5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story
I love this story but be forewarned: it was previously published in the "Love is Hell" anthology. I bought it not realizing it was the same story I'd already read. It's still a wonderful short story. Even if you don't think you're a fan of futuristic settings you should totally give this one a try.
Published on December 4, 2012 by Heidi (YA Bibliophile)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Really Worth It
Published 23 months ago by theladyinredink

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Really Worth It, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Stupid Perfect World (Kindle Edition)
I had high hopes for this book, partially because I really love Scott Westerfeld and partially because I hoped to use it in a writing course centered around reading and writing the internet. But Stupid Perfect World really felt like a let down. It was a quick read--it took me maybe a couple of hours--but I think that is the problem for me. As a novella, I felt kind of cheated: I didn't get to know the characters very well (in fact, I can't even remember their names!) and I never quite felt like something was at stake for them. The overall premise is really, really interesting, but I think this story needed some more time and space to grow and develop into something really meaningful. Otherwise, it's just a story about future generations wishing for the "good ole days." Perhaps this book would be an important and even enjoyable read for adolescents with an over-reliance on the internet. If you are looking for a book to really immerse yourself in, try Westerfeld's Uglies series or--for something more similar to Stupid Perfect World--check out Feed by M.T. Anderson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, December 4, 2012
This review is from: Stupid Perfect World (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott never disappoints! A wonderful novella, September 26, 2013
This review is from: Stupid Perfect World (Kindle Edition)
Imagine a world without sickness or disease; a utopia that we all dream of. Now take it a step further and imagine sleep is no longer needed, hormones are regulated, transporting to another country is just seconds away. This is the paradise-like world set up in Stupid Perfect World. The novella alternates POVs between Kieran and Maria. Maria has a crush on Kieran, but he's not the girl his eyes are set on. During Scarcity class, a class that focuses on life before perfection, the students are asked to opt for a certain `problem' from back in the day. Maria opts to stop her hormones from being regulated; she wants to feel things full force. Kieran, not having prepared for this project, opts to add sleep to his schedule. When the two projects merge, dreams and strong emotions, a connectionis formed. This is a beautiful short story, and my only complaint is that it wasn't nearly long enough. Scott has such a way with creating this unique worlds and this novella is no exception.

Oh, and the great thing about this novel -- it's only 1.99$ for ebook on Amazon

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, September 12, 2014
Patricia (Delray Beach, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stupid Perfect World (Kindle Edition)
In this future world, high school students are required to attend Scarcity class. For the final project, the students are supposed to "embody" some form of ancient lameness, spending two weeks being blind or whatever. This is supposed to teach them what things were really like in "the old days."

Barefoot Tillman decides to go with the common cold. Other students chose hunger, illiteracy; most chose diseases. Maria decides to suspend her hormonal balancers. She wants to find out what it was like to be a teenager "back then." She wants to experience the intense feelings. Kieran decides to try sleeping. He plans to sleep 3 hours a night. In this future, people don't need to sleep, they communicate in headspace and no one experiences diseases or even hormonal fluctuations.

My opinion:
The novella is told from two points of view, Kieran and Maria. It is interesting to see how sleeping (& dreaming) and hormones affect them. And how it changes their outlook.

It is amazing how Scott Westerfield manages to tell this story in only 9 chapters. I found myself wanting to learn more about this world and the people in it. I felt connected to the characters and it was fun to watch them learn about things that are so foreign to them yet such a big part of our everyday lives.

I enjoy Westerfield's writing and this book was no exception. This is a fun, easy to read book. It is short and can be read in one evening. So worth it!!

Recommended to:
Young adults who like their dystopian futures with a touch of romance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, July 15, 2014
Tj "Tina" (Aztec,NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stupid Perfect World (Kindle Edition)
Thought it was cute. Funny. Very imaginative. Loved the characters. A surprisingly great story. A breath of fresh air. !

5.0 out of 5 stars Could turn a bad day good, March 9, 2014
This review is from: Stupid Perfect World (Kindle Edition)
I love the author, and the subject matter of his stories are always intriguing. This one I loved because it looks at society's willingness to suppress things--the "inconveniences" of life-- and break them down into necessities and pleasantries instead of being downfalls.
A good short story to keep one thinking

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth It, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Stupid Perfect World (Kindle Edition)
I stumbled across this and was highly entertained for the 2 hours it took to read it. My biggest complaint is that it was too short and that I wanted more. It isn't a 5-star novel, but it is definitely a 5-star short story and I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Stupid Perfect World (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the concept of this story. The characters are inviting and show you life from an interesting future perspective. I wish the book was longer, hoping to see it added onto in the near future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Short, January 15, 2014
This review is from: Stupid Perfect World (Kindle Edition)
Very short! I Didn't realize it was such a short book! Bought it on my kindle, started reading and was interested but it ended before I could blink!

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Stupid Perfect World (Kindle Edition)
Nothing that I was expecting. No drama or action or anything. More like a quick short story. Very boring, but more suitable for younger children

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›