Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

100%
Format: Paperback|Change

on April 22, 2007
Reading this book is like slipping back to one's childhood when the long summer days seemed to go on forever and the endless possibilities of life were cut short by the screams of your mother calling you to dinner as the sun slowly fell behind the tall green trees swaying in the gentle warm breezes of an evening in July. Spend some time with this book and you'll be transported back in time without wasting one of your genie's three wishes.
on April 9, 2007
Title sums it up. The book captures the essence of summer. Very well written and chock-full of incredibly useful information. We have already done about half the activities, cooking and playing our way through a couple of weekends. We applaud the author and anxiously await her next book!

Kudos!
on June 27, 2009
Summer: A User's Guide ushers in that summertime feeling even if you're reading it on a cold, dark winter evening or a rainy afternoon. Open it up and prepare to be transported to those lazy, sunny days of childhood stretching out endlessly before the start of the new school year or other reentry into the real world.

Ostensibly a reference book filled with how-to instruction, Summer can also be read just for the fun of it. It's that good.

The book is divided into several broad sections - the summer house and garden, the great outdoors, games indoors and out, the summer table, for kids, and how to fix or cure just about anything. Some entries, for example "how to light charcoal", are eminently practical. Others, such as "the hoodie", simply add to the summertime imagery, building an idyllic lexicon of languid laziness.

Along the way the reader learns about the perseid meteor shower, the shucking of clams and oysters, how to lure butterflies to the garden, and what to do with all those sea shells that inevitably pile up after a summertime of beachcombing.

Suzanne Brown, who is a design consultant when not on summer holidays, has produced a beautiful and very satisfying book. Much of its charm comes from the exceptional photography of Tara Shriner, whose sensibility of summer dovetails perfectly with the author's.

Enjoy!
on August 16, 2009
Whether you find yourself at a cabin or the beach, this "guide to summer" is all you need for a perfect summer. Whether you need to know how to pack for the cabin, how to prep for the beach, or a short course in how to fly a kite, it has everything you need to remember why we all love summer (and gives you easy-to-follow directions on everything)! It is the ONLY book in our house that I rotate in when it is summer to read and enjoy... and we have hundreds (if not thousands) of books in our house! Don't miss this... and buy a few copies to give as the perfect summer hostess gift.

Cheers!

PS- My only disappointment is that she doesn't have other editions available (fall and winter especially seem to have some promising ideas!)...
on June 26, 2007
This book has so much to offer SO many people. It's got information on just about everything that's needed for summer fun. Games for kids to play & HOW to play them. Recipes that will make a hit with your company. There's many gift items to make to bring along when you're visiting friends & they're easy to make too. There's even a section on how to take stains out. This book is a MUST HAVE, not only for summer, but the whole year through.
on May 29, 2009
This is a great book for most everyone Boy scouts, Girl scouts, campers, families with kids or without for that matter. A book full of information ,colorful pictures, things to do a great learning book.
I am putting this in our camper. My daughter called me and told me to get it said I would love it shes right. Very nice book this one is a keeper!
It gets 5 stars from me. If you have kids this will make a great learning tool. Try it!
on February 22, 2009
I bought this book for myself and was so impressed with it that I then bought four copies for my parents to have available for guests and renters at their lake and ocean cottages in Maine. It has beautiful photos, complete guidance for fun activities, recipes, games, tidbits of history and so much more. I am looking forward to summer as I never have before, thanks to this book's inspiration!
on July 4, 2009
This book is a wonderful help. There is so much packed into this book. It helps with crafts and trips to do with children. it helps with decor of a summer cabin and it helps with what to eat in the way of recipes. It is a fun book to have.
on June 26, 2007
Great Book! Great presentation and style. Nice tone and helpful. I truly believe the author loves summer and wants to share her experience with all of us. Highly recommended.
on April 29, 2010
Excellent service. I received this item in a very timely manner, quicker than I expected. It was in new condition.