5.0 out of 5 stars A great boxed set, January 21, 2008
This review is from: Sugar Hill Records: A Retrospective (Audio CD)
As the Nashville Sound developed, it ignored the market for traditional country music leading to the creation of Sugar Hill Records in 1978. This company was founded and continues to produce the best of traditional country music. They prefer to call their sound "roots-based contemporary music", which has merit. This is a combination of traditional sounds featuring old and new songs by some of our best artists.
The four music CDs are outstanding and I've found it impossible to find a pick of the litter. The first CD covers 1978 to 1986, starting with a fine Ricky Skaggs song and includes Doc Watson, The Osborne Brothers and The Country Gentleman. The second CD covers from 1982 to 1996 with The Seldom Scene, another Doc Watson, Townes Van Zant and some classic tracks. CD number three contains Del McCoury, another Seldom Scene track coupled with some classic and cotemporary songs. The fourth CD, 1998 to 2003, starts strong with Rodney Crowell doing I Walk the Line (Revisited) and never slows down. Don Rigsby, Nickel Creek and Dolly Parton keep the energy high and our foot tapping. The four CDs contain over eighty songs not one of which I consider a clinker. Included in the set is a 65-page booklet on the company, the artists and songs with photos on every page. A DVD of interviews, videos and a photo gallery complete the set. This is one collection that always is played both for the quality of the artists and the selection of songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great stuff here. Good introduction to their artists., January 6, 2009
Joseph Somsel (San Jose, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sugar Hill Records: A Retrospective (Audio CD)
I had only the barest notion of what Sugar Hill Records was all about when I picked up this box on impulse at a Towers Records store closing sale. I am so glad I bought it.

Beyond just the listening pleasures it brings, it serves to expose one to a broad range of styles and artists that I never would have discovered. With this box, I can explore deeper into individual groups. For example, I had never heard of Red Knuckles but they did my favorite of the whole set "If You Ain't Loving, You Ain't Living." A capella Southern white male gospel singing was something else I wouldn't have dug into but I discovered I loved the pieces here.

I've since bought additional sets for gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD set that I have purchased in years. Lot's of "New Favorites", May 28, 2014
Bob Jarvis (Fairfield, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sugar Hill Records: A Retrospective (Audio CD)
Grew up on C&W and a "recent convert" (mid 1980s) to Bluegrass. The first album I ever bought was Johnny Cash "The Hits That Made Him Famous" in the late 60's; I'll never forget how great I thought that album was, I've got the same feeling about this one. Very wide array of styles and artists - no need to pin it down as any one genre but any bluegrass or county/classic country fan will be pleased. I have an extensive collection of CDs and believed my collection was complete but now I find that many artists that I had passed by on the record/cd shelves should have been added to my buy list years ago. Lot's of "New Favorites" in this bunch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Sugar Hill Records: A Retrospective (Audio CD)
A must have collection for bluegrass, folk, country lovers. This is a well thought out collection of great music. A timeless piece for your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars great sampling of bluegrass and related, December 3, 2012
This review is from: Sugar Hill Records: A Retrospective (Audio CD)
I will now go and investigate some of the Sugar Hill artists in more detail.
Great diverse sampling of primarily bluegrass but also a bit of country,
blues and other. Great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album and a thorough, complete retrospective., April 16, 2011
This review is from: Sugar Hill Records: A Retrospective (Audio CD)
I waited on this for awhile since it isn't cheap, but man am i glad i finally got it! Full of gems from Sugar Hill's past. Really great selections and enough music to keep you busy for awhile! I haven't even touched the thick book or DVD that came with it (which i didn't expect) and the box is classy enough to display on your coffee table.
Don't wait! If you are a fan of classic country, bluegrass, roots, etc., you'll find plenty that you like on these 4 discs!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Compilation, January 16, 2007
This review is from: Sugar Hill Records: A Retrospective (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful compilation of great songs from various Sugar Hill artists. They are all winners. It is a joy to listen to again and again. I strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Sweet" Sugar Hill, January 7, 2015
This review is from: Sugar Hill Records: A Retrospective (Audio CD)
This is a great compilation, mostly of bluegrass and related country music selections, from the Sugar Hill label, the 1970's to the early 2000's. It gives you a review of those years and Sugar Hill's "repertoire".

Sugar Hill Records: A Retrospective
Sugar Hill Records: A Retrospective by Sugar Hill Records: Retrospective (Audio CD - 2006)