Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

on September 10, 2010
Bought this gate to cover a 9 foot span. Installation and set up was fairly easy, with the help of a laser level to keep everything straight. Operation of the gate is fairly easy, unless your hands are full. My very adventurous and strong 8 month old twins are able to easily bend and deform the whole structure though. I had to drill holes through the plastic feet and anchor the gate into the floor to make it strong enough to stay in place.
33 comments45 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2010
I ordered this item because I have an 11 foot opening I wanted to close off to create a safe play area for my son (now 7 months). At the time, it was the only item I could find for such a large opening and it was a great price (plus free shipping to Hawaii). It took awhile to arrive, and when it did one of the plastic hinges was broken (snapped in two). I called Summer Infant and they sent me a replacement gate and a shipping label to return the broken one. I'm so glad I didn't send back the broken gate before I opened the new one. Again, one of the plastic hinges was broken. Luckily, the first gate I got had a broken door hinge, and the second one had a broken side panel hinge. I was able to take functional pieces from the 2 packages and make one functioning gate (whew!). As with other reviews I've read, just buy the hardware that's best for your home. Even though I intended to have the gate span an eleven foot opening, I later decided to install it in a slightly wider part of the opening that is twelve feet. The product is advertised to fit up to 12 feet but I could NOT get that gate to stretch out to 12 feet to save my life! My husband is deployed so unfortunately it was just me by myself getting this thing installed. Without a second person available to help me pull this gate as tight as possible, the gate was still at least 4 inches too short. I finally gave up and installed the gate across the 11 foot opening.

It's not very sturdy. Since I have it stretched out to 11 feet, every time I open the gate it wobbles back and forth. It's working for now with my son who will crawl up to it and bang on it, but I have a feeling that once he's walking it won't stand a chance. We'll see! I also have cats that really like to try to scratch it.

BUT at least Summer Infant customer service was helpful and sent me a new gate with very few questions asked. But they really shouldn't pack the gate with all 3 panels connected at the hinges, that's probably the main reason the hinges are breaking so easily.
11 comment24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2011
I purchased this gate to baracade my wide screen TV and stand off from my son who is into everything. It doesn't block the TV in any way and still looks nicer than some of the cheap gates that I have seen. The best part is that it is adjustable so it fit in the large area that we needed to block off.

It was pretty easy to install, the only downfall was that the wall anchors were quite small so I used larger ones, but this was something that was easily fixed. Plus, you can unhinge the gate and remove it for vacuuming the carpet and cleaning when you need to. I highly recommend spending a little more money to get a quality product. Love it!!
on October 24, 2010
It is very hard to find gates this big. I love that these are collapsible or expendable to make it fit anywhere. I bought two and mounted one end of each to the wall to make a 12 x 12 blockage in the corner. That way he has LOTS of space that I can use as the baby area. This way I don't have to baby proof the rest of my house (yet). The setup is very easy, and took about an hour to mount two to the wall and connect it in the middle together. My son hangs all over it, and we have no problems because it is very sturdy. It is easily changed from wall mount to freestanding as well. When I travel I take it with me and use it as a pen. Works great. It folds to flat for easy storage or traveling. These are a great purchase and well worth the money.
44 comments21 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2013
We really didn't want to have to drill into our wall, so we bought two of these and made a big rectangle up against the wall in our living room. It's great because even though it isn't permanently attached to the wall, it's sturdy and won't fall over. Also, it's not bad looking at all. I also like the fact that since it's not anchored into our wall, we can move and use outside as well if we decided to do so.
on January 10, 2012
I would give it 5 stars but one of the hinges came with a tiny broken piece. Other than that, I have no problem with it. At least no major problems. I like that it's mesh and my son won't hurt himself if he falls. He also can't climb it or try to. He's only 10 months but he's a real trickster so this gate works well.
review image review image
on October 3, 2013
This gate is attractive and fits the large opening between our dining room and living room and the other large expanse we had in the house. We did not use the screws that came with the gates as they were not long enough. We bought longer wood screws to make the gate sturdier and ensure the screw made it into the stud.
on February 15, 2015
Not to hard to install love it it made a room a playroom with this for us
review image
on July 14, 2012
The gate itself is nice, however after 15 months it broke. It makes sense after 15 months of kids trying to circumvent the gate parts of it gave out. The problem is when contacted customer service to PURCHASE a replacement part so we could keep using the gate (I didn't ask for them to replace it).We paid $150 at the time and I really don't believe that 15 month should be the lifecycle of an expensive gate. The response was sorry for the inconvenience but since you are outside of the 12 month warranty there is nothing we can do for you and we do not sell replacements parts. You will need to purchase a new gate.

So if you are looking for a gate and you think you might need it for more than 12 months look elsewhere.
0Comment12 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2012
I needed this gate for an area that was 11 feet 8 inches wide. I made sure to measure twice. I thought this gate would be perfect because it says it fits an area up to 12 feet wide. I anchored one side to the wall and when I went to go attach the other end to the other wall it was short by about 2 inches. In the middle of trying to attach it to other wall my 12 month old twin boys were playing and pushed on the gate and the side I had already attached ripped out of the wall. I had it attached using the wall anchors. Even if this gate would have been long enough I would have returned it since it was so easy for them to rip out of the wall. It just didn't seem sturdy enough to hold up to my boys. The only good thing I have to say is that Amazon was great about me returning it. They refunded my money within 2 days including the shipping costs.