Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: All Summer Long (Mono & Stereo Remasters)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 14, 2012
All Summer Long is one of the best of the early Beach Boys albums. Very few of their albums were 100% good, and during this period that can be blamed largely on the ridiculous contract they were under, a contract that required 10 albums in 3 years. Under that kind of pressure it is a wonder that this album (and the even better follow-ups - Today and Summer Days) was as good as it is. But even though there is obvious filler on this album, the filler actually seems purposeful. And it's pleasant. And it's over quickly. And the great songs (the title track, I Get Around, Hushabye, Wendy, Girls on the Beach, Don't Back Down) are among the best the group ever did.
The big positive for this release is that it finally presents for the first time on CD Brian Wilson's original mono mix for the album (the way I first heard it back in 1964). Previous releases used the stereo mix albeit with I Get Around, Our Favorite Recording Sessions, and the title track in mono. Here you get first the mono album, followed by the album in mostly the original stereo (more on that below). The mono mix is clearly superior with much more oomph and great balance, whereas certain instruments in the stereo mix often stick out sounding tacked onto everything else (which they probably were, plus only the stereo has Mike Love's infamous cough during the organ break of Wendy). One great difference with the mono is the ending of Don't Back Down in which the instruments continue playing (they suddenly stop on the stereo) and the fade-out is about 12 seconds longer. Best of all, as with the previous two-fer packages, the disc has been remastered using the HDCD (24 bit) system without limiting or compression, so while the sound quality is not better than the more recently available version, it also is not worse.
The stereo version contains the original 1964 stereo mixes except on three songs. The title track's stereo mix was done more recently and was first heard on the 2006 compilation "The Warmth of the Sun." The stereo mix for I Get Around is listed in the liner notes as a "stereo extraction mix." I am not totally sure what this means but I am guessing the original multitrack tape for the song is lost, and thus someone used modern computer tools to isolate and separate instruments and voices on the original mono mix and thus create a stereo mix from that. This has been done on some songs on the other 2012 reissues (including Help Me Rhonda and Good Vibrations) as well. The results frankly are not impressive, and at any rate you cannot go wrong with the original mono mix. In the stereo portion of the album, Our Favorite Recordings Sessions is again presented in mono. These 3 songs did not receive stereo mixes in 1964 and the original stereo vinyl album had these three in Duophonic aka fake stereo.
One major complaint I must make on this is the lack of liner notes. No essays, no photos, no recording dates, no comments on the remastering process (other than that it is HDCD), no explanations as to what is a stereo extraction mix. Just a list of songs with songwriting credits, and a bit of information as to who produced the mixes. Also there is plenty of room on this CD for bonus tracks.
on November 8, 2012
ALL SUMMER LONG, The Beach Boys' sixth Capitol album, was released in the summer of 1964, at the height of Beatlemania. It is an excellent set with classics such as "I Get Around" (the group's first #1 single), the title track, "Wendy," "The Girls On The Beach," "Don't Back Down," and more. Originally issued on CD as a "two-fer" (Little Deuce Coupe / All Summer Long) in 1990, then reissued as an individual (mostly) stereo CD in 1994, and then reissued again as a "two-fer" in both 1997 (Canadian import) and in the USA (remastered) in 2001, this new version contains both the original mono and stereo mixes of the album. "I Get Around" appears in stereo for the first time, while the title track (which appeared in mono on the previous CD issues) is the stereo mix from the 2007 compilation The Warmth of the Sun. The novelty track "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" is in mono twice, but since that was mostly a spoken-word track, it would not have made sense to make a stereo mix. This CD is worth owning for the mono and stereo mixes, but keep the "two-fer," if you have it, for the bonus tracks.

