Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sudo Mastery: User Access Control for Real People
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 14, 2013
Disclaimer: I was a technical reviewer for this book, and got a free copy. Disclaimer to the disclaimer: I would totally pay for this book anyway.

If you're a sysadmin, your expertise might be limited -- as mine was -- to something like "%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL", then making sure you're in the wheel group. But sudo can do more, so very much more. Did you know that sudo -i can replace "sudo su -"? I didn't. How about sudoreplay, which lets you see exactly what someone did to bring down the system? News to me. Michael W. Lucas takes us through sudo from start to finish, from local files to LDAP, from let-the-sysadmin-do-anything to precisely delimited DBA-appropriate commands, and explains the wherefores, the whys and the WTFs along the way. He's careful, he's precise, and he lets you know the shortcomings that inevitably accompany any problem's solution.

Lucas' writing is great, as always. I've read many of his books, and I enjoy the way he will step back and bring some levity. If that's not your cup of tea, I suppose you could pass this up...but man, you'd be missing out.

It's awesome, it's Lucas, it's sudo. Buy it now.
on December 6, 2013
Michael W Lucas has always been one of my favorite authors because he brings exceptional narrative to information that has the potential to be rather boring. Sudo Mastery is no exception.

I should begin by saying that I'm not a sysadmin. I work in information security and spend most of my time breaking into systems or trying to catch people who breaking into systems. Because of this, I focused on the components of the book that I thought were the most relevant to me. Particularly, ways that I could use sudo in post-exploitation scenarios or ways to interpret sudo commands in incident response scenarios. I was very pleased with the content, and feel like my day to day job benefits from having the knowledge gained from it.

Overall, I didn't know that there was so much to learn related to sudo. This book will stay on my iPad as my definitive sudo resource any time I need to dig back into the advanced mechanics of the tool. I can only imagine that sysadmins who use sudo from an administrative level will find this book monumentally useful. The book is a quick read, full of useful information, and well put together. It's a very focused book for a very focused tool, and does a perfect job at delivering on all counts.
on July 12, 2014
The vast majority of people don't know how to use sudo, but reading this book will teach them in an easy to understand way. It will not only show them "How" to configure sudo but "Why" they would configure it in a particular way.
on February 18, 2015
great book filled with useful, informative and practical information written by an author who not only educates but entertains.
i cant think of another technical author that in one paragraph can both impart solid information and make me laugh out loud. well done.
on January 9, 2015
Happy to learn how to do sudo correctly! You'll learn many small tidbits of information from the book and it will make you a better system user and admin.

Thanks Michael for this book!
on December 9, 2014
Disclaimer: I was a technical reviewer for this book.

This book is worth it's weight in gold (or bitcoins if you bought the digital version (and might be worth more than gold right now anyway)). It teaches you end-to-end how to set up sudo for home workstation or enterprise. You know that several hundred thousand dollar contract you signed for some enterprise management tool? You won't want to read this if you work in a tall building.
on December 26, 2014
Great book that is well written and very informative but also written in such a way that its like a one on one conversation.
on December 20, 2014
Very helpful. I'm glad this was here as it really made controlling access to my systems simple.
on August 13, 2014
Very well written and quite useful. This will help any admin that needs to manage sudo access.
on August 17, 2015
Simple and concise presentation of a syntax that can be confusing.