Stunning (Pretty Little Liars, Book 11)
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$11.91+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 15, 2012
First Sentence: Have you ever done something so shameful, so shocking, so unlike /you/ that you wanted to disappear?

How I Acquired it: Borrowed from town's library.

The Review (*spoilers from past 10 books beyond this point*): When we last saw the Pretty Little Liars, Spencer was suffering from hallucinations, Hanna was plotting to steal her father's money, Aria was trying to rekindle an old relationship, and Emily was revealed to be pregnant. This, for me, was the huge twist of Ruthless, aka Book 10. Now in Book 11, Stunning, we see that Spencer's getting hooked onto drugs again. Aria has some troubles with her relationship, Hanna is jealous of Mike's new girlfriend, and Emily's baby is in more danger than ever. Drugs, love, action, sex, crazy stalkers and awesomeness abound!

The premise of Pretty Little Liars is still the same: four girls are tortured by a stalker, code name A, who threatens to reveal every dirty little secret they have, and every crime they've committed. If you haven't read the previous books in the series, this is not a good place to start. Sara Shepard does a good job of recapping the plot of previous books for people like me who read Book 10 seven months ago, but it's no excuse for the first 10 themselves. The characters are still the same as in previous PLL novels; if you liked them before, you'll like them now. If you hated them before, you'll hate them now. Not much to be said here.

And the plot is still as twisty and turny as ever. I won't spoil anything, because it's most likely that you're going to read Stunning for its plot, like all other PLL novels. I will say, however, that Emily's baby plays a huge role in the novel, and I liked that. Also, I really liked Emily in this novel, for being strong. The other three girls were kind of stupid, but I could understand their actions.

Overall, Stunning is a good addition to the series. It's not stellar, but it's not poor either. Fans of the previous installments will not be disappointed. I did take off a star, however, because Ms. Shepard has been dragging out the series too much. Stunning sets up the end, Burned, nicely, and I can't wait for it to come out.

-reviewed by a teenager. (I apologize for any teenagery and/or snarky comments in this review, if they have offended you. I understand they can be very annoying, just like teenagers themselves. In any case, thanks for dealing with them and thanks for reading this review.)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 6, 2012
I am absolutly in love with the pretty little liar books. I was so excited to find out about this book last year, and I even preordered it as soon as it came on the kindle fire store. However, I was very disappointed when I read it. It was almost a chore to read it, but I had to. I love the series, and I have so much respect for the author to keep writting when everyone thought that it was over, including herself. But this book wasn't her best. It was very predictable, and repeated the plot that was in the past books. I knew exactly what was gonna happen as soon as I started the first chapter. Nevertheless, I am excited for the next book, and will get it as soon as I can. For those of you who don't know if you should read it, you should! Everyone has different opinions, but I don't think that you should get your hopes up with thinking that this is gonna be the best one.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 8, 2013
I loved It! Emily's baby, Hannah's stalking, Spencer's drugs, Aria's Kahn drama!! Gayle! Tabitha! Everything was completely amazing and mysterious!!!
on May 11, 2014
I guess I am slightly conflicted. On one hand, "Stunning" was a better PLL book than several of the others before it because the overall plots were even, interesting, and actually kept my attention. It wasn't as elaborate in its zaniness as the great "Wanted" (PLL #8, which was supposed to be the end) but it had very solid plots throughout that didn't seem overly silly or out of place, and I quite like this entry.

However, the same issue crept up again: accusing someone of being "A" that really made little sense, and in fact in THIS particular instance? Made basically NO sense. Like, seriously, Gayle? They were actually thinking that a middle-aged woman was stalking 4 teenage girls so meticulously? The very idea is just ludicrous when you think about it, which clearly they didn't.

With that aside, I'm happy that a lot of the stories went smoothly and didn't really anger me. I am the type to get angered by silly plots (some in the past have really bothered me) and I'm pleased how they handled delving more deeply into Emily's baby story, as well as Hanna's stalker potential. Aria's story with Noel was odd, but I didn't mind it. The only one that I felt annoyed by was Spencer thinking "potluck" meant to bring drug-laced food, as well as her judgement of Reefer.

