Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now Kids Halloween Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Super Humanoids All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon May 20, 2007
Honestly, when "Succubus Blues" arrived on my review stack, I was worried. It looked good, but it also raised a few warning flags; this could, I thought, be another lascivious sex romp disguised as urban fantasy/horror, proving little more than an excuse to have demons and other supernatural creatures get naked and sweaty with lustful mortals.

I was pleasantly surprised, however, to find relatively little graphic sex -- apart from a few torrid scenes here and there, and one opening encounter that will bring joy and hope to basement-dwelling ubergeeks everywhere. "Succubus Blues" is a very good novel, featuring (obviously) an "alluring, shape-shifting demon who seduces and pleasures mortal men." In exchange for their souls, of course, but Georginia Kincaid apparently makes that little trade quite worthwhile in her Seattle stomping grounds.

Georgina's life is troubled, because she can get all the sex she wants but love and romance are largely denied her. Carnal acts -- even really good kisses -- steal life force away, and while Georgina is immortal, it doesn't serve well to deplete and kill the men she loves. So she leads an emotionally vacant life, supplementing her nocturnal duties with a more mundane job as an assistant bookstore manager, hanging out when time allows with a couple of vampire pals, a demon or two and even the occasional angel. Technically, succubi are evil, but Georgina doesn't get too involved with the politics of her job.

But then someone starts killing the people around her, and Georgina finds bigger issues to deal with than romance. Is it an amateur vampire slayer, inspired by the exploits of a popular TV heroine, or is something more sinister at work? And what's a poor succubus to do when the doors of both Heaven and Hell close on her cries for assistance?

Figures that Georgina would suddenly find, not one, but two romantic possibilities in her life.

"Succubus Blues" is a damn fine first book, and Mead can be proud to make such a bold stride into the market. Her protagonist is sexy, appealing, smart and resourceful, but amped-up sensuality isn't much use against the thing stalking the streets of Seattle.

The book is hardly action-packed; Mead moves the story along slowly, spending more time on characters than plot, so adrenaline junkies may be bored. That's a shame, because the characters are extremely well-developed, and the action she provides is certainly worth the wait. Sexaholics may want to avoid this one, too; the sex in this book is mostly of the "tease and titillate" variety, not the graphic stuff you'd expect if Georgina's cleavage-baring dress on the cover was cut just a little lower. The denouement, while not too hard to spot well in advance, is still grist for one good read with plenty left over for a sequel.

by Tom Knapp, Rambles.(n e t) editor
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon April 16, 2007
Even when people whose opinions I respected told me I'd like "Succubus Blues", I couldn't quite get past the title. Then, I had a few minutes to spare at my local bookstore while my husband perused the computer books and I picked the book up.

I was laughing in the first chapter and of course Georgina went home with me. Georgina Kinkaid, the protagonist, is a succubus and has been since ancient Greece. She's surprisingly decent for someone who drinks the life essence of her lovers to stay alive.

For starters, Georgina doesn't pick men who she considers nice. She buys her own flowers and chocolates and wishes sometimes for a child and someone to love.

Okay, and she works at a bookstore--not the first occupation I'd thought she'd have. When her favorite author shows up at the Emerald, the Seattle based bookstore she works at, she's elated. She's so elated, she tells a customer at the store's coffee shop been a fan forever and reads only 5 pps of his books per day--because they come out so frequently. Little does she know that customer is the author himself.

Next, she tries to beg off of a 'date' with her boss and gets involved with handsome Roman, a teacher of linguistics.

Two good men at once and she won't allow herself either because being with them could substantially shorten their lives.

Then, someone starts killing the immortals in the area. First a vampire who Georgina had problems with--then, an angel, who no one thought could be killed.

This isn't precisely what I'd term an action-filled thriller, but Ms. Mead keeps reader interest by bonding her readers to a sympathetic character and embedding some pretty good hooks at the end of chapters.

If you're looking for hard erotica, "Succubus Blues" is probably not for you. There are two sex scenes and the rest is titillation.

The writing is good. Ms. Mead really does know how to create characters who come alive on the page. Her characterization of Seth, the shy author, seems so endearing and spot on and Georgina, who no longer plays by the devil's rules, is someone you can like despite her occupation.

