4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice

Published 8 months ago by Bobbie

4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice, June 6, 2013
Amazon Customer (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5 (Paperback)
I'm a mom who is also a public school teacher who is buying this to keep my kiddo's brain engaged this summer. I like that the book has stickers to put on the finished pages, and that the lessons are organized by day. Each day there are 3-4 tasks that cover math and reading in different ways. There is also some work on goal setting, fitness, and health activities. I'll supplement this with some computer (learning) games and typing practice and I'm sure my son will be doing well when he starts back into school.

If your child is behind grade level in reading or math this book might be challenging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all-round schoolwork, November 30, 2013
This review is from: Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5 (Paperback)
The summer before my daughter headed into fourth grade, we made the mistake of not reviewing any schoolwork. With the results of the first set of statewide tests, you could definitely tell she was not ready and we swore we wouldn't let that happen again. This past summer, she did wonderfully on her first set of statewide tests for fifth grade and I'm sure this book is what did it! I had her complete 2 pages each day during summer breakand even though she'd moan & groan for a while, once she started working it, you could tell she enjoyed it. Will definitely purchase the one for 6th grade next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good review, September 25, 2013
sannpiech (de pere, wi United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5 (Paperback)
I get these books every summer for my son. We want to avoid the summer slide that usually happens. The problems are good and each page is just the right amount of problems for one day - usually only takes him 15 minutes or less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, September 18, 2013
This review is from: Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5 (Paperback)
My to my children's chagrin, I always purchase bridge activity books for the summer. This one lived up to my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!, September 16, 2013
This review is from: Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5 (Paperback)
With 4 kids to keep busy and still get in some school work. This workbook offered that and was not too time consuming!! They cover all the subjects and material covered for each grade level!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing setup, November 28, 2013
This review is from: Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5 (Paperback)
My stepson used this over the summer and it was alright but would have been good if all the things inside where just worksheet things instead of requiring other supplies that aren't normal school supplies or activities. I wont buy this brand next year because the setup was kinda confusing. There are 3 sections of 20 days each but it would be good to have a mix of each subject throughout the summer instead of blocks of each.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5 (Paperback)
I wish I had bought this earlier in the Summer. It is a great way to keep students' minds working, and the content is in line with my son's school curricula.

1.0 out of 5 stars Decent Review Book - LOUSY/NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!, June 12, 2014
Arnold R. (Smokie Mountains) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5 (Paperback)
We have used the competitors books in the past (Summer Express) and decided to try this product as it has Science/Social Studies/etc. and so far (only one day in) it seems good though I dont like the answer key pages - the other book had thumbnails with the answers in red (easy to grade), this one has text of the answers streamed in lines (hard to grade!). One thing I dont get is the included "flash cards" - they seem odd in that traditional flash cards have a clue or question on one side and an answer on the other yet these only have a word or equation on each side and dont seem to correspond to any section in the book (I.E. the book doesnt say use X/Y/Z flashcard to do X/Y/Z). Am I missing something about the flash cards? If anyone has a clue I'd love to hear some feedback on them. Again otherwise the book will do what its intended to do which is keep young Johnny up to speed:-)

FOLLOW-UP: OK I wanted to know more about the flash cards and contacted the publishers customer service dept through their website and all I can say is they are right up at the top (or bottom) of my list of the WORST service EVER! They were confused as to which book it was even though I gave them all of the info (including ISBN #) and they kept insisting on an "item #" which isnt shown anywhere on the book - I finally provided them with the item # from their online store and through several more e-mails got them to state they would "look into it" Well here we are several weeks (and more e-mails later) and now they dont respond at all though my read receipts show they are opening the e-mails just not responding! I am going back next year to the Summer Express series since these idiots cant even explain the contents of their own book! Im also changing my rating from 3 to 1 dues to the total lack of service on their part!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5 (Paperback)
I am very happy with the purchase of this book. My daughter is motivated to practice on daily basis. I ordered another one for older child. Fast shipping, great experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars summer help, August 23, 2013
This review is from: Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5 (Paperback)
I used this booklet for summer work for my students. It carefully gives explanations and practice help for concepts students learned or wanted to learn over break. This book reviews 4th grade concepts and introduces 5th grade concepts.

Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5
Summer Bridge Activities, Grades 4 - 5 by Summer Bridge Activities (Paperback - January 2, 2013)
$14.95 $10.55