Customer Discussions > Graceling forum

Suggest Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2008 7:50:23 PM PST
Readstoomuch says:
I'm a 17 year old girl who loves reading.
Right now I'm in a fantasy/adventure/romance mood
I've recently read The Hunger Games and Graceling.
I loved how romance was included in them, this is a must!
I'm not offended by any sex scenes or anything so don't worry about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 8:13:33 PM PST
Emily Joy says:
I was going to post almost the exact same question. I'm having a hard time finding romance/fantasy/adventure with strong female heroines. Graceling and Hunger Games were ridiculously awesome.

You've probably already read the Twilight series and the Host, if you haven't you should. Here is a good list of my other favorites from the past year:

Uglies, Pretties, Specials
A Certain Slant of Light
Vampire Academy Series
Tithe and the 2 sequels
Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse novels
Evernight

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2008 12:19:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2008 12:20:46 PM PST
WriterGal says:
You might try Melissa Marr's books: Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange. Holly Black's series (the one Emily Joy mentioned) is also popular (Tithe, Valiant, Ironside). I also recommend Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier. Another really popular series is Libba Bray's. Great and Terrible Beauty is the first book of Bray's series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2009 4:23:30 PM PST
BLC says:
AGATB kicks butt!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2009 4:44:20 PM PST
Emily Joy says:
Just finished Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters Trilogy. It was addictive and wonderful with romance, adventure and a magic- highly recommended.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 10:57:29 AM PST
Kort says:
I'm 37 and a guy, but have been a fantasy novel ready most of my life. I just read Graceling and enjoyed it too.

The various Shannara books are grand adventures with romance thrown in here and there. Very good reading. Terry Brooks' other series are good as well. David Eddings Pawn of Prophecy books rock, and Piers Anthony's varios series make great reads too. The Morgaine Saga by C. J. Cherryh has a female heroin and was a series I enjoyed. Anne Rice's vampire (and other) novels still set the standard for that genre and I started reading them when I was about 16/17.

Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series is one I highly recommend, but only if you have the time to really lose yourself in it. Raymond E. Feist and his Riftwar saga is another great epic, and his Daughter of the Empire series with Janny Wurtz is another great one with a female as the heroine. Super series. Check out the Clan of the Cavebear series if you haven't yet...it is a bit different from the others but amazing as well. Another of a different note is Stranger in a Strange Land...a book you won't forget.

I could go on, but that should keep you busy for the better part of a year, hahahah. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 12:28:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2009 12:31:26 PM PST
Heather says:
I second Emily Joy's recommendations and will add a few more. All have that fun, butterfly romance storyline; however not all are fantasy novels. I'll categorize for you so that you can pick something according to your mood.
Fantasy=
Anything by L.J. Smith, especially the Nightworld series. I feel in love with it at 12 years old, and I still love it a 23.
City of Bones and City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr
Wondrous Strange by Livingston
Why I let my hair grow out by Mayrose Wood

Non-fantasy=
When it Happens by Susan ?
The Truth about Forever and This Lullaby by Sara Dessen
How I live now, can't remember the author

This should at least get you started, there are 4 different series by L.J. Smith alone, each with at least 3 books. I hope you enjoy them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009 3:52:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2009 3:54:12 PM PST
HHK says:
Maria Snyder trilogy- starts with Poison Study
Michelle Sagara West series- starts with Cast in Secret ( more adventure, romance is subtle).
I too love Juliett Marrillier- her new two new books: Cybele's secret and Heir to Sevenwaters are sooooo romantic.
Legacy by Cayla Kluver- nice romantic triangle. Author was on 14 when she wrote this book.
Sharon Shinn- Angelica series. Also she has a stand alone: Summers in Castle Auburn- wonderful fantasy and romance!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009 9:47:39 AM PST
duskstarjds says:
I second the Maria Snyder books and "Summers at Castle Auburn. I'd also recommend "Crown Duel" by Sherwood Smith.

Posted on May 11, 2009 10:37:07 PM PDT
E. Russove says:
Anything by Tamora Pierce. Try the Song of the Lioness quartet first, then the Wild Magic quartet and then Protector of the Small. They're all wonderful books, and they all have that fantasy/adventure vibe with some romance that you're looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2009 2:34:22 AM PDT
Irene Paige says:
read Juliet Marillier the Sevenwaters trilogy. If you enjoy a good fantasy with a twist of romance that is beautifully written you will love these three books.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2009 2:38:09 AM PDT
Irene Paige says:
I loved those books as well and would recommend them to fantasy lovers. I've found some of Robin McKinley's books have the same draw for me, The Blue Sword and Deerskin in particular. As well as Crown Dual and Court Dual by Sherwood Smith.