Ms. Mead's 'voice' is good. She's got a lot of humor in her writing and can really depict interactions like you were there.

The writing is also economical. For the most part, Ms. Mead knows when to show and when to just simply tell and get on with the story. This skill helps the reader keep moving without long narrative passages that make you lose interest.

The bad is very little. I wish I had seen more of Seattle in the writing. We read about the U District and Queen Anne, but we really don't see it--setting is a critical part of any novel. I was able to fill in the blanks with my own images because I lived in Portland, OR and visited Seattle, but other readers could not and really should have a glimpse at the Emerald City.

Also, when I read there were killings, I actually expected a bit more action in the book. Yes, there were two pretty strong action sequences near the end, but for the most part, Georgina is on the periphery. If Ms. Mead plans to create more of a thriller this next time, she may want to have Georgina discover the body(ies) at the first of the book and be more into the gore.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is not the type of work that I read; however, some Amazon friends reviewed this and I became intrigued. After having read this excellent thriller, I'd like to share my thoughts.

First, the cast of characters is quirky, including immortals, such as demons, angels, imps, vampires, and a succubus. And a strange creature that I had never heard about before, foreshadowed, of all things, by Scripture. The central character is a charismatic succubus, Georgina Kincaid. A succubus leads a life that is intriguing--shape-shifting, libidinous life style (although it can cost her lovers time off their life span and worse), immortality. Georgina works in a bookstore in Seattle, populated with mortals and immortals. Her snappy one-liners, putdowns, and so on make her an interesting and even likeable character--despite her effects on her lovers.

The bawdiness and humor take a dark turn when two immortals come up dead and two others attacked and hurt. Much of the rest of the volume focuses on the efforts of the immortals, led by a demon and an angel, to determine who the villain is and how to stop the attrition of immortals.

And, as a complicating part of the plot line, Georgina is interested in two very different men--Roman and Seth. On the face of it, she is torn in an impossible situation. Developing a physical relationship with them would wound them badly (at the very least); her attraction to them without being able to go any further is a torture in itself.

At any rate, the novel moves toward a tense confrontation and sets the stage for sequels. A reference to Peleus and Thetis (pages 342-343) suggests some future twists and turns. And I would, against all odds, be interested in looking at those sequels, one of which, as I understand it, is already out. This is well written and a real hoot; the pace moves ahead with great momentum.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 6, 2010
Succubus Blues, is the first in the Georgina Kincaid series of books staring a likeable succubus and her tragic (or not so tragic) life. Georgina is an interesting character, as are her group of friends. She struggles hard to deal with her powers which allow her to sap the life force from humans. At the beginning of the story, Georgina is sapping the life force of a nerdy `good' mortal who sold his soul in exchange for her favors.

I was quite intrigued at first, and indeed, I like the author's writing style. But I rapidly got a bit bored by her love life which consists of Georgina refusing to date good men, but doing so anyway and toying with them emotionally. To make matters worse, her main love interests seem to consist of Seth, a nerdy writer, and Roman, a romantic young man she meets in the bookstore where she works.

As the story progressed, I came to really dislike Seth, who I know is the major love interest for Georgina. What is odd, is I'm not certain why I dislike him... Except that he seems a bit too good to be true. Georgina herself kind of began to irk me as well. Because despite not `wanting' to get involved with men and refusing to date, she seems to not actively discourage them either. Why not transform herself into a hag? Problem solved. Georgina also seems fairly modern for a person born so long ago. By this time, she should have the hang of her powers and have a steady relationship with another immortal who wouldn't be harmed by her special abilities. Instead she comes off as a bit of a novice, unaware of the dating scene and still psychologically struggling with the ramifications of her gift.

This is an ok series, and I might try another, because I like the writing style, even if some of the characterization seems a bit weak.
on June 8, 2009
I was really looking forward to reading this book. The Vampire Academy series is one of my favorite new series and I was hoping that Mead's first adult series would be just as engaging. I didn't find this series opener as engaging as Vampire Academy was and I thought the characterization was a bit weak. The world that Mead created is interesting though and the main character has to deal with interesting moral issues.

Georgina Kincaid is a succubus. Unfortunately she is a somewhat unwilling succubus; instead of corrupting good souls she tends to feed off of the bottom-dwellers of society, much to the disdain of her demon boss. Georgina likes to live as a human and holds a job at a book store. When immortals in the community start dying after they argue with Georgina, the demon and angel community wants to know how she is involved.

