Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 26, 2007
I'm an avid reader/researcher and now and entrepreneur so I have read LOTS of books on small business. This is the first book that I really felt "got it!" The writer clearly knows what it is like for a small business and has realistic tips and ideas for growing your business the right way and ending up where you want it to be.

The title initally appealed to me since running your own business can be so draining. This book was approachable, easy to read, and had actionable ideas from the beginning. I also like that it "got" the realities of being a small business owner and didn't take up your time with worthless "exercises" or visions of what your business plan should be like. After reading this book I was so inspired to create my own business plan and start working on business improvements laid out in the plan. The book helped me find the clarity I had really be lacking and it made me feel like it wouldn't be too difficult or onerous to do.

This book is a MUST for every small business owner who wants to see their business grow in a sustainable way!!! I can't recommend it highly enough.
on August 17, 2006
Most of what Bill has to share is, in my opinion, simply good management practices. Owners/Presidents of small or mid-size organizations will likely find some of the ideas presented new and many of them simply as a good "kick in the pants" to move forward with things that have been in their heads or on their "to do" lists for far too long. Conversationally written with a bit of humor dispersed makes this a quick, easy read for the busy business owner.
on October 13, 2006
How to Succeed as a Small Business Owner and Still Have a Life is a great read! It is outcome based management guided by a real common sense approach. You can't help but find yourself nodding your head in agreement from the first chapter. The processes are things you will want to do to have a life but also things you must do if you ever want to sell your company for any real value.

David G. Domian, CFP

DEW Wealth Strategies,LLC
on December 5, 2009
This book has a straight forward design keeping things on the ground... I really enjoyed reading it because it's well balanced between concepts and stories and you can read it in a short period of time.

For a small entrepreneur like myself trying to grow, found the book pretty usefull in topics like: goal setting and planning model, systems policies and procedures, the corrective action system, job delegation, performance indicators and proper communication whitin the management team. Maybe we know the concepts, but needed to have clear in our minds, but above all, need the how-to implement when have limited resources.

It's more like a "small bussiness checklist" properly illustraded with the correct amount of detail.

I've found this book usefull and without a doubt, recommended.
on September 30, 2008
This is a must read for any small business owner. Written from the perspective of someone who has actually done it, this book is a clear, straightforward approach on how to have a better business and a better life. From the opening story of Bob's Printing Company, a typical small business owner drowning in a sea of things to do, we are given practical, real-world advice on personal priorities, delegation, marketing, hiring, planning, profit sharing, and more. The assessment at the end is an invaluable tool to help you know where you stand as a small business owner. Get it, read it, do it!
on July 15, 2007
Great book--Easy read, full of practical advice, and great examples. This book is much needed for any small business owner, but especially those who find themselves "spread too thin." Isn't that all of us?
on April 17, 2007
I recently read Bill's book as part of the Ellensburg Downtown Association's Brown Bag Business Basics series, and this is clearly one of the best small business resources I could recommend to any small business owner.

The book is a deceptively easy read, and yes, as Bill freely admits, it's loaded with Clichés. But Bill is able to move past the clichés and get right to the meat of the issues leaving the reader with solid useable information to act on at the end of each chapter.

From the very basics of understanding why you're in business to begin with, to planning for your businesses succession this book is a tremendous resource for any small business owners and includes some of the best advice I've read on the hiring process and why it's so important to the success of an business.

Clearly one of the best books that we've shared with our downtown business owners here in Ellensburg.
on March 11, 2008
We started a business 4 years ago (landscape consultancy practice in the Middle East), with one staff. The business has been a financial success (now with 24 staff) but we gave up many important things to achieve it. We read so many books on how to run a business. Bill's book was the one which helped us to chart the path to a balanced lifestyle. Appendix A is a checklist made from the chapter summaries. We use this periodically to score ourselves on how well we are maintaining a healthy balance. It's a worthwhile quick exercie.

The book starts with "week in the life of" a frazzled buiness owner, and ends with a "week in the life of" a succesful small business owner. Just read these two and you will feel like reading the rest of the book.

I recommend this book to everyone who is starting or running a small business. It is a great guide.
on September 20, 2006
I absolutely loved Bill's book, in fact, I was so engaged that I read it in one sitting! As a business owner with two years experience, I totally related to the initial character, in fact, it could have been me! Endless hours at the expense of other things, and a totally disorganized way of managing my time, a trait I didn't have prior to owning my own business. Bill's insight helped me put things in perspective, organize myself differently and become more goal-oriented. I recommend any new or "semi-new" small business owner put it on their "must-read" list, as I truly gained valuable insight from his philosophies. Well worth the time invested in reading it!
on July 3, 2007
Bottom line: It requires lots of work to be able to kick back and let your business run itself instead of run you.

But the author gives great guidance on what, when, and how to accomplish the ability to take time away from your business while it runs without you. Some paragraphs in this book could easily be expanded into chapters or even whole books. But a busy small business owner has no time for a whole book.

I ended the book feeling "I've got a lot of work to do" - but you probably will too after reading How to Succeed as a Small Business Owner... and Still Have a Life.