Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Success Through Stillness: Meditation Made Simple
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 5, 2014
I'm at a time in my life when I am considering many changes... and I'm in search of answers. I bought this book today and I read it today. I've always known that all of the answers to all of your questions are within you... I just didn't know how to get the answers. Or, more importantly, perhaps I didn't have the confidence to trust my own thoughts. I now have a vehicle... a system... that I will put into motion so that I can live my best life.

This book may not affect others or have any impact whatsoever to the next reader. For me, I received the message at the right time; when I needed it, and when I could receive it.
11 comment|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2014
I had my doubts. I've tried meditation off and on before but never stuck to it. But Russ sold me on it. The book is a great, quick read, and I can't wait to put this into use.
Will you start dating super models like Russ after meditating? Probably not.
Will you become a millionaire like Russ after meditating? Probably not.
Will you somehow manage to reverse the aging process in a Benjamin Button-esque fashion like Russ after meditating? Probably not.
But it can make you happier, give you a clearer focus, and improve your mental as well as physical health.
So that works for me.
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2014
Let me start off with a little background. 1st off, I like Russell Simmons. I believe he is trying to spread peace and happiness to the world. I am one of his Twitter followers. I also do Yoga, and used to meditate , but for various reasons, I've stopped doing it. The reasons I stopped doing it are discussed in this book. "I don't have time., My house is never quiet. I'm just too tired to do it." That being said, I've read many books on Meditation and Buddhism. I never really got into Transcendental Meditation b/c it's very expensive. Anyway, enough about me. I bought this book on Kindle last night and was finished with it this morning. Its a very quick , easy read at around 209 pages. There are 5 Parts to this book. Why meditate, Why you think you can't meditate, The physical benefits of meditation, Living up to your potential, and How to meditate. Now perhaps because I've read all about meditation and its benefits, I found this book to be pretty wasteful. For me, there was no new info. There are pages talking about how it regulates your nervous system, it's good for high blood pressure, etc. Is it me, or do most people already know this? ,Also, he talks about how to actually meditate in the last chapter. Basically this is it. Sit down for 20 min and twice a day, internally chant "Rum." Yes, Rum. This is your mantra he's given you. Groundbreaking! There is absolutely nothing new in this book for anyone who has been meditating, this book is not for you. This is for someone who really knows absolutely nothing about meditating and it's many benefits. Russell also talks about getting into Transcendental Meditation, but really doesn't delve into it, which was disappointing. In any case, if you haven't done so, I'd encourage you to read books by Thich Nhat Hanh, in particular,The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Anyway, this isn't a bad book. It's quick and easy enough to read. I just believe this is as basic as it gets in this subject. Best of luck to all in your journey!
1616 comments|186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2014
this book is a wonderful tool to help you learn how to meditate. it also simply and clearly explains the reason that every human on the planet should be mediating, for personal health and the health of humanity.
simmons style is conversational and extremely user friendly. he illustrates several of the concepts in the book using celebrity anecdotes as well as his own experiences. i have dabbled in mediation for a few years using pre-recorded guided meditations, but have never kept up a steady practice. i tried the meditation instructions in the book and found that the 20 minutes went by quicker than ever before. and i find that i am able to meditate more deeply without using a prerecorded guide.
i highly recommend this book to everyone.
on March 29, 2015
I have been meditating regularly for more than 35 years and I have enjoyed the benefits since in my professional and personal life. For several years I practiced the TM and TM-Sidhi program and Chopra's Primordial Sound Meditation when Chopra left the TM movement. I tried some of the practices taught by the Self Realization Fellowship (Yogananda) but I had to stop because having a low heart rate and blood pressure these practices were too strong for my physiology. I also did the practices suggested by Jon Kabat-Zinn and Eckhart Tolle. A couple of years ago I accidently discovered the Rigpa Buddhist organization and started to practice what they teach. These have been by far the best practices for me.

I enjoyed reading this book by Simmons. What I found the most important is what he says about practicing every day at least twice for 20 minutes and doing also Yoga asanas. Few instructors include both practices but they should.

Asanas realign the body and the nervous system, clear energy obstacles, and detoxify the body by increasing the circulation of the lymphatic and blood fluids and by moving the organs.

It is interesting to comprehend the process of meditation intellectually but it has no value if it is not practiced.

