4.0 out of 5 stars Better than my easy chair...
Hi,

NOTE: There is a one star review here and you need to check out its COMMENTS and review the pictures before making any decisions based on that review.

Published on November 8, 2011 by Mark P

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfy! Minor Design Flaws to Fix
Published 9 months ago by Andrew Mullis

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than my easy chair..., November 8, 2011
Hi,

CONSLUSION: ANY stand like this COULD fail, especially if abused or bounced on as a means to try to adjust it around a tree etc. The fact remains for ANY AND ALL STANDS "IF YOU DON'T USE A SAFTY HARNESS GOING UP AND DOWN AND WHILE IN THE STAND, EXCPECT SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH IN THE EVENT OF A FAILURE OR FALL!" ....if you do fall and get hurt cause you did not use the harness then don't blame the manufacturer, they TOLD YOU SO BEFORE HAND! The RISK and RESPONSIBILITY IS YOURS!

I'm 5'11" and 180 pounds. This is a very good stand. It's light weight and came ready to use out of the box. It is VERY comfortable and quiet. I have used foot straps and they don't compare to the new plastic stirrups. The cables have a fool proof lock that does not require pins that you fumble around with in the dark. However, it takes a few practice runs to lean how to push the cables in with ease.

The kicker here is I have used the pin type and while using it I realized that it was possible to insert the pin and miss the cable loop!!! This could make you think it was secure and with only pin to cable friction (instead of pin through cable loop) holding it in place it could allow some assent before the cable pulled loose resulting in a fall! Try and get the pins to line up in the dark and you increase the chances of failure even more! Have a couple beers for breakfast (like some bone heads do) and forget it! YIKES! I don't like pin in cable loops types!

I have the foot rest on mine, and I'll say that I did not think it would make any real difference, but it really does allow you to kick your feet up a bit and I sat without using the foot rest for 3 hrs and then switched to foot rest and I was markedly more comfortable in and already super comfy stand.

CONS: The tubes that the cables go into need have a plastic insert so the sharp edge does not cut and tear the cable coatings. Put them in Summit they will cost you nil and protect my cables. Thanks.

The finish is not super durable (do you know of ANY painted aluminum that holds up well?)

It's a bit bulky but it carries ok even in moderate brush walks. They have a collapsible version that would be more compact but I ended up with this one.

The carry straps could be padded. If you are doing a long trek, it could get a bit uncomfortable due to non-padded straps. If you're over 40, pads will make treks more enjoyable, especially if you carry a pack as well.

NOTES / Suggestions: I did not like how it carried on my back, a bit too low. I moved the shoulder straps down on the deck and it carries a bit higher and I don't "heal" it on slopes. Make sure you use the strap to snug the 2 pieces together so it does not make noise when carrying.

Overall it's a very good stand and I think it's more comfortable than my easy chair! If summit adds plastic inserts and a padded strap, it would give it a 5.

MP

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice first climber, December 30, 2012
This review is from: Summit Viper SD Treestand (Sports)
I decided on this stand after reading many reviews and weighing my options. I got it a few weeks before bow season and had very little time to practice with it. The dvd that came with it was helpful. I practiced one time in the backyard and was ready to hunt after that. I like being able to hunt on the fly and go back in places that I have never scouted. The paint does chip somewhat easy, but there are only small knicks here and there mostly from packing the stand together (25+ times). If you are careful to not let the teeth from the bottom platform scrape the rails of the other while packing, the paint chipping is not a issue. The paint on the teeth of the stand cause it to sqeak while climbing some hardwood trees, but can easily be fixed by taking sandpaper or a file and gently rubbing the paint off the teeth. Be sure to check the wingnuts for the foot stirrups before each ascent to be sure they are tight. Instead of buying the over-priced summit accesory hooks for your weapon, just use a hanger that screws into the tree. I just got a footrest and padded straps to put on the stand which should make it nearly unbeatable. I killed a nice 8 point out of this stand this season with my Parker Wildfire Xp bow. It was mid october and I was 20 ft. up a pine tree about 10 yards from a nice scrape. The buck came in to the scrape and was introduced to a easton st. excel tipped with a rage 2 blade.

Update: I contacted Summit about the paint chipping on the stand and sent a picture, and they sent out 2 cans of touch up paint free of charge. Excellent customer service from a top notch company!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Stand, September 13, 2013
This review is from: Summit Viper SD Treestand (Sports)
This is an easy to use solid all around stand. There have been many reviews of this stand all over the net. Most reviewers have rated this at a 4+ star rating and it is well deserved.

Pro's:
- For the size of the stand it is light weight.
- Very comfortable to carry with the newer designed bungee style straps. It would appear that this style strap has been redesigned as of 2013. There were previous complaints about the strap but it would seem as though they fixed that.
- The stand does pack together well. I recommend YouTube videos from summit themselves as it is a great visual aid for different ways to pack the stand.
- Platform is decently sized even though the seat is fairly large.
- The seat is extremely comfy as mentioned in a few reviews.
- It climbs easy being a sit down style climber. It's the first cable system I've used and it does take some getting used to.
- The available accessories are great. The side and front bags, the wrap around seat, and the foot rest are my personal recommendations.

Cons:
- The cable system is difficult to insert. As said in many reviews before the coating wears off too easily. After my first climb even though I took my time to try to avoid this out began to wear off.
- Tedious to set up. Lots of things to remember and pay attention to: umbilical cord, obviously being careful with the cables, seat has to be wrapped and folded properly, extra packing strap needs attention for space when climbing.

Overall this stand is awesome. It's not necessarily the "run and gun" set up that some may be used to buy it duress great in comparison to most even for that style hunting. I purchased the wrap around seat and the foot rest. These two items will make you want to stay in the stand all day and that's saying a lot since my more common style of hunting is stalking.

