Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 11, 2008 4:04:15 PM PDT
I've coined a new household phrase for my kids -- their summer has officially been unplugged! Is anyone interested in a discussion about getting our children unplugged and outdoors along with successes/failures?

My kids are 12 (girl) and 8 (boy), and summer vacation starts on Friday.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2008 9:35:21 PM PDT
Way to go. Unfortunately today's society doesn't allow the same access to outdoor education as it used to. In the small town area I grew up in everyone looked out for each other, and you knew that anyone you ran into knew you and knew your parents. We weren't afraid of adults who showed an interest in us for the reasons todays children are. We were afraid they'd tell dad what we were up to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2008 3:03:43 PM PDT
lscollison says:
Good for you -- how's it going so far?

Times have changed, and I think you might have to accompany the kids, at least at first, into the great outdoors. As a mother and grandmother, I have to remind myself not to be afraid of a little dirt or a little water. I used to be a tomboy myself, but when you're the one washing the clothes, you tend to be a little more stiffling, so break out of the mold.

Take your lunch or dinner outside. Picnics are a pretty easy way to go.

Camping is also relatively inexpensive, and can include everything from backyard pajama parties to car-camping to backpack wilderness camping.

Find a project, such as building a fort in the woods, or a tree house, or a garden.

Become bird-watchers, spider-hunters, wildflower experts, whatever strikes your fancy. Get a field book and make notes, take photos, draw sketchings. Go to the library or bookstore for more information.

And as a sailor I must recommend water. If you cannot afford to go boating, you can make boats and float them on a pond, stream, or puddle. In a pinch you can launch them down the gutter alongside the curb after a summer shower, or when the neighbor is washing his car...

Have an adventurous summer!

Posted on May 9, 2009 6:23:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2009 6:28:36 PM PDT
Neanderthal says:
Many times I will give my kids a break from homework if they promise me that they will go home and play outside. Just go out,run around, make up games and...no organized sports ! Before they leave for the summer I ask them to leave the TV and the computer alone. I encourage them to read -books,comic books,newspapers, cereal boxes- ANYTHING, and take it outside under a nice shady tree that you can look up into or even climb !
Please, let kids get a little closer to nature, its other creatures, and our only home planet.
Teacher
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jun 11, 2008
Latest post:  May 9, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder
Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv (Hardcover - April 15, 2005)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (96)