What I did not like however in this book is the instruction to repeat the mantra. As soon as you do that, you bring your mind to the surface again. It is like forcing a thought. When you become conscious that you have a distracting thought (T) or emotion (E), that is when you grasp, analyze, judge or try to avert a T or E, then you should think the mantra once or put a light attention of your breathing, or a flower or another objet of support for few seconds. By doing this, your mind will leave the distracting T or E. Then you remain in the state you are without doing anything, without second guessing yourself, without analyzing what you just did, without judging yourself, without thinking the mantra or putting your attention on anything. You just let yourself be in whatever state you are. When T and E rise again, just let them pass. You don't have to do anything. If once again you become conscious that you have a distracting T or E then you repeat the process described above.

It is normal to have T and E. You only intervene when these T and E become distracting. T and E are not you. After 10 minutes or so, you begin to no longer paying attention to T and E that rise. You become more spacious and your awareness expands naturally. You perceive more things more clearly. You become happier. By practicing regularly, you develop a habit to address T and E that way in your day to day activities without being affected too much by them. You become more stable, rarely depressed and you enjoy life much more.

I suggest meditating with your eyes open, just putting your gaze lightly on whatever is in front of you. This way you have less chances of being fouled by the many misleading experiences that the mental can fabricate.

During your daily activities try to be mindful, that is, try to put your attention (not concentrating too much) on what you are doing while remaining spacious. It is like when you drive. You are conscious of what is in front of the car as well as on the periphery and in your car.

I hope this helps
May you be well, may you be happy.
on March 16, 2014
This book gives you a simple blueprint for 'real' success in life. It's very easy to follow and to the point. I suggest that it be read with an open mind and trust that there's a REASON for your reading it. A MUST READ.
on August 1, 2014
I'm a meditator and have been trying to get my mother interested in meditation, so I was more than happy to read this book with her when she saw Russell Simmons on the Bill O'Reilly show talking about meditation. I figured that whatever got her interested in meditation was well worth the benefits that she can gain from the practice. Unfortunately, I feel that the message of this book is marred by poor presentation. I'm a bit of a grammar aficionado, so seeing the colloquial style of the book was a little disheartening to me. I understand that the author might be targeting a different audience than grammar aficionados, however, so the proliferation of sentence fragments, split infinitives, and noun / verb mismatches can be at least somewhat overlooked.

What is more difficult to overlook are the political statements made in the book. The author talks about being happy that President Obama was elected, that food scientists conspire to make you overweight, and that Trayvon Martin deserved justice, none of which -- taken out of context -- is very damaging to a speaker. However, in the context of a book about meditation, those thoughts are extraneous and take the focus away from the other statements that the author is trying to make. In fact, I would contend that some people who were introduced to this book through Bill O'Reilly's show will be turned off by the political statements and not even finish the book, which is the real crime. To politicize a book about the beautiful practice of meditation makes one feel that the author is more concerned with self-aggrandizement than teaching people to meditate, which is a definite shame.

If, again, you can overlook some of the missteps that the author makes in presenting meditation, you arrive at the part of the book where the process of meditation is presented. That represents about 10% of the book. The process isn't presented badly, but it is definitely a short presentation. Meditation is not a complex process, so long, drawn out explanations may be just as difficult to follow as the concision of this book's presentation, but I think that more troubleshooting content would have filled the book out a little better. When that is all that you get after plowing through the rest of the author's stories, it seemed a little unfulfilling.

In summary, I thought that the book was not bad, just not what I would have hoped from a meditation book. Rather than this book, if you are really interested in meditation, I recommend davidji's or Yogani's books. Both of those books are more focused on meditation and its practice rather than the unnecessary topics covered in this book.
on May 19, 2014
I was expecting more of HOW to meditate (learn how to clear your mind of all the crazy thoughts going through it) and what should we really focus on thinking about. This book was more of who, why and what results you will get not "Meditation Made Simple" . It kept pumping me up to "I will get to that later on in the book" low and behold it was the very last chapter teaching you how to say the word Ruuummmm and sit up straight for twenty minutes. Very disappointing!!!!
on May 13, 2014
This book spends the entire book telling everything this guy has done but waits until the last minute to tell you to "sit up straight and be in the present."
on May 13, 2014
This book is not found under meditation, but that is what it is. I saw Mr. Simmons on TV promoting his book and it struck a chord and I just had to get it. Happy I did. All except the last chapter is about all the benefits of meditation. There are so many benefits. OK I'll start doing this. The last chapter is devoted to actually what is involved. And that is.....very little. It is a matter of centering down (my own words). He suggests using a mantra. I just concentrate on my breathing. Anyway Mr Simmons appealed to my intellect and he convinced me that is is what I should do. Now the hard part....taking the time out and do it. great book. I was so impressed I purchased his other best seller, "Do You".