4.0 out of 5 stars Fits our Needs
Published on April 24, 2011 by A. Bennett

Published on June 4, 2011 by Alissa G.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits our Needs, April 24, 2011
This review is from: Summer Infant Slim and Secure Digital Audio Monitor Dual Receiver (Baby Product)
We just wanted a regular baby monitor...no frills. Just one that works with reliable batteries and clear sound. We like this monitor just fine. I agree with the other reviewers that it does have a fairly bright blue light when it is turned on. At first I thought this was going to bug us...but let's face it, with a three month old we are so exhausted it would take a lot more than a blue light to keep us up. It's slim and portable and provides a very nice nightlight on the base part in our baby's room. If you're not looking for a video monitor, this one does the job just fine.

Update....three months later.
Still love these monitors. As time went on, and we were getting more sleep at night, we did notice the brightness of the blue light. On the monitor we keep in our bedroom, I put a small piece of black duct tape over the part of the monitor that shines the brightest (down at the bottom and across the power button). It doesn't affect the function and diffuses the light a bit. The other monitor we keep in the living room, so the light is not an issue. Overall still pleased with our purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars we have a love hate relationship with this monitor- it needs some re-design, June 4, 2011
We bought this monitor for our newborn son because it was digital and offered a long range- supposedly. At first, I mainly used it for daytime naps and because he is ready to go to bed before us at night. Now he has moved into his own room and we use it all night as well. The blue lights are horrible. The on/off button flashes every few seconds and is extremely bright. The lights to indicate noise (on the edges of units) are bright as well. We use a small fan (set on low) in our baby's room for white noise so these lights are ALWAYS on. Add the large flashing power button and you have a Daddy sleeping in another room and a Mommy sleeping with an eye pillow. (I can still see the blue lights from under the eye pillow and it s a Bucky). Last night we finally put the parent unit in a black sport sock and it did the trick- could hear it but the lights are nearly gone. Would have used black electrical tape but I don't want a gummy baby monitor in a couple of months. We have found that we must have the unit facing us at night as we run a fan in our room as well and its hard to hear the baby over the 12" fan set on low.
The parent unit does beep when the receiver loses power, is turned off, or the parent unit is low on battery which is a good feature. It also beeps when you press the plus or minus button for volume control= super annoying in the middle of the night. Summer Infant would do well to change to a pin-head size power indicator light on the parent units. It would also be great if you could turn noise indicators on and off or at least control volume and light intensity.
The range of this unit is so-so. Our house is 3000 sq ft. and reception inside is ok. Outside is a different story. Our yard is not very large and coverage is so spotty I have to do a cell phone dance to get it to work. Good thing we run a fan in baby's room or I wouldn't know the coverage had shorted out half the time as the unit doesn't always beep to indicate loss of connection when the connection is lost- often quite delayed. Also I have to frequently go into baby's room and fiddle with the power cord to the receiver so our baby doesn't sound like a robot. All these issues were evident by the 2nd month of use as we had finally used it enough to find the bugs. We threw away the product packaging or we would have returned it. We might buy just another one but are concerned it will have the same issues with range, sound and robot-like voice overs. If so, we will return it. Although I'm not sure of a better choice after reading 100s of reviews on Amazon. I hope the companies will have parents test these products before selling them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Baby Monitor, April 26, 2011
This monitor provides crystal clear reception. I can even hear when my son "sighs". We purchased this for our son who has special needs and is now 11. We need to be able to hear him if he has any breathing issues and this is by far the best monitor I've used.

The transmitter is plugged in, in his room.
The receiver can be plugged in OR runs on battery. If the transmitter in his room is turned off, OR if the power goes out, as long as there is a battery in the receiver, it will start beeping to let me know it is not receiving a signal.

I've read some reviews that say the blue light on the receiver is very bright. It is a bit bright, but I just don't put it on my night stand. Instead I simply place it on the floor and "point" the lights under the bed.

For any parents who may have a hard time hearing, the lights are a very clear signal that something is going on in the room with the transmitter.

A simple design, and it works perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW...this blue light WILL NOT cause Macular Degeneration, December 5, 2011
I love people. Every review I read here says something boring about how bright the blue monitor lights are. Seriously, people? Come on. At best, these lights are as bright as the single blue power indicator on my electric toothbrush; hardly even worth noting. Believe me, if this light was disruptive and causing any extra sleep loss, I wouldn't be using it. Period. I can only imagine neurotic first time parents in their beds at night leering in terror at this almost non-existent blue light. If you aren't so exhausted when you hit your pillow in the rare times that you have an opportunity to sleep, then you're doing something wrong during the day.