I'd, like to address some other issues that have been mentioned in other reviews.

First, I noticed people complain about the zip ties for the arm pads. Well on my stand which is a 2013, these now use zippers. A great way to do it. The other issue as mentioned before is the back straps. I'm glad summit sends to have fixed those as well. Lastly the paint does chip easy. This is my biggest issue. I can just touch it up but it will constantly need paint then. The best way to take care of it is to sand it and repaint using primer which isn't used during the factory painting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfy! Minor Design Flaws to Fix, November 11, 2013
This review is from: Summit Viper SD Treestand (Sports)
My review would easily be a 4+ review if it weren't for just a few design flaws. First, I don't expect the plastic stirrups to hold up very well. I'm not looking forward to the day that they snap while I'm trying to ascend a tree. Secondly, the pack straps are just awful. They're bouncy elastic, and not padded, so the 20lb stand bounces and clangs around as you're walking with it....also, it should have a hip belt. The stand rides WAY too low for comfort. For a stand that's intended to be mobile, quick, and lightweight, packability should be at the forefront of design considerations. Speaking of packability, it's not unheard of for a hunter to carry some sort of backpack. It would be extremely simple to integrate a pack onto this stand for carrying, but there isn't just a simple way. Finally, there's not a suitable method for stowing the seat while ascending/descending. It tends to flop in the way. The instructions show an elastic bungee cord, but it seems to have been replaced with a different seatback securement.

All this being said shouldn't take away from how comfortable the Summit Viper is. Once you manhandle this unwieldy beast through the woods, it sets up and climbs like a charm. I'm a climbing stand rookie, and it didn't take long to get proficient setting up and climbing. If comfort were my only consideration for this review, the Summit Viper gets a 5+ star review. Unparalleled comfort makes it easy to pull off a 6-hour sit. If they could figure out a way to pee off this thing easier, it would be an all day stand. So my criticism is more of the constructive type, as I'm not aware of any climbing stand manufacturer that really makes a comfortable stand, that's lightweight, and packs easily from place to place. If Summit finds a way to address my concerns, they'll have perfected the climber. If you're going to use this stand as a long-term setup that's easily accessible, this thing is perfect. However, if you're backcountry hunting, I'd do some more research for a stand that travels better.

4.0 out of 5 stars almost love it, October 5, 2013
This review is from: Summit Viper SD Treestand (Sports)
I haven't upgraded in over ten years, so I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews. Summit has updated the arm rests with zippers and not zip ties anymore, however the zipper tab raddles around. I didn't find it overly noisy, paint only chipped on the teeth so far, and is very comfy. The seat is great for gun hunting, but if bow hunting with the seat at its highest position you need to play with the height of the platform to get comfy. I don't think the bar is in my way for bow hunting, but can see how people wouldn't like it if shooting from a sitting position. I think the quality of the stand for the price was worth it...and a huge improvement over my old climber.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent stand., November 17, 2013
This review is from: Summit Viper SD Treestand (Sports)
I'm 65 years old and learned how to use this tree stand safely on my own. I watched the video that came with it and anything else I could find on u-tube. I took it out and climbed 10-15 trees with it this year, and on the last climb shot a 4X4 mule deer from the stand. It is put away for now, but I'll be looking for a new tree next year. The reason for 4 stars instead of 5; they didn't warn me how bad my stomach muscles would hurt after the first few times I used it. I used it on a muzzle loader hunt. Six foot one, 210 lbs.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's alright - has benefits and draw backs., November 15, 2013
This review is from: Summit Viper SD Treestand (Sports)
It's just okay. I like that its lite weight. But the tubing construction that gives it this lite weight benefit also has a draw back... It's noisy. If a buckle from the seat hits the tube frame the clang echos through the woods. Even with the buckles coated in rubber.

Also the rubber coating on the cabling - designed to help keep it quiet - wore off after the first couple uses. So now when making adjustments to the tree size - it's loud. The zippers also rattle against the tubing when walking with it on your back - and make noise too. The safety harness that came with it is complete garbage. The seat isn't water resistant. I got caught in a quick rain and spent the rest of the day on a wet seat.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. But I've seen worse so take it for what its worth. But don't let the lite weight be the sole decision making factor for you like I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome climber!!!, November 14, 2013
This review is from: Summit Viper SD Treestand (Sports)
I bought this climber because I got tired of regular blind. I was sceptical about climbing trees but let me tell you this viper is awesome!!!It very well built. Very comfortable and I am very happy with this purchase. The only negative is the harness where it attaches to the tree its a pain trying to feed it and loop it thru in a cold weather. But even the harness itself is not bad. Other than that I read other people talking about paint chipping but I used it seven times and not a chip. So I would deff recommend it.
P.S. Im 255lb and its rated at 300lb but its real sturdy and very well built.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, November 4, 2012
This review is from: Summit Viper SD Treestand (Sports)
I shot my first deer yesterday, the first day I put this stand on a tree. I comparison shopped all over, agonized on whether the stand was worth the money (there are cheaper out there) but in the end, this stand was everything I expected. First-person recommendations from friends and fellow hunters, and recommendations on line, were completely accurate. You will be pleasantly surprised how light it is, yet how solid it feels 25' up a tree. Easy to assemble/set up on the tree, even in the dark. I'm looking forward to many years of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kelly, January 18, 2012
This review is from: Summit Viper SD Treestand (Sports)
Bought this for my son for Christmas and he took it out that week and used it and said it was awesome! Glad I chose this one with all the good reviews.

Summit Viper SD Treestand