HISTORICAL NOTE: Save for The Beach Boys Christmas Album and Beach Boys Concert, this was the last Beach Boys album to be issued in true stereo until 1968's Friends. Brian Wilson preferred mono, and refused to provide Capitol with stereo mixes from this point forward.
on July 22, 2013
The harmony is what it's all about and right from the beginning, they were perfection. I like this CD also because you can hear it in mono, and then stereo. To be honest, I prefer mono. You can hear every single harmonized note. In stereo, they blend in the instruments more and the harmony is sometimes distorted. I remember listening to this on vinyl on an album and now you can do the same with this CD.
on October 14, 2012
After listening to this CD track by track and comparing it to the 2001 version, I have to say the remastering on this new one is truly not as good, unfortunately. My system decodes the HDCD processing (which is present on both editions), so I'm theoretically getting the full listening experience. The mono recordings (only tracks one and two on the original version, as the rest of the album was originally presented in stereo) sound more present, clear and punchy on the older, 2001 CD; they sound less focused and generally weak on the newer version of this CD. Perhaps the tapes have deteriorated too much at this point for them to yield decent results, as the same engineer worked on both versions of these and it's unlikely his fault.

On the other hand, the two new tracks presented in 'stereo' are a slight improvement over the mono presentation. I say 'stereo' because the engineers did what they could, using a process they're calling digital extraction, with the tapes they had to work with. Not great, but an improvement nonetheless. The artwork, using a mini-LP Japanese format, is actually very nice.

I also A/B'd Smiley Smile and Summer Days/Summer Nights, and these were more worthy of being purchased. See their reviews here if you're interested, hope this helps!
on August 22, 2015
I went for a 2 hour drive with 3 friends to q seminar and we listened to this album and we all sang and knew all the words. it lifted us up and made us smile and laugh. A memorable day due to great fun playful heart felt music.
on September 28, 2014
I Purchased the album when it was first released.
And I played the hell out of it
I am 100% satisfied with the re mastering of both mono and stero
No need to rate each song, the music flows, and I feel 14 again
Original copies of the CAPITOL Records album ALL SUMMER LONG (T/ST-2110) are on their black w/rainbow edge label. For stereo versions, the first two tracks are reprocessed from mono; "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" is mono; the balance are true stereo.

Released 7/13/64, it's an RIAA Certified Gold Record. Charting singles: "I Get Around" (#1), "Little Honda" (#65) and "Wendy" (#44).

TRIVIA
First pressing labels have the song "Don't Back Down" misidentifed as "Don't Break Down."
It was during production of this LP that the group fired their controi freak manager, Murry Wilson (dad of Brian, Carl and Dennis).
Listen closely and you'll hear someone cough during the organ break on "Wendy."
"Girls On the Beach" jogs between two keys, doing so in mid-lyric line.
The instrumental "Carl's Big Chance" was co-written with Brian.
"Favorite Sessions" is a montage of failed takes and studio chatter.
"All Summer Long" is used in the credit scroll of AMERICAN GRAFFITI (1973).

SIDE ONE

[2:00] Our Favorite Recording Sessions
[1:50] Don't Back Down

TOTAL TIME: 24:44

TRIVIA
Listen closely and you'll hear someone cough during the organ break on "Wendy."
"Girls On the Beach" jogs between two keys, doing so in mid-lyric line.
The instrumental "Carl's Big Chance" was co-written with Brian.
"Favorite Sessions" is a montage of failed takes and studio chatter.
"All Summer Long" is used in the credit scroll of AMERICAN GRAFFITI (1973).

SIDE ONE

[1:50] Drive-In
[2:00] Our Favorite Recording Sessions
[1:50] Don't Back Down

TOTAL TIME: 24:44
55 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2014
This in my opinion was Brian Wilson's first major work and first major stride towards a creative peak that would reach it's pinnacle with Pet Sounds and Smile. The only throwaway track here might be Carl's Big Chance. Other than that, All Summer Long is all killer, no filler kiddies!
on January 18, 2013
I agree with a previous reviewer: the remastering job on this release is subpar. While I would give All Summer Long four stars based on the music, I would give it one star for the somewhat suppressed and muddy sound. I have listened to the other remastered albums and they all sound good to very good. Too bad, since this is one of my favorite BB albums.