Anyway, the monitor works totally fine. You can hear your baby just fine.

Come on, guys...let's hold it together. We have at least 18 more years of fretting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, May 30, 2013
We received this monitor as a gift before our son was born, and I'm glad we did because as a first-time parent, the most nerve-wracking thing is when you have to leave the baby in his crib. This monitor does have the issue of overly sensitive lights (they are on to some extent all the time) but it has excellent range and has kept chugging along for us and our boy will be 2 in a few months. If the lights bug you, put it somewhere facing the wall. I'm an annoyingly light sleeper and I've made it work. Important tip for new parents: Don't get into the habit of going in to check on your baby every time he cries! Neither one of you will ever sleep. Just turn the monitor off for 10 minutes and then check again, as long as your baby is at least 4 months old, that is. When trying to get our son to sleep through the night, we even let him cry for up to 30 minutes, but after that he would sleep. I'm not saying that it didn't completely suck to know he was crying, but at least he sleeps through the night! In short, don't blow a bunch of money on a non-essential thing like a monitor. Believe it or not, your baby will grow up fine (probably better) without you seeing his every move on video.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, January 20, 2012
We've been using this monitor for 5 months now. I am very disappointed.

Pros:

Affordable
Easy to hear - pretty loud
When the handheld unit loses it's connection to the base unit (the base is unplugged), it blinks and beeps, letting you know even though the hand unit is on, you have lost your connection to the base.
I like that it lights up when noise is made - the more it lights up the louder the sound.

Cons:
Sound quality sucks; very scratchy & hissy.
Plug is not grounded. You are able to plug it into an outlet the wrong direction.
Battery life is fairly short, possibly reduced from use.
When the handheld unit is dying, it blinks but does not make noise. Dies without a sound. (This was the big one for me. It needs to make a final "turning off now" noise to alert you that it has died.)
Easy to bump the power off if you lean on something.

I usually like Summer Infant products but this one was a failure in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still using after two years, March 14, 2014
I have had a great experience with this monitor. We kept one receiver in our bedroom, and one in the living room downstairs. We have a fairly small house and have not had to move around any peices, so no comment on the battery life (although the few times I have unplugged them, they lasted for the length I needed.)
We also were gifted a fancy-pants video monitor that is now tucked away in a drawer somewhere. The static and interference on that one drove us crazy.
I really like:
- The sound. You can hear a pin drop (if you want) or you can be a few rooms away and with the volume way up, hear it fine.
- The light indicator. If you DONT want to hear a pin (or an elephant drop) the light indicator is perfect.
- Reliability. Still going strong after two + years

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, blue light and all!, February 20, 2014
This monitor works great! We only use it in our home, so we haven't tested out the long distances. But it is great in our home. There were a lot of complaints in other reviews about how the blue light is too bright on the receiver part. This hasn't bothered us. It is quite bright, but then we don't have to turn on a light to find our way out of our room.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible monitor, April 10, 2013
Sound is terrible with lots of static. Manual says if there is too much to move the parent unit closer to the baby monitor. What a joke. I want a monitor that I can use all over the house and patio. Am returning unit as fast as I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor!, March 15, 2013
I love this baby monitor. We recently replaced an older monitor that had constant static issues with this Summer model, and I can't say enough good things about it. 1) It is digital and automatically selects the clearest channel. We have almost never heard static over this monitor and the automatic channel selection means you don't have to fiddle with buttons on both the monitor and receiver to align the channels. This does however make the monitor cut out for ~5 sec. when it does need to scan the channels. 2) The volume buttons beep when you push them. Some people may not like this, but I love it since the background on the monitor is so quiet, it allows me to know for sure that I have adjusted the volume up or down as I want. Also, since I carry the monitor around on my pants alot, it allows me to verify if I accidently adjust the volume as I bump into something. 3) The battery lasts all day and there is a convenient clip for carrying the monitor with you around the house. 4) It has lights equivalent to the sound output, so if you're doing a noisy task such as vacumming, you can still be sure to know if baby is making any noise.

Some other reviewers have complained about the bright blue lights. In general, I don't find them to be annoying or overly bright, the same with the beep to turn on/off or adjust volume. These features are more helpful to me than anything. The volume setting is "remembered" every time you turn it on & off. This may not seem like a big deal, but it allows me to turn the monitor off in the middle of the night when I get up with the baby and to turn it back on, knowing it is at an appropriate volume (loud enough to wake me, not so loud as to scare me awake). This is a wonderful feature for not waking anyone else in the room, and something our old monitor did not allow for.

Rate and Discover Movies