I wanted to love this book, but I really only found it somewhat engaging. Georginia has been alive for centuries yet she still seems to struggle with some basic interaction with humans; which I found a bit unbelievable. She is also an indecisive and weak character. She spent a lot of the book getting distracted and making decisions and then unmaking them. She also spent the majority of the book whining about her succubus nature and then giving into it and then whining that she gave into it. All in all I thought the main character left a lot to be desired. Georgina's bright spot was her sharp wit; which after reading Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1), still wasn't nearly as sharp as Kate Daniel's.

The above being said, some of the side characters were worth meeting. Gerogina's demon boss was interesting and his angelic friend Carter also promises to be an engaging character. The book writer Seth has many dimensions to his character that are just starting to be explored. The world itself is also interesting; Mead's angle on demon/angel politics was engaging and I am interested in learning more.

All in all I was expecting more of an paranormal action book and what I got was a paranormal romance novel. The actions scenes are all but non-existent; in fact Georgina spends some of what could be the most intense action scenes oblivious to the world. There are sections where the book drags quite a bit and not a whole lot happens. Overall though the book was engaging and interesting to read. In fact I have to say that the last three or four chapters in this book really redeemed it and made me decide to read the next book.

I am trying to keep in mind that this was kind of the intro book to the series, so overall I think it was okay. I am interested in what the second book will bring, but still on the fence as to whether or not I will continue reading after that. I really like my paranormal books heavier on the action, than on the romantic side. This book was definitely more of a romance. It has potential to be more of an action type.

I really enjoyed Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1) series more than this one so far. I also enjoyed Mead's Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, Book 1) a lot more. Hopefully the next book will be better.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 31, 2014
You know you don't like a book when you would rather fold laundry than pick it up again.

As I was struggling with this book yesterday, I was thinking, "Maybe I have some dishes to do or something? What chores can I do?" Not a good sign.

**Some mild spoilers ahead**

Most people love this book so feel free to ignore me. In all fairness, I had read some really good urban fantasy books right before this one so I was coming off a huge UF high when I picked this up. And it did not measure up. At all.

Let me start with the world building, which I found to be incredibly weak. All of these supernatural characters (an angel, an imp, a demon, and some vampires) meet to chat with Georgina and drink beer at her house, seemingly everyday. They kind of bitch about their looks and getting girls and whatever. They seem like overgrown frat boys, not supernaturals. I honestly had no idea about what the heck their roles were. They just seemed to sit around all day and do nothing. The vampires don't hunt, the imp doesn't imp, and the demon and the angel (though they were supposed to be really powerful) do a whole lot of nothing.

These are the least super supernaturals that I have ever encountered.

I was bored by the lack of world-building, totally bored.

The most exciting thing these guys do is go swing dancing in a book store. True fact.

When supernaturals start dying, all of the supernatural friends of Georgina kind of sit there with their thumbs in their mouths and wait to see what would happen next. These guys don't fight, and aside from some lame detective work from Georgina, they all don't seem to really care about the danger facing them. It was really odd.

The whole reason that Georgina attempted detective work was that the more powerful supernaturals decided to keep some information from her. Why they chose to do this was never made clear... I think because they didn't want to worry her or some crap?? The stuff that Georgina "figured out" is really bordering on common knowledge. Why she didn't think to learn more about paranormal beings in the centuries that she has been alive completely baffles me. What the freak do you do with your time, Georgina??? You have no desire to LEARN anything about your situation? You don't know who can kill you or your friends? Who can sense power and who can mask it? Really, nothing???

Georgina also irritated me to no end. If you are going to have a character be a succubus, than make her a freaking bad ass succubus. Georgina was whiny, timid, and fickle. She was all, "Love me, don't look at me, LOVE ME, GET THE F AWAY FROM ME" with everyone, even her friends. And the book was not even hot! Georgina had body and image issues to no end, she had no confidence, and she was just a very unappealing succubus. She did nothing for me, to be honest.

