Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 19, 2013
I have mixed feelings about this series. First of all, as far as the way the books are laid out, I like them. There's a nice mix of reading and math or grammar and math and/ or writing.

However, I think the material in the books are WAY off and FAR too easy. If the idea is to give them busywork, then I guess they've done their job. If the idea is to keep their brain working, remembering what they've worked on during the year, and extending it a bit, then they do NOT do their job. I am for the latter. There is WAY too much review from the current year (but the review is too easy!) and not enough of newer/ harder material for the grade level it is supposed to be for. I ALWAYS purchase one grade above what my girls are actually entering. For example, my entering 1st grader did this book last year upon entering Kindergarten. I now purchased the grade 1 - 2 book for her upon entering 1st grade. This one would be far too easy. It has way too many "circle the picture that starts with the sound b" and things such as that. Things like that are what the first 2/3 of the book consists of. It doesn't present any newer 1st grade topics until you reach the 3rd section of the book... by the end of the summer, we usually don't get to that section b/c summer is too short and we are starting to get ready to get back to school already.

On another note, my entering 1st grader will do these books, but they are definitely NOT her favorite ones. (The colorful Hooked On Phonics ones are her favorite.) My entering 3rd grader HATES these books with a passion. Even though I purchased one of these books for her this summer, she has refused to do it b/c, according to her, "they are BORING". She would rather do pages in the Brain Quest book (again, lots of colors and silly pictures).
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2013
My daugher is entering kindergarden this year and I got her this book to do over the summer. She breazed through the first months worth ,and most of the second pretty easily. Lots of repitiion, but i noticed her improving along with the repition, and she didn't seem to mind it. I am planning on getting the next level for next year! She loved that she got a sticker at the end of evey 2 pages. (We got it in the middle of the summer so we were not doing only 1 day's worth at a time, we were doing maybe 2 or 3 to try to get through the book before school started.) She also liked that there was a certificate at the end of the book for her.

The last maybe 4 exercises finally were a little bit too tough for her level, but she made it through the whole book other than that and loved it.
on August 18, 2013
I bought this at the beginning of summer with another workbook for my 6 year old. I had her do 4-6 pages a day, pulling from both books and she loved it. Some fun stuff and some challenging
on August 4, 2014
I am loving this book for my 5 year old who's entering Kindergarten. After lots of searching, I'm completely satisfied with this book. Features a wide variety of subjects--lots of phonics, counting and number recognition, but I appreciate that it also goes beyond that to also reading comprehension and basic math (adding and subtracting). My daughter feels so confident being able to read the small passages made of sight words and answer questions that are right at her level. Colorful pictures and clear directions make it possible for her to work through this with some to minimal intervention from me. Authors have done a good job incorporating a nice mix of activities so that it doesn't get boring! From coloring to matching, identifying bigger/smaller, and even measuring and time, it covers a lot of material. I also like the "fitness flash" that mixes things up.
on December 25, 2015
This book was recommended to us. It only has one page to do a day and my son wanted to do more. He finished the whole book in less than three weeks. I liked the content, he enjoyed doing it and it was perfect for the stated school range. However I wish there was just MORE content.
on June 15, 2014
This workbook is perfect for helping children retain the basic information learned in kindergarten. It is broken up into 12 five day weeks and each day has a page (front and back) of activities. The exercises are simple and will be a snap for most children entering first grade. If you are looking to challenge and expand your child's knowledge to include first grade material then a first grade workbook would be more appropriate as this book is just a review to prevent loss of knowledge. Good buy overall.
on July 2, 2013
This is one of the best books I have found to help during the summer months. It isn't too hard, yet hard enough to challege the kids. There isn't a lot to do on any given day, and we supplement it with reading. GREAT JOB - will get these again!
on June 15, 2014
I read on Amazon that this was the best selling book of its kind on Amazon's best lists. I am not disappointed. I bought the 1-2 version locally but they were out of the K-1 version so I ordered it here. These books keep skills fresh but are not so challenging that they cause summer frustration. I did buy one level up for my daughter because she is ready for and enjoys more of a challenge. For my son he was fine with his level. We are on day 12 and so far I am impressed. The kids are enjoying the reward stickers and flash cards.
on August 19, 2014
My daughter ended kindergarten with the advice to practice, practice, practice, to prepare for 1st grade.
She seems to enjoy this workbook very much. She seems to be enjoying her daily practice more than I expected, she loves to color and draw, and we are incorporating that into useful practice!
Here she comes 1st grade!

Also, I love the little factoids and exercise notes, at the end of each day.
on June 11, 2015
My kindergartner is working on a page a day during the summer and the activities are very good and keeping her mind fresh. There are stickers to place on each day's worksheet to show completion and a good book list posted at the beginning.