But back to my main gripe: their stupidity surrounding A's possible identity. It has gotten rather infuriating, and I think Shepard is really making these characters seem far dumber than she intended. Near the end of the book, it's mentioned that someone had been breaking into homes in Gayle's neighbourhood, and one of them says "maybe the person breaking into those homes is A?" and I was like "seriously?" ...thankfully it was followed by "maybe that's unrelated to A at all" which makes a hell of a lot more sense.

As for "A"? Well, that character was rather intriguing this time around, being far more devious (although, like usual, impossibly omnipresent) and I was pleased with that sinister turn.

There was a lot done that furthered the story in a satisfying way, much pushed forward by "A", and so despite my criticisms of their Gayle-suspicions, I'm still willing to give it 4 stars based on the overall strong storylines, except maybe for Spencer's. 7.5/10.
on June 23, 2012
Where to start? Stunning is the Eleventh book (not counting Pretty Little Secrets) in the Pretty Little Liars book series. The little liars are still being tortured by the third A who they now suspect is Gayle. I dont want to spoil too much for those who haven't read it yet, but it is worth the read; trust me. I LOVED THIS BOOK! I could not put it down, and finished it in two days.

A small recap from in book 10: Aria got back in the arms of Ezra, but after finding him to be 'insecure and needy' and then in the arms of Klaudia, gets back with Noel. Spencer was experiencing hallucinations about Alison and Tabitha and has black out moments. Hanna gets caught up in a secret romance with the son of her father's political rival. Emily accidentally meets Kelsey at a party and befriends her, despite Spencer's warnings that Kelsey might be A. Emily and Kelsey's relationship turns romantic, but is shattered when Kelsey attempts suicide after learning the truth about Spencer's betrayal. She is sent to the Preserve for treatment, where the girls learn Tabitha was a patient there along with Alison.

Some say its a bit obvious, but hey, after reading 10 books in a series from the same author, you begin to understand and get used to the writing style and begin to guess (with somewhat accurate results) what happens next. There's also the issue, that its being drawn out, but I dont mind, if the television producers decide to pick up the last four books, we could be looking at at least a fourth season of PLL. Let's not forget, PLL was supposed to stop after book 8 'Wanted', but because of the success of the first 10 episodes of season 1, Sara Shepard was asked to write 4 more books, which brings us to where we are today.

I give this book 5 stars and cant wait for the next one. I believe Sara said on her twitter that there will be 14 books in the series, if this is true, we can look forward to Burned and another book squeezed in, like Pretty Little Secrets.
-Happy Reading
VINE VOICEon June 25, 2012
The Pretty Little Liars are 4 little girls with VERY big secrets. The Rosewood Pennsylvania Quartet have returned from Jamaica with a whole new series of secrets.

We know from the previous books that Aria was trying to hook up with an old flame; Spencer framed someone for drugs; Hanna was involved in theft and Emily was expecting a baby. In "Stunning," Aria and Noel share a secret from each other that involves each other; Spencer is involved in the seemingly uppercrust side of learning about Princeton life only to discover a real dark underside; Hanna and her stepsister Kate seem to have reached a truce, although Hanna discovers she can learn something from A as she wants to re-hook up with Aria's brother Mike and Emily has made decisions for her baby.

Drugs, sex and scandal - all are part of the Liars' lives in this installment. A never lets them forget and somehow manages to stay below everybody's rAdAr. Who is A? A could be anybody skulking in the shadows, lurking on the periphery. A knows everything about the girls. A knows where they are and what they are doing at all times and even sends them text messages taunting them.

Be sure to read the first 10 books including Pretty Little Secrets so as to know each character and what the background for this installment. Sara Shepard does a good job of summarizing the high points of previous books. It is like she is jumping from mountain top to mountain top as opposed to walking up each mountain and enjoying the sights along the way. This is done for brevity and for literary focus - readers new to the party get an idea of what the Liars' lives have involved and the people they encountered along the way. And the casualties. Yes, there are casualties. This book is no exception.

