5.0 out of 5 stars If you have FAIR skin, read this!
Published on June 10, 2011 by Chris

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed
Published 6 months ago by Dana M. Montemarano

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have FAIR skin, read this!, June 10, 2011
This product is awesome!! I have fair skin and every self tanning lotion/spray I've tried always makes me look orange. I promise you this one doesn't. The flip side is it's not going to make you look brown or super tan though either, so don't expect that. What it DOES do is give you a little color and a really nice glow, especially on your face. It also evens out your skin tone on your face too.

Any downsides/negatives?

The only one I can think of is it's harder to wash off your hands if you don't wash it off immediately after applying it.

TIP: I know it says use it before bed but here are
3 REASONS TO USE IT IN THE MORNING INSTEAD:

1) If you use it right before bed some of it will come off on your pillow and sheets and stain them.

2) If you use it at night and shower in the morning and use a washcloth or loofah, you're going to wash/rub some of it off before your day even starts.

3) If you use it in the morning after you shower it works as a great moisturizer and absorbs better into your skin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, May 13, 2007
This review is from: Sun Laboratories Tan Overnight Self Tanning Lotion 8 fl oz. (Health and Beauty)
This product was recommended in Consumer Reports, and I was not at all disappointed. I have a light olive skin tone and my husband is white white and the product looked good on both. Natural looking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunless tanner game changer, November 14, 2013
I've tried all of the typical drugstore sunless tanners (Neutrogena, Loreal, etc) and settled for Jergens natural glow for a long time now. No matter what, I've always ended up streaky or truly orange from sunless tanners, except for Jergens since the color is so subtle.

Seeking a bit more color than the medium/tan Jergens color, I checked out Amazon's selection of tanners and chose this one because of the price and description of "overnight medium".

Pros:

Its brown! While some may consider this a con since they believe brown lotion can transfer easily to light fabrics, its a major plus for me because it 1)gives instant color and 2)I can actually see where I distribute it on my skin. I'm MUCH less likely to end up with streaks since I can use the color to gauge where it is on my skin right away

It smells good! I'd compare the smell to a cherry/almost scent..I think Jergens lotion (not the tannign lotion) has a similar fragrance. Its clean smelling, and MUCH better than others I've tried. If you are sensitive to fragrance, this lotion is not for you.

It has a pump. This makes it easier to get the lotion out of the bottle when you have lotion on your hands...its not fun trying to squeeze more lotion out of a tube when you already have lotion on you hands. The pump is good.

Price. Self explanatory.

Dries fast for a lotion.

Cons

Again, if youre' sensitive to smells, this is not the lotion for you.

It is pretty dark for a "medium" lotion. Although I'm loving my glow from the lotion, its not a natural look for winter where I live...

Overall, GREAT sunless tanner. I'd use it at night or in the morning because it dries fast and smells good.

I will no longer purchase any other sunless tanner after trying this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tanning lotion, June 25, 2013
Love the color, last about 2-3 days even with showering. The only tanning lotion that does not break me out. I'm allergic to all I've tried except this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural looking tan, April 9, 2008
Michael D. Smith "Wy_oldtimer" (Middle of Wonderful Wyoming) - See all my reviews
I have been using this product for 8 years and it is one of the best on the market. It gives a great natural looking tan without the orange cast you sometimes get with similar products. It is best to use vinyl or latex gloves to apply the product to keep the palms of your hands from turning brown. I have also found out it is necessary to blend the lotion well in areas of the skin that have wrinkles (eg.the knuckles on the tops of the hands)in order to avoid dark lines.

