"Alan Flusser is knowledgeable, cultivated, and a true gentleman in every sense of the word. The clothes he created for me in Wall Street elicited the most attention and applause of any costume design done for any of my films." -- Michael Douglas
"Alan Flusser writes about menswear with authority, intelligence, and a healthy dose of his unique personal style that has made him the wardrober of choice for a distinguished cadre of gentlemen worldwide. Style and the Man's historical references, engaging prose, and anecdotal asides make it a great read as well." -- Philip B. Miller, chairman and chief executive officer, Saks Fifth Avenue
"Alan is one of the most knowledgeable experts on men's fashion, and has created the ultimate reference for everything you need to know about good taste, great style, and where to find it throughout the world." -- Ralph Lauren
"No one knows as much about men's clothing as Alan Flusserhe has an encyclopedic knowledge of its history combined with a modern merchant's insight into design, tailoring, and selling. Read him and absorb." -- Bill Blass
"There is a difference between having nice clothes and wearing clothes that work specifically for you. Alan Flusser gives you the insight to make the best choices for yourself." -- Bob Costas, NBC Sports
From the Back Cover
- what to wear when you shop and why
- the difference between a $395 and a $1,000 suit (and how to make sure you're getting your money's worth)
- what two words to look for on a costly dress shirt's label
- why the folds in a cummerbund should always be worn facing upward
- how to recognize sports clothes capable of providing stylish longevity
Turn to the author's 200 favorite men's stores spanning seventeen cities in eight countries' both celebrated designer flagships and tiny shops known only to a privileged few and discover:
- the little-known New York store that sells shoes that offer instant "cachet"
- where the fashion set goes for the best T-shirt
In Style and the Man, Alan Flusser has created the perfect traveling companion for those men wishing to expand their sartorial knowledge as well as their wardrobe.