To top off the content issues, there were some editing issues that I couldn't overlook. Now, mind you, my copy was from Amazon, NOT an ARC. This book should be proofread, right? Then explain these little tidbits:

"I was a hair's breath away from kissing Roman again, from taking him somewhere-anywhere-where we could be alone and naked, where I could do all the things I'd fanta-sized doing with him." (loc 2586)

"Christ, I'll never forget the first day I saw you. How feisty you where." (loc 4031)

You what now??

There were so many examples of editing issues like this. It really bothered me and took away from the scraps of reading pleasure that I had.

The only thing that I wanted to do after reading this was write some Jerome/Carter slash fiction. Anyone else feel the sexual tension there?
on May 8, 2007
Succubus Blues is the first in the Georgina Kincaid series. Georgina is a succubus, an alluring, shape-shifting demon who seduces and pleasures mortal men. And she's good at her job - really good. But after having sold her soul nearly a millennia ago, she's tired. Tired of not being able to go on a decent date without having to worry as to whether or not she'll end up sucking the guy's soul out in one kiss - literally. Talk about put a damper on a first date. But there is an upside in Georgina's life. Her job. She's an assistant manager at a local bookstore and has access to all the free books she can get her hands on - what more could a girl want? Aside from the aforementioned decent date, and well, getting her hands on her oh-so-favorite author, Seth Mortensen.

However, those are things that will have to wait because someone or something is taking out Seattle's immortal residents and Georgina and her immortal friends don't know who'll be next. And when all eyes start turning to her, she decides to do a bit of own snooping of her own.

I whole-heartedly enjoyed reading this book. It was hot, sexy and very entreating read. I thoroughly enjoyed the worlds that Richelle Mead created around Georgina - both the mortal and immortal. Georgina still has enough of her humanity to make the reader feel connected to her. She wants what most people want in life - to be able to love and be loved in return.

Succubus Blues also has a great supporting cast: Hugh, her friend and professional imp; Jerome, her demon boss who looks to have a John Cusak fetish; and Carter, the grungy angel who lives to torment Georgina, as well as a host of other equally engaging and likable characters.

If you're looking for a hot new author and equally hilarious and steamy mystery, I'd definitely check out Succubus Blues.
VINE VOICEon July 26, 2008
Georgina Kincaid has been a Succubus for centuries, luring men into sexual escapades and then using their life force to sustain her own energy. But lately she has lost interest in her seducing ways, she's not a ruthless succubus and she only seduces when she absolutely has to. She secretly covets the things normal women have, actual loving relationships and children.

When her circle of immortal friends, vampires, imps and angels, start getting attacked by some unseen force, Georgina begins to investigate, seeking the source of the new chaos. Along the way she is fighting her attraction to two men, unwilling to let them touch or be touched by her as she truly cares about them both. Georgina has all the qualities of a great succubus with the addition of a heart and conscience.

Many of my Amazon pals have raved about this book. Even with all their glowing reviews, I was still surprised at the depth of this story and the talent of this writer. This book was hilarious at times and saddening, too. The mystery was compelling and the characters enchanting. I love books that blend fantasy and reality so well that you believe in the fantasy just as easily as you accept the reality; this book achieved that. This is a cast of characters and a series I will follow, for sure.

Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, Book 2)
Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid, Book 3)

Cherise Everhard, July 2008
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 10, 2007
I haven't been this excited about an author since I discovered the Dresden Files, and the parallel is rather appropriate. Both authors create a protagonist that is complex and likeable and a world so intricately designed the reader can't help but be drawn in.

The most amazing thing about this novel is that these characters have many dimensions, and are easy to relate to. No character is pure good or evil. They are people caught up by and shaped by circumstances. I can't wait for the next installment to come out in this must read series.
on March 22, 2007
Every now and then you will come across and author that will knock your socks off. This is one of those times. Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead is a complelling story of a Succubus that is looking for love. Sounds simple right? The problem is that she cannot get close without literaly sucking the life out of that person, slowly. A succubus needs the life energy in order for her to live. She may be able to have all sex she wants, but a close realionship she will never have.

This story come to life and jumps off the pages at you. It is witty and complelling in that each and every charater is important to the story. In itself this is unusal, most of the time secondary characters take time to develop. Not so here, and you will become just as involved with them and their story. Soon you find that they haved wormed into you heart and you too have become part of this powerfully written and so enjoyable story about the never ending battle between good and evil.