Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sugar Snow (Little House Picture Book)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 21, 2000
Life in the "Little House" days is so different from my own kids' suburban lives that they are fascinated by this series. The reviewer who wrote that these are a poor substitute for the real thing is wrong. These are a great introduction for kids to these books, help them get a historical perspective of earlier American life, and will wet their appetite to read the original Little House books when they are old enough.
on February 19, 2005
One of the things I like about this book for young readers is that the same vocabulary words are repeated throughout the series so that the kids can build on what they learned in one book while they're reading the next.

At first, I was disappointed with the series since I didn't think it did justice to the Little House series that I treasured myself as a girl. After a few reads, however, I see that the magic of Laura Ingalls Wilder's stories shines through in this series with Renee Graef's illustrations. How else do you explain to a four-year-old what a log cabin is really like? I am surprised how many "How.." and "Why..." questions this series has provoked. Regarding this book in particular, my daughter asked about a million questions about the maple syrup-making process.
on May 15, 2000
This is a good way to give your kids a taste of the Little House on the Prairie that they can read themselves. Easy to read and a delightful story. Soft watercolored pictures throughout the story. I recommend this series to get your child reading.
on February 24, 2014
This is one of a series of chapter books based on the Little House on the Prairie books.
Not only are the stories delightful but they give children a taste of history. The stories are short enough to be bedtime story books. The illustrations are simple and beautiful. I have the whole series and love them all. I originally bought them for my children and now my grandchildren are enjoying them. I have also bought these books for gifts and have never found a child who didn't like them. These are books that you will not tire of reading. They are part of my "keep forever" library.
on December 31, 2014
This is a nice way to present a chapter of Little House in the Big Woods - less reading and more pictures. It is good for readers who are interested in the series but not ready to read a chapter book, or to use as an introduction or summary of the chapter. I am very satisfied with the book!
on September 17, 2014
These "First Little House" books are WONDERFUL, now you don't have to wait until your child is old enough for the original series, these are written basic and sweet but not to over non readers heads. I read this to my 2 year old granddaughter and we both LOVED it. The illustrations in these books are done so well so eye appeasing that it helps the non reader to stay with the reader.

This one like the theme of some of the chapters in the original series you were 'taught' a lesson they teach how they would tap the trees to get syrup from them etc. Was wonderful!

We loved this book...and I'm sure the entire series of these
on April 10, 2013
Note: I love all things Little House, so my views are a bit skewed. That said, the illustrations are so perfect in this book. I bought this for my daughter, so she could also enjoy the adventures of the Ingalls family and she loves it (and the others I have purchased). Sweet stories, great pictures.
on March 5, 2013
My granddaughter liked this one, we almost have the entire collection now. She likes to read and reread these books all the time so I highly recommend these for Mother's and Grandmothers to buy for that special little girl in your family.
on February 19, 2007
Sugar Snow, an adaptation from the Little House on the Prarie classic series, will delight children and peak their interest in Pioneering life. The illustrations capture the attention and imagination of young children, whetting their appetite for more.

In this tale, kids learn about how children used to pass time before the advent of TV. They also get a mini lesson on what it takes to make a pancake favorite...MAPLE SYRUP! A sweet delight for you and your child!
on September 23, 2011
I picked this book up because we live in Northern Wisconsin. After reading we made sugar snow, and the kids had a blast. It's still on our bookshelf with other children's books we hold on to long term, and the kids pick it up and beg for sugar snow in the winter.