5.0 out of 5 stars Review Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap
Published on December 30, 2010 by Gene D

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small for larger heads
I bought this to use when bicycling in cold weather. It is made of good quality material and looks nice. I was hoping to use it as another skullcap; I also have a cheaper stretch-cap C9 from Target.

Published 23 months ago by Quercus Alba

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap, December 30, 2010
Gene D (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap (Apparel)
I ride mountain bikes mostly but not all the time. This skull cap is exactly what I wanted. I already had two skull caps but they do not come completely over my ears like the Sugoi. Also,the Sugoi has an insulation layer not only around the ear area but also in the entire cap. It is deeper than some other skull caps which allows pulling down completely over my head. Yes, I wear my bike helmet over it but I had to adjust the straps. This cap is made for cold weather riding.... if the temp is above 50 degrees, I will ride my "lighter" non Sugoi skull cap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cap, March 29, 2011
This review is from: Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap (Apparel)
This cap provides great warmth and It fits my head great. I wear a 7 5/8 ball cap and I was worried if this would fit. It fits just fime. I have ridden in upper 30's amd stayed warm.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small for larger heads, November 28, 2012
This review is from: Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap (Apparel)

This cap is just a smidge too small for my larger head. I wear hat size 8 1/8. This almost fits well, but it leaves just the very bottom tips of my earlobes exposed, no matter how hard I pull on it. Because of this, it is okay for me to use when it is cool out, or under a balaclava, but not on its own in really cold/windy weather, because the ears are what gets cold fastest and can't be exposed.

If you have a normal-sized melon, I would expect that this would work great for you. But don't order it if you have a larger skull like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits a 7 5/8 Head, March 10, 2013
This review is from: Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap (Apparel)
I needed a head cover for medium cool weather rides when a balaclava is a bit much. I read reviews for other head gear and decided on this one based on reviews that said it fit large heads, I wear a 7 5/8 hat size so large is needed. This is a very comfortable fit for me, not too tight at all, covers my ears well and fits under my helmet (large Giro Aeon). If your helmet is on the largest setting and snug already, this may make it uncomfortably tight, its not bulky but will add some thickness. I did have to open my helmet adjustment a few clicks for comfort.

I would certainly guess it would work up to at least 7 3/4 or maybe larger fine. If you are like me with a larger size head this is for you. If you have an average size or small head, it's probably going to be a looser fit than you want and I would suggest other options, maybe a Pearl Izumi which has comments it doesn't fit large heads.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small, February 22, 2013
This review is from: Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap (Apparel)
Far too small. Totally useless for someone with a head slightly above average size. I wish manufacturers would recognise that there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skull Cap Taken to Extremely Low Temperatures (-30 °C wind chill), May 5, 2014
TheMonk (North York, ON, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap (Apparel)
The Canadian winter of 2013/2014 was on of the coldest winters in the past 20 years. I was forced to stop cycling to work at around Christmas time due to ice and snow. Before my commute stopped, I used the Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap to cycle in a -22 °C (-8 °F) windchill for 15 kms (8 miles) without any problems. My feet and hands were the only part of my body that got cold.

I was so impressed with this skull cap I started using it as winter hat. During my short winter jogs (only 2.5 kms) in wind chills as low as -30 °C (-22 °F), this cap kept my head warm.

As my first ever skull cap in one the coldest winters in a long time this cap exceeded my expectations..

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic skull cap, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap (Apparel)
Keeps my head nice and toasty. I rode with it in 20 degree weather and it performed nicely. It does not get much colder than that where I live. It is thin enough to fit comfortably beneath my helmet. I like it so much, I where it even when I'm not biking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little small, but works and keeps you warm, May 27, 2014
This review is from: Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap (Apparel)
I haven't measured, but I consider my head pretty average, and this is a little small as the others have said. In particular, when put on it comes just below the ears and if you move your head around a lot without a helmet holding it down, it starts to creep up and expose some ear. This is generally not a problem with a helmet on.

I typically use this for 50Fs and below weather, where it works great keeping out the cold, wind, and even water until about freezing, where you'll start wishing you had a second layer. It's quite thin for the amount of insulation it provides and barely requires and adjustment of your helmet. One thing I've noticed is that it is a little annoying to put on sunglasses when it is already on, but that's really innate to the fact that it covers your ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cap, April 30, 2014
This review is from: Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap (Apparel)
This fits my head well. It covers my ears. It is warm and works great. I would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good area 0 degree celsus, but not if to windy, April 2, 2014
This review is from: Sugoi Subzero Skull Cap (Apparel)
Tested during winter/spring. Uses this one on trips between minus 5 to plus 7. Works good, but when it was quite much wind a not to warm, it good have isolated somewhat better.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sugoi Unisex SubZero Skull Cap (Black, One Size)
$28.00 $19.27