Posted on Aug 31, 2009 7:39:26 PM PDT
Need- Carrie Jones (This is kind of a werewolf-pixie book,sounds weird but is awesome) Shiver-Maggie Stiefvator(werewolf book!) ,Wondorous Strange-Lesly Livingston(this is just a fairy book! No werewolves!) And of course anything by Melisa Marr od Holly Black!

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 7:03:34 PM PDT
A Great and Terrible Beauty and its sequels by Libba Bray
Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Green Rider (romance is a bit light at the moment, but an excellent fantasy adventure that promises more as the series prgresses) by Kristen Britain

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2009 10:13:49 AM PDT
Jennifer says:
Okay, i loved graceling and i love the whole romance, adventure, fantsy books. Their my escape. SO i recomend these books...

The Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson ( A MUST READ! )
The House of Night novels by P.C Cast
Betwixt by Bray Smith, Its a little wierd but i enjoyed it.
Evermore by Alyson Noel (Read it, you will not be dissapointed!)
The WIzard Heir by, Cinda Williams Chima (Around the middle of the book is where the romance comes in)
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (I love this book to death!)

I hope these help. Im trying to find new books to read also, its kind of hard. Oh im 16 so you should like most of these books.

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 6:29:24 PM PST
Diego says:
I am 18 years old and could have posted that same message, which was why I looked at this post in the first place :). I think you should try The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. Great fantasy story with some romance. It will fill the gap hopefully...

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 6:24:33 PM PDT
"Bounty", by Harper Alexander. ( Bounty (Volume 1) ) It's a really good book, just a wonderful read. Strong, dark, romantic, funny, with action and intrigue and a GREAT ending! Check it out!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 7:34:40 PM PDT
Kort says:
Diana Gabaldon - Outlander: A Novel . Great series!

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 9:13:14 AM PDT
Hunger Games is the best book (series) that I have read in a long time. You are not going to find much better than that. I've just started Graceling, and I am enjoying that -- good so far.

I would suggest Mistborn -- it is a 3 part series with a strong female lead character (although very few other female characters). The first book is the best (particularly from the romance angle), but the last two books are fairly strong also.

I've always loved the Riddlemaster series. There is a compelling romance angle, but it is not the best part of the series. The best part is the slow understanding of the world the characters live in & where it is heading. A lot of people find the description of the various kingdoms boring -- but that is how you develop the understanding of this world.

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 11:16:24 AM PDT
Kalyn says:
You might like Shiver (werewolves)

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 3:26:36 PM PDT
Stacia says:
A lot of good ones have been mentioned, such as AGATB and Mortal Instruments (yay Jace). If you liked Hunger Games, I'd recommend a similar type survival book called The Maze Runner by James Dashner. The made up slang in the book (part of an upcoming trilogy) is a bit silly, but there are elements very similar to HG (kids trying to escape a maze that has vicious creatures, while the maze creators observe them from the outside) that make it a good follow up read if you like that sort of story.

I'll throw the Tairen Soul series by CL Wilson starting with Lord of the Fading Lands. This is a straight fantasy series with a main character that can also shapeshift into a flying cat. The story itself really sucks you into a world of magic, wars, and finding your truemate (which is not a love thing, it's a serious instant bond which is sort of different and hot). There are some sex scenes, but you mentioned that this isn't a problem.

If you like Urban Fantasy with romance, try Rachel Vincent's shifter series (first book called Stray). It's about a 23 year old female black werecat shifter that is constantly getting into mishaps trying to defend the secrecy of her pride. There's a nice little love triangle going on with two hot guys, but the main focus of the story is fighting and surviving (she's a very strong heroine).

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 5:29:03 PM PDT
Have you tried The Hobbit trilogy....Tolkien

Posted on Aug 1, 2010 7:07:11 PM PDT
Celine A. says:
Kristin Cashore released a companion to Graceling a few months ago. It's called Fire and has a entirely new set of characters, except for Leck.

I also recommend the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. The first book is The Iron King. This series is currently in my list of top series.

Posted on May 6, 2011 3:51:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2011 3:51:45 PM PDT
V. Armour says:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tamora Pierce's novels starting with Alanna Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, Vol. 1)

Wonderful books once you get into them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 10:18:33 PM PDT
Birdman says:
You may want to try something by Natalie R Collins...set in Utah, they deal with female heroines and topics like polygamy, abuse and cover-ups
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Graceling forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Graceling
Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Hardcover - October 1, 2008)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (1,094)