Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 18, 2010
This short children's picture book adaptation of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House in the Big Woods perfectly captures the feel of a summer day for a little girl living rurally in the mid-1800s. The text would be appropriate for a child to read on their own at a 3rd or 4th grade level. It's a smooth read aloud to those of younger ages.

We read about and see Laura and Mary playing with friends (including tree climbing), visiting a neighbor and getting cookies, helping with the dishes, etc. So, there is a sense in which the reader is struck by similarities with the modern child. But, of course, we also are struck by the differences as they eat honey Pa has gathered and watch Ma make cheese, and of course, dress differently. These similarities and differences juxtaposed together are captivating.

The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous, and just the style I prefer. They are very rich and vibrant and imbue an idyllic charm to Laura's summer day in the Big Woods. However, I do have a bit of a complaint, in that I wish they had been just a bit more realistic. For one thing, Laura and Mary sport haircuts that are about halfway between chin and shoulder. Their hair would have been longer, as it would have been uncut. Also, they sport short-sleeved dresses, and I know adult women would wear long-sleeves even in summer, but there is a chance that didn't apply to children. Still, in the grand scheme of things, these are relatively minor complaints.

My three girls, ages 7, 5, and 3, enjoyed reading this book, and the older two have flipped through it quite a bit on their own. Of course, they've already heard many of the Little House books as I've read them aloud, but they still enjoy these short stories and the illustrations. I would definitely recommend this book to those with children in the 3-8 year-old range, especially girls. I will be looking into other titles in this series.
on August 23, 2014
My four year old daughter is just getting to know Laura through these books. She brings this particular story to me more than any of the others. It is so fun to read them to her. I am looking forward to starting her on the classic novels once she is a bit older.
on December 31, 2014
This is a nice way to present a chapter of Little House in the Big Woods - less reading and more pictures. It is good for readers who are interested in the series but not ready to read a chapter book, or to use as an introduction or summary of the chapter. I am very satisfied with the book!
on November 24, 2013
I bought this as a gift because we have the Winter in the Big Woods. This is a perfect introduction into the world of Laura and her family. My kids love having these read to them and now are asking (and enjoying) having the full books read to them. Wonderful series!
on September 17, 2014
I have really enjoyed reading these "First Little House books" and reading them outloud to my 2 year old granddaughter. Was happy to find them and excited that we wouldn't have to wait until she was 'older' to expose her to the Ingallas families. Same thing for my teenage special needs son. He loves them just as much as my granddaughter. Simple but yet good. The illustrations are GREAT! And very similar to the illustrations in the novels so that is a nice thing as well
on January 27, 2009
I picked this up at a book swap and I'm back here to buy more books in the series. My four year old son loves this book. The illustrations are beautiful and the language is very good for a child's picture book. But what really impressed me was when my son saved half of one of his cookies, like Laura and Mary do in the story, for his dad to enjoy after work. As a parent I place a high value on any book that encourages my children to grow in virtue.
on November 24, 2012
This oversized book is perfect for young readers and listeners a like ! The illustrations are beautiful. My two daughters love it!
on July 24, 2011
This is a great book. The pictures are beautiful and the story is well written. My 4 year old daughter really enjoys the book. It is just the right length for a bedtime story. The other books in the series are also great.
on June 21, 2015
Very good adaptation for a developmentally delayed student. Love the iilustrations.
on March 9, 2007
If you like Little House on the Prairie you will really like this series. The books are simply written with a wholesome story about how life was a long time ago. The illustrator is magnificent. The pictures are colorful and have nice detail.