There are no spoilers here and readers beware - you are in for a harrowing ride with the Liars in this installment. Emily's baby does have a role in this book, but what that role is readers will have to find out for themselves in the book. Emily, whom readers know is bisexual has some hard thinking and develops strength she didn't know she had. One thing that bothered me is that in the Fields' home, nobody seemed to communicate much. Emily's parents have no idea they have a grandchild and Emily's sister, who gets a brief nod in this book is the only member of the Fields family who knows. Her treatment of Emily is deplorable.

On the flip side, Aria and her mother and stepmother reconnect also because of a baby. Aria's paternal half-sister, now nearly 1 is inadvertently the catalyst that helps her listen to her stepmother Meredith and also clear the air with her mother regarding her father's remarriage.

This book makes readers want more and eagerly await the next book in the series, "Burned." Given the pairings, hook-ups and break ups in this installment, Player's 1978 "Baby, Come Back" could easily be the soundtrack of this book.
on June 26, 2012
I've been reading this series since it came out. The gist of this review is that, once again, Sara Shepard has written a super fun page turner that keeps you captivated and sucked into the book.

Spoilers ahead

The girls are, as per usual, getting into trouble.

Aria: Aria has the smallest problem. Although, it has STILL not been mentioned what happened to her and Hanna in Iceland. No mention whatsoever. Anyways, she's back with Noel but A is threatening to sink that relationship by blackmailing her with the Kahn family secrets, threatening to release a big one if she does not dump him. Yikes!

Emily: Emily is having the biggest issues. You know, HAVING A BABY. She is dealing with a new enemy: Gayle, the crazy women who paid her 50,000 dollars to give her the baby. Only, Emily didn't give her the baby. She changed her mind and gave the baby to the family who was originally going to legally adopt her. And Gayle's angry.

Hanna: Hanna's just running around trying to get back with Mike. Mike has a new girlfriend. No detailed mentioning of that other dude she dumped.

Spencer: Spencer, oh my god. She cannot stay out of trouble! Spencer's storylines always stress me out the most. Yes, she got into Princeton, but now she has to get into an elite secret society. A will not let this happen easily.

Overall, these books always really stress me out because these girls CANNOT stop making stupid decisions and deciding someone is A and killing them. My God. But I just can't stop, they are sooo fun to read.

I recommend this.
on May 19, 2015
At A Glance

Genre: Young Adult; Mystery
Love Triangle/Insta Love?: nope.
Cliff Hanger: yepp

Ending: 9

Total: 8

In Depth

Best Part: A was way more involved this round
Worst Part: Unrealistic twists.
Overall Feels Felt: Get some respect!; Gayle is crazyyyy; Not cool A!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series: yep
Recommending: yep
Misc.: Buddy Read :D

Short Review: Well. The "twists" keep getting more and more out there. Their world is getting smaller. I highly doubt in real like any of this would still be going on but i guess that's why this is fiction. I was glad A was getting a bit more involved in this book. Supporting characters are helping the story not be so drag-ish.
on June 22, 2012
Stunning by Sara Shepard is the eleventh novel in the Pretty Little Liars series. Spencer, Aria, Emily, and Hanna want to forget about Allison and how she tried to ruin their lives but someone will not let her memory die. The Pretty Little Liars still have plenty of secrets that they are trying to keep hidden. But they should know secrets are meant to be uncovered in Rosewood. Stunning mainly focuses on Emily and her baby drama and she also reconnects with an old flame. Spencer is learning more about Princeton and how campus life works. Aria is back with Noel and learning more about his family. Hanna is finding her inner A. I enjoyed Stunning and can't wait to see what happens to the Pretty Little Liars next.
Stunning contains the usual drama and lives up to the Pretty Little Liars series. I think it is helpful to have read the previous books in the series to understand the plot. I would recommend Stunning to Pretty Little Liars fans or teen mystery fans.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I got this yesterday (obviously) and finished it last night. I simply couldn't put it down! The only drawback to finishing it so early is that now I have to wait until December to find out the conclusion. My theory is that it is definitely one of the DiLaurentis twins or Darren Wilden. I cannot wait to see what happens next!! I'm also excited to FINALLY discover what happened to Aria in Iceland, and what is this sudden development about Hanna and a car accident? Pure brilliance all the way around. Another knockout, Sara!