Good book.
review image
on May 18, 2010
Many of us know of His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar as a public figure. But this story gives readers a more intimate and personal encounter with this enigmatic person who has become one of the world's most respected and loved spiritual leaders. The author, Michael Fischman, met Sri Sri Ravi Shankar as early as 1980 and shares with us many beautiful anecdotes and stories from their early days together. These memoirs are well written, inspiring, insightful, very touching, and even quite humorous at times. A great book to read about the power of friendship, faith, and unconditional love.
on October 23, 2010
Michael Fischman exposes raw humanity while telling a story focused on higher truths.
Read this book if you have ever struggled with your ego or felt the sting of disappointing someone you love.
Whatever Michael stumbled onto sits silently between the lines of a very accessible journey.
Traveling through life's ups and downs, Something remains unchanged.
Walk a few pages in his shoes.
This is personal growth at its best!
on September 17, 2010
This book speaks to seekers on the path. Whilst Michael endearingly bares his soul and shares his most embarrassing and intimate moments and thoughts, Sri Sri responses were not just mean for Michael Fishman, the author, but for every seeker on this path. I found this book intensely emotional and wrenching while there are moments when the hilarity stuns. Michael has fulfilled Sri Sri's wish to write his experiences to benefit others and it could not have come at a better moment in my own personal journey. I look forward to part 2 to this book which may not come for many more years when Michael really understands the journey he has been on. I would recommend this to everyone.
on March 28, 2016
Michael Fischman's account of his relationship with a spiritual teacher Sri Sri Ravi Shankar is an honest account of his loving bond with this teacher, his challenges on his spiritual path, and his searching to find his purpose. He tells his embarrassing moments and mistakes as well as his victories. He has definitely grown spiritually. I read the book to try and understand how someone can bond with a guru and I learned much from Michael's account. As a Christian, I am glad that I do not need to go to a guru for enlightenment, but rather directly to the source. There was one error - not made by Michael's guru but by another spiritual leader claiming that he was a centurion that pierced Jesus's side in a past life to relieve him from pain - if you read the Biblical accounts John 19:30-34 one sees that Jesus died prior to the spearing of the side. It makes a difference to Christians who know that Jesus gave up His spirit willingly - it was not taken from him by anyone centurion or any other.
I appreciated seeing the photos in the book and in my opinion the sister of this SriSri guy exudes more spirituality. Curious why two repetitions of SriSri - isn't one sufficient?
Still I am grateful for Michael's honesty and from reading other memoirs of people who have bonded to gurus it seems that Michael lucked out with a good one, not all are so benevolent.
on June 19, 2011
I'd rank this right up with Autobiography Of a Yogi in terms of the personal narrative and intimacy with which the author has shared his journey with HH Sri Sri Ravishankar. I'd use the word "unputdownable" except I am reading a PC Kindle version of this book. As an Art Of Living practitioner for the last 10 years, I am in love with this book for the amazing "Guru stories" it has. I have only finished reading a third of the book but felt I must comment right away.

UPDATE : Just finished this book. Its been a long time since I read a book cover to cover in 4 days. Michael's chronicles are a delight to me as a devotee, a seva volunteer, a seeker and a member of an organization. Whats particularly inspiring to me as a volunteer to see how he (and other early teachers described in the book) went out to areas completely unknown to them to bring Guruji's knowledge there. The frustrations described by Michael sound familiar and the fact that he stuck to the task at hand and the path despite the frustrations and agonies, are a testimony to both his unconditional devotion and Guruji's unconditional love.

Great read ! Will be getting a few more copies to give out as gifts.
on May 2, 2010
I feel that the words in the book are straight from heart of the author. I reread the book. I wonder why I compared him with Deepak Chopra!! The author shares his amazing journey in the path and beautifully describes how our mind is an impediment to our growth.

Great Person!! Good Book!! Buy it now!!