If you are applying it alone a thick layer of gauze pad taped to a long serving spoon helps to reach the areas on your back your hands can't reach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect dupe of Bare Minerals Faux Tan Body, Love it!, January 10, 2014
I have fair/light olive toned skin and I can get a bit sickly looking in the pale winter months with no sun kiss on my face. I like to stay away from tanning beds if I can so I am always on the look out for a good sunless tanner for color and convenience. In the past I have settled for Jergen's Natural Glow and Nivea Sunkissed Radiant Lotion, both of which are nice products that offer a very subtle color, but I wanted more. I recently tried the Bare Minerals Faux Tan Body lotion and was really impressed with it - natural brown color (not too gold, definitely not orange), buildable color, bronze tinted lotion so you can see where you apply it and get an instant bronze boost, no streaks, long lasting... I recently ran out of my Faux Tan Body (which I was also using on my face with no problems) and I didn't want to spend another $30 for 6oz - 6oz doesn't last long when applying to your whole body 2/3x a week. I began to search on Amazon for an alternative and came across this one which had excellent reviews.

Upon receiving Sun Laboratories product I was surprised to notice that it seems to be almost the exact same product as the Bare Minerals Faux Tan Body lotion. It looks the same, smells the same, feels the same, and applies the same. Natural bronze color - not orange. Instant tan color which allows you to see where you apply the lotion. Long lasting. Pleasant fragrance. Even application. Not sticky, slimy, or greasy - really dries and soaks in. It's great.

Both products have the same scent, and I find it pleasing. It doesn't smell like typical self tanning lotion, it has a sort of "amaretto" scent, sort of a subtle almond/cherry smell. It does develop a slight "tan" smell later on but it is not at all overpowering, a quick rinse down in the shower and the scent goes right away - color will stay.

I am so happy I found this product. It is, to me, nearly the exact same as my previously loved Faux Tan Body at a fraction of the price! I can now afford to maintain my tan and keep my sunless tanner in stock no matter how fast I go through it.

One TIP I can offer: If you have dry skin in the winter it might be beneficial to moisturize with a more hydrating lotion before you apply this, the tanning product itself is not very moisturizing alone and I find that using a body butter first helps the tanning lotion apply more smoothly and easily. Exfoliate, moisturize, then apply the tanning lotion.
I apply this product to my face also and I have found that the best, most natural way of doing this is to mix a little bit of tanning lotion with my daily facial moisturizer, I use a small plastic cosmetic spatula and apply a bit of each product to the back of my hand, mix together, then apply. It gives you a gentle bronze glow without looking too harsh.

I will be using this product for a very long time to maintain a subtle winter glow, very pleased! Would recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this stuff!, May 30, 2008
I absolutely love this stuff! With a few simple tricks (like using rubber Playtex gloves to apply, standing in front of a mirror to see what you're doing, and rubbing very quickly) I get a gorgeous tan instantly. It's so awesome to know that I can be immediately tan any time I want!

There is no bad odor when you apply it. After several hours there is a faint odor but not anywhere near the odor of other brands I've tried. I would recommend this to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, April 26, 2014
I would like to think I am a self tanning pro. I've been using St Tropez dark for about a year now and only tried this Sun Laboratories product because of how inexpensive it was here on Amazon. I went through every step I always do and applied to clean exfoliated skin using gloves. The cherry almond smell was nice - part of the reason why I gave this product more than 1 star. After waking up the next morning, it definitely went right to the sunless tanner smell that all of the products have - there's just no way around it. I'm not a big fan of any lotion based self tanner - this one included. I don't think it absorbs as well. What has made me decide to never purchase this product in the future is how unevenly it is fading and streaking. Also, now looking at the color in the natural sunlight, although it gives a decent color - it is very much on the verge of being orange. I would rather spend 3x as much and get a beautiful St Tropez tan that lasts close to a week, fades naturally, and gives amazing color. Mousse self tanners are the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, March 25, 2010
This is the self-tanner that I keep coming back to. I've tried many and this always works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this stuff!!, June 22, 2014
Love this stuff! Gives me a little bit of instant color & gets a little darker over time! Doesn't look orange or fake! I use an applicator mit so I don't make a mess of my hands but if I do get some on them, a little bit of baking soda takes it right off!!

Sun Laboratories Tan Overnight Self Tanning Lotion 8 fl oz.
$39.99 $20.00