5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing! Music for the Soul., October 11, 2004
Thomas W. Altizer (Arlington, VA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sufi Traveler (Audio CD)
Hearing a snippet of this album on NPR was enough to make me want to hear it in its entirety. This is astonishing music; relaxing and exhilerating, new and ancient simultaneously. Having been fortunate to travel to Turkey, I find this CD very evocative of the magic that is Turkey! Buy this CD today. You'll be listening to it for years. "Feed your head."

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers the whole gamut of emotion., February 7, 2008
BrownFoote (Denver, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sufi Traveler (Audio CD)
The first thing to note about Sufi Traveler is that it is actually two previously released CD's in one. The first is Nar, and the second is Seyahatname. Next of course, is that Mercan Dede is superb in blending authentic rhythms and insturments from his homeland in Turkey with more "Western" electronica and ambient sound. However, this blend does NOT create what I often call, the "White" effect. It doesn't sound like Americans trying to make a Middle Eastern-style recording. It is soothing to the ear of those accustomed to "real" M.E. music, but also welcoming to those who aren't terribly familiar with it. There is one song on the 2nd disk, however, that does have what sounds like a California surfer talking about doing Dervish dance, Whirling. It is a little disconcerting to me, but once he stops talking, I can appreciate the more exotic sound of the music again. I have used these two CDs for prayer and meditation, and wonderfully for social and also Belly dance. They alternate between songs with a slower tempo and soothing flute and strings, to great, heavy drums on others. Very emotionally evocative over all.

5.0 out of 5 stars mercan dede and the sufi techno mix, February 11, 2005
This review is from: Sufi Traveler (Audio CD)
I have been listening his albums since a long time and he really performs his philosophy of 'counter points in sufism where the idea is everything in the nature exists with its counter points. here techno and tradiitonal rythims create excellent harmony out of counter points'

4.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual traveler, May 7, 2007
This review is from: Sufi Traveler (Audio CD)
Floating lyrical melodies, violin arabesques, sensuous rythms, leading us throught sinuous corridors into the eastern mediterranean light!

5.0 out of 5 stars ethereal beats, March 4, 2013
This review is from: Sufi Traveler (MP3 Music)
I do a power yoga/modern dance/bodyweight workout program and I love that this just goes with me. I get pulled in. The vocals are top notch and the drumming is otherworldly. Buy it. It's a two disc set. What could be better than non-stop yoga music on your ipod? Better yet go to the beach and listen to it. Or a mountain. Or a stream. Or a wide open field. Whatever you have.

Or get the feeling of those places on a city street corner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turkey today!, January 31, 2013
This review is from: Sufi Traveler (Audio CD)
I love Turkish anything but this album was truly exciting and different from most of the contemporary Turkish music that I have heard. It's modern and fresh but at the same time ancient and mysterious.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating album, July 14, 2009
This review is from: Sufi Traveler (Audio CD)
This is one of the best efforts at creating world music I've ever heard. Incredibly syncretic and very genuine. The compositions are all accessible to a western listener yet still maintain a middle eastern spirit. The arrangements are subtle and sophisticated, employing a wide range of instruments. There are some truly brilliant performances on this album. I have only just recently learned of Mercan Dede, but I will definitely be looking at his other releases.

Sufi Traveler
Sufi Traveler by Mercan Dede (Audio CD - 2004)
Rate and Discover Movies