4.0 out of 5 stars fun book

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a little too derivative of Aucoin
Published on May 31, 2011 by Valencia

4.0 out of 5 stars fun book, August 25, 2010
This review is from: Style Eyes (Paperback)
this is a fun yet slightly predictable book. It starts off with the basics of eyes, the tools, eye shapes, false lashes etc. It is fairly repetitive of other makeup books in that respect but Chang keeps it quick and to the point, I like that. She then goes into the fun stuff, she does more than just your basic smokey eye look and your daytime work look. She uses bright and vibrant colors, i believe there is a look with some rhinestones on it, and some fun lip looks. As for step by step looks, she only has 2, and they are how to acheive the smokey look. The other eye looks in the book simply give you the color she uses and a tool to apply it. So for beginners looking on a how to, this might not be a really helpful books, but for those who have the basics of makeup technique down, replicating the looks is easy to do. Througout the book, she has a variety of eye shapes but not a variety of skin tones. Overall it isn't a bad book to have in the collection, I can see myself looking at it for a nice quick and easy look if i'm in a makeup rut.

5.0 out of 5 stars must have, August 31, 2010
This review is from: Style Eyes (Paperback)
I got this book as a gift and plan to buy 3 more for all my makeup junkie friends! I'm a busy mom of 2 beautiful and super active boys who never gave up her love of makeup. I don't have time to go to the Mac counter to learn how to do a smokey eye and now I don't have to. Chang-Babaian lays it all out for you. She also states that you don't have to throw out your shimmery eyeshadow just because you're 35 plus. As a Latina, I like the fact that women of all ethnicities are included. The women look real and beautiful instead of model-types. I know this is a book I will return to again and again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a little too derivative of Aucoin, May 31, 2011
Valencia (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Style Eyes (Paperback)
I really liked this book when I got it, and then I realized why I liked it. I already own it. Actually -twice. This book is essentially parts of Kevyn Aucoin's "Making Faces" and "Face/Forward" but with no acknowledgment for inspiration. Everything from the fonts, to the photography, to the names of the looks is all Aucoin. I'm not saying the author did this on purpose, but I bet that she is familiar with these beauty tomes which unwittingly guided her when she started to design her own book.

It's too bad- because the book is filled with great tips and easy-to-follow instructions. However, Aucoin died a decade ago, so he doesn't have a voice in this. I feel that it's only fair to acknowledge his work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing Book - Not too Many Looks, June 30, 2011
Smart Reader (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Style Eyes (Paperback)
This book is a pretty big disappointment. I was expecting lots and lots of ideas on different ways on how to wear eye make up with different colors and different types of eye shadows - matt, shimmers, and glitters. But, sadly there are just a few and they are not special at all. The only real step-by-step that includes several photo's for each step is the part on smokey eyes. That's it. I'm really shocked why so many people rate this book so high.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK!, September 15, 2010
De-De "animal lover" (Turnersville NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Style Eyes (Paperback)
This is a great makeup book! I would say it is one of my top makeup books that i own. I own alot!!! She does eye makeup beautifully and explains how to do each look. And she explains it very well! I definitely recommend this book to whomever would like to learn how to do gorgeous eye makeup and beautiful eyebrows!

5.0 out of 5 stars unpretentious, July 8, 2011
This review is from: Style Eyes (Paperback)
I ordered Style Eyes after seeing it at a friend's house and I couldn't be happier. This is definitely one of the best 'how to' make up books I've owned. There are so many looks, techniques and tips which are all presented in a clean, simple, easy to understand format. The photos are gorgeous and purposeful. All of the models are fresh, believable and convince me that these looks are do-able for 'me'. I found it alot different than the Kevin Aucoin books I own. It completely stands on it's own merit! I will definitely refer to Style Eyes for quick instruction when I want to update and/or stylize new looks. Without question, 5 big gold stars!!

2.0 out of 5 stars very basic, May 8, 2013
This review is from: Style Eyes (Paperback)
There are some good basic tutorials in here and a decent smoky eye tutorial. However, almost all the other looks are a version of:
1. primer
2. ONE shadow color, maybe two
3. liner
4. mascara.

If I wanted to experiment with those simple looks, I could just do it on my own. If you are looking for a book of many different ways to use shadows - this is not it. If you are looking for a very basic eye makeup book - this is OK. I recommend the Kevin Aucoin and Rae Morris books instead for different ways to use different colors and depths of shadowing and lining (and those books also include the basics).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 2, 2011
H. Cheung (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Style Eyes (Paperback)
I really found her tips very useful and now know how to do the smokey eye look the right way. The nice part about the book is that it isn't centered around a certain face, but allows you to accentuate your look based on the crease of your eye and the structure of your face.

I've gotten a lot of compliments after following the book's steps one by one, even by makeup artists in the department stores. I highly recommend it because it's easy to follow with pictures which I think are useful, especially since I'm a very visual learner.

I own a number of books centered on how to apply makeup but think this is by far the best book out of all of them. Definitely worth every penny.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bland, May 14, 2014
This review is from: Style Eyes (Paperback)
This book would be good for beginners, or women who like a very subtle look. The text is good, full of beginner information and gives you a good education in colors, brushes, product consistency, and application. I was disappointed with the limited styles shown, many of them being so minimal that it was hard to tell if the model had makeup on or not. Some of the more extreme looks were just plain bad. Many different names apply to what appears to be the same look. Some of the applications did nothing to make the model look better. I would recommend this for beginners only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on the 'How To', April 9, 2013
This review is from: Style Eyes (Paperback)
I bought this for my teen daughter after searching all over the internet and in the bookstore for something basic for beginners. The other books were a bit scant on the step-by-step needed for beginners. Many of them also contained other information about fads, lifestyles, and such that were not necessary or appropriate for us. We felt that a couple teen makeup books had bizarre or overdone looks.

This book has many before and after photos with step-by-step instructions on how to achieve each look. It has makeup for different ages, how to apply eyeliner for your eye shape, eyebrow shaping, different kinds of makeup, buying brushes, health info., and more. Just looking at the photos was often enough for us to understand the 'how to' without even reading the steps. In our opinion, we didn't even need another book, although we did buy one for different options.

If you just want a basic 'how to' book that gets right to the point - without all the unnecessary hoopla - then this is the book for you! If you are looking for more glam looks and more basics on foundation and such, then you may want to purchase an additional book with those subjects in particular.

Hope this helps!

Style Eyes
Style Eyes by Taylor Chang-Babaian (Paperback - August 3, 2010)
$17.95 $13.02