5.0 out of 5 stars Super clear audio
We got this monitor because we wanted something simple that provided clear audio from our baby's room. I hate laying awake at night, listening to static and white noise. This monitor worked wonderfully for us.
Pros:
-Crystal clear audio with very little white noise or static
-Simple to use
-Affordable
-Lights that show noise level on the slides...
Published 22 months ago by DClark12

2.0 out of 5 stars A good monitor with one annoying flaw
I've purchased this exact monitor 3 times and all 3 have the same super annoying problem. I'll explain.

Published 22 months ago by Meghan M Wells

2.0 out of 5 stars A good monitor with one annoying flaw, January 17, 2013
This review is from: Summer Infant Slim&Secure Digital Audio Monitor (Baby Product)

First of all, this monitor has the best (clearest) sound of any digital audio monitor I've tried (and I've done the legwork) and it's a great price, which is why I kept giving it another shot. However, it's obvious that the design has a major flaw that needs addressing, so I won't be purchasing it again after this one gives out, which it assuredly will.

The problem is that that wall charger eventually stops connecting to the parent unit and therefore doesn't charge it. However, you can't tell that it's not connected, so it will inevitably run out of batteries in the middle of the night and then you have to wake up and spend 30 minutes trying to get the thing to connect. Again, all 3 of the monitors I've purchased have this exact problem, so it's not a fluke. Typically it will work perfectly for about 3-4 months and then the charger problem starts. It's a shame, because it would be a perfect monitor if not for this problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super clear audio, January 14, 2013
Pros:
-Crystal clear audio with very little white noise or static
-Simple to use
-Affordable
-Lights that show noise level on the slides of the parent receiver
-Able to mute all audio but still use lights to determine noise level
-Baby transmitter has a nice blue glow at night very similar to a night light
-Warning beeps when you go out of range or when the battery on the parent receiver is low.
-Easy to adjust volume buttons right on the front of the parent receiver

Cons:
-Power button on the parent unit takes a lot longer than you think it should to turn on. This doesn't affect how it works; it's just kind of annoying. You have to hold it for several seconds before it will turn on or off.
-The parent receiver also has the blue lights that can be annoying at night. My husband puts it on his nightstand and then turns it towards the wall. This eliminates the glare from the lights, but we can still hear the baby.
-Battery could be better. It does last quite a while, but not the entire night. We usually just plug it in every night and then use it with battery during the day. (Maybe runs about 5-6 hours on battery only).
-Summer Infant customer service has not been the best when I have called them with questions. I've never had a problem with this monitor, but I have called about other products and they're not terribly helpful.

Overall, we've been very pleased and I would recommend this to others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two tries - never worked right, but Summer Infant made good, July 2, 2012
We had a lot of trouble with this product working correctly inside our house, despite the positive reviews that I found on many websites. The first monitor that I purchased buzzed incessantly for 4 months, and my husband insisted it was not supposed to do that and I should contact Summer Infant to complain. I did, and, after spending an additional $10.79 to return the product insured UPS, I received the replacement monitor. The second monitor, at first, worked well with none of the background buzzing noise that we had with the first monitor. But after about a week or so of use, we found that it cut in-and-out of reception regardless of how close or far we were from the base station, and we cannot even go into the yard without it cutting out of reception and signaling that it is out of range (we are not even 30 feet from the base station).
We contacted customer service a number of times via email and telephone, and all we got was more frustrated, especially since they do not reimburse return shipping, even if it is a manufacturing defect and not a damaged item. Finally, I typed up an old-fashioned snail mail letter addressed to the CEO, and I received a call back within 5 days of sending it - the company felt that there must have been a specific interference issue with my residence, and they upgraded me to a video monitor free of charge. The video monitor - the Slim & Secure Digital Handheld Color Video Monitor - works great, and we would highly recommend this one (although we would never have invested in this to begin with since it costs 4x the amount we paid for the original audio monitor). In the end - more than 6 months after our son was born - we are now satisfied with our monitor, but it took a long time to get here, and we still would never recommend the audio version of this monitor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Monitor for the price, October 26, 2013
We got this baby monitor as a baby shower gift back in 2011. It has honestly been a pretty darn good monitor for the $40 price. We've been using it for almost 2 years, and I think it has hit the end of it's life. The end that's in her room doesn't want to stay on anymore, so in the middle of the night, our end starts beeping because the two aren't communicating. When we go in her room to try to turn ti back on, it just doesn't want to stay on. Some other people mentioned connection issues, and maybe that's the trouble we're having now. But I really can't complain...if we had spent $100 on a monitor, I might be a little more upset when it went out after 2 years. But I can afford to buy another $30-40 one and I really see no issue with it.

Some of the things I have loved about this monitor are the fact that it lights up with noise. Some people complain that it is too bright, but the sides don't light up unless she is making noise, so it doesn't bother us.

It did come in handy at about the 6 month point when we went through the crying it out phase. We would put her to bed, and she's cry for 5-10 minutes. We could turn the monitor completely down, but still see it lighting up until she stopped. Then once the lights stopped, we turned the volume back up. Obviously we weren't to keep the volume turned down all night when we were asleep.

This monitor may not have been perfect, but we honestly really liked it for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor, March 14, 2014
We have had one of these for 2 years. It has been all over the house, all over the yard, and used every night. It finally failed at the connector after 2 years. I am buying a second one to use for our new baby. Great audio monitor if you need something simple and durable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, March 5, 2014
This monitor is exactly what I needed. My child sleeps with a fan on for white noise. I needed something that would pick up her voice above the sound of the fan. This monitor does just that. I do hear the steady hum of the fan through the monitor (which is to be expected) but I can hear her making even the slightest noise. Most monitors aren't sensitive enough to do that. The volume can go from extremely quiet to very loud. A lot of newer monitors don't get loud enough. I need it to get loud so that I can hear her when I'm doing dishes, taking a shower, even running the vacuum. The range is great too. I can run next door to borrow something (taking the monitor with me) and the sound is great (we have 90 ft. wide lots too). The base (child unit) has a soft blue glow, which acts as a very soft night light. The parent unit also has a soft blue glow that flickers when noise is made. Since there is a fan running, the light is constantly flickering. It does not bother me at all. I can't see it when my eyes are closed so it doesn't prevent me from sleeping. Even if it did, all you have to do is face it away from you. The sound is so good, you still hear it no problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor, February 27, 2014
I couldn't be happier with this monitor. Battery lasts nice and long and the lights can alert you of noise level even if you have it turned down.
Best thing about it is that it looks nice. Super compact size.

4.0 out of 5 stars does the job 100%, February 16, 2014
Works good! Never noticed static. I like the way they look. Def recommend. I did a lot of research before I picked this one & I am most pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Performs as expected, February 8, 2014
This was purchased as a second baby monitor to supplement a pricier video monitor. This performs perfectly as a no-frills baby monitor. I would buy this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what we were looking for, January 28, 2014
It's a no-frills baby monitor that lets me hear my baby no matter where I am in the house or in the front or backyard. It's small and tough, so it travels easily for holidays. There is a little bit of static, but if you keep the volume turned pretty far down and set the monitor a few feet away from you, it isn't bothersome.

Summer Infant Slim&Secure Digital Audio Monitor