- Paperback: 760 pages
- Publisher: Personnell Decisions; 7 edition (November 1, 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0972577025
- ISBN-13: 978-0972577021
- Product Dimensions: 1.2 x 7.2 x 9.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.8 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (27 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #39,468 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Successful Manager's Handbook: Develop Yourself, Coach Others Paperback – November 1, 2004
Based on seven years of reporting from over a dozen countries, writer Tom Wainwright takes you on an extraordinary journey into the business of being a drug lord. Learn more.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
For a manual, I have to give this book high marks - it covers a whole gamut of topics / competencies - enough to assist those who consciously want to improve their professional and leadership skills. The language is easy to understand. The only prerequisite is to be in a work-place for a few years so as to appreciate each competency.
(1) Compendium of competencies. Most likely, nothing has been missed!
(2) A person who is keen on gaining skill in a particular competency such as "Manage Change" or "Establish Trust" can quickly gather insights into what behaviors and skills he/she must practice or develop.
(3) Easy to understand.
(1) No pictures or maps or schematics shown.
(2) No case studies or examples presented.
(3) Not concise. For example, there are 28 chapters in the seventh edition (2004). At a high level, one should be able to identify less than ten key competencies, with each having additional sub-topics. For example, it is easier on the reader to have one chapter on "Foster open Communication" with sub sections of "Write effectively", "Listen attentively", "speak with Impact", etc. rather than have a chapter each. A person solely relying on this book will have difficulty summarizing key leadership qualities. (Imagine organizing 28 chapters in the mind!).
(4) Systematic methodology for skill development not presented.
All this makes for dry reading. But then, if you look upon this book as a reference manual and not as a textbook, you might develop some compassion for the authors!Read more ›
The bad news is that all of the content is in endless streams of paragraphs or bullet points. The total absence of a change in pace (no anecdotes, case studies, sidebars, pictures) makes this a very dry read. The book could be significantly enlivened by the addition of more diagrams that visually illustrate the principles being described.
To make the best use of this material, learn to Mind Map (see Buzan's The Mind Mapping book). As you read through the material, distill the content into mind maps. Continually refer to those mind maps as you practice the behaviors suggested by the authors.
In summary, the content is first-rate, the presentation is lacking.
Since managers are in the position between line supervisors and department directors, they play a key role in shaping strategy, implementing policy, and providing guideance to staff. All mangers should have basic skills prior to their appointment, but a book like this will help fine tune those skills. The format is more than just pages of text on how to do things right. It acknowledges the vastness of managing people and the complexity of some situations. There is no textbook response to any given situation, but a book like this can help managers give situations perspective.
This book is highly recommended. No manager should be so arrogant as to think they have all the answers all of the time. Taking the time to read this book then refer back to it often will help any manager be that successful manager the book's title speaks of.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Very helpful tool I use at work!! Very happy with my purchase. I gave it 5 stars.Published 7 months ago by Elliott Talavera
Great reference manual. Wish there was an electronic version of this!Published 19 months ago by Kentucky Gal
I haven't had a chance to sit down and go through it like planned. I was able to borrow one from the library at work, but quickly realized I wanted to make notes in the margins,... Read morePublished 22 months ago by Lucretia A. Myers