4.0 out of 5 stars Addicting

3.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Tried, But Not Perfect
Published on January 12, 2012 by M. Natal

4.0 out of 5 stars Addicting, June 23, 2009
J. Oliver (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sun Laboratories Dark Sunsation Self Tanning Lotion - Very Dark 8 fl oz. (Misc.)
This product is so addicting, at first you might think that it's too much for self tanner but if you get the very dark you can make two bottles last the entire summer and fall. There is never any streaking. The dark color might scare you at first but it rubs and blends in gorgeously. It doesn't smell like a traditional self tanner, but it does have a slight "lotion-y" smell to it hence why the four stars instead of five. However it has red and gray undertones so you never EVER go orange. My friend and I are obsessed! She has pink undertones and I have olive. It looks fabulous on the both of us!

3.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Tried, But Not Perfect, January 12, 2012
I don't have much luck with sunless tanners. I'm very pale and I don't like the health risks associate with tanning in the sun. I've tried many popular drugstore brands I wouldn't go back too. I've tried Jergens Natural Glow, which was my favorite of the low budget variety. It gave nice gradual color but the smell disgusts me so much that I never end up using it for very long. I read glowing reviews about Sun Labs, so I decided to take the hit on my wallet it and give it a try. Keep in mind I only bought a full size version of this product, and not the accompanying scrubs, lotions, etc.

COLOR:
The color is fantastic and gives you a very realistic tan, even if you're starting off as pale as I am. It's the most realistic "quick" tanner I've used, Jergens being the most realistic gradual tanner. The color seems to have an olive undertone instead of orange, ensuring more natural looking bronze skin.

APPLICATION:
The lotion is darkly tinted so you see exactly how it's applying. Take note that if it looks uneven during this time you had better fix it or else it will end up looking just as bad once it sets. I still recommend using a bit of white lotion mixed in a drop of this stuff for your rough spots like knees and feet, or else it may end up soaking too much color as with most tanning lotions.

A note on the dark tint: the tint is there to help you apply, and serve as a visual. It also helps you look much darker. Once you take your first shower after using the product, you will appear much lighter because the tint will wash away. So don't be afraid if the water turns dark brown and you look much lighter after stepping out. Personally I like washing off the dark tint as soon as possible.

LONGEVITY:
If you make sure to exfoliate properly before using, it will last a few days. To avoid looking splotchy and to make sure it comes off evenly, you have to continue exfoliating well every day. While this means it wont' last too long, at least it doesn't fade unevenly.

SMELL:
The main reason I stop using self tanners is because of the bad smell all tanning chemicals have. There seems to be no way around this. Sun Labs has a lovely smell when first applying, smells like cherry, but after an hour or so the perfume fades and the typical self-tanning smell arrives. It's much more subtle than any other tanner I've tried, which is a huge plus. However, it's still there. I have sensitive smell and I get very self-conscious when I smell it and usually stop using the tanner for a while. It's even worse when I go to the gym. A lot of people have had good luck with the smell, but there is a risk it won't work well for you. If this is a determining factor, I suggest trying a sample and going from there. I can only use this product every once in a while before the smell defeats me and I decide being pale for the summer is better than smelling weird.

OVERALL:
Three stars for being one of the best options out there right now. Great application and color. Average longevity. Smell is the most subtle from what I've used, but is still there and bothers me enough to be turned off from using it after a while. If you're desperate for something that looks natural and is easy to use, give this a shot! Just beware if you're sensitive to smells.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, March 23, 2012
So after looking at reviews on youtube.com and reading up on this particular tanner, I went ahead and bought a bottle about a month ago. I just used it today and may I say, I don't know what I was waiting for. I know there is a system, exfoliator, tanner, and maintainer. I, however, just bought the tanner. I have these exfoliating wash gloves that I bought for a few bucks at the store, and I just use my normal body wash. I shaved, exfoliated my body, and after I was dry applied this to my entire body, including my face. I love the fact that the color of the lotion is a dark brown, but as you apply it, it actually has a greenish tint to it. DO NOT BE ALARMED, you will not turn green, and certainly will not turn orange. I am a very fair person, and I found that ultra dark or very dark whatever it is, is perfect. My skin was givin and instant glow, and since I was able to see where I was applying, Blending was easy and there was no streaking. I applied it carefully to my face, making sure I blended well into my neck and ears (you don't want the tan to just end). After each section of my body, I used the exfoliating glove and some soap to clean my palms well, as they were almost mud colored lol. My back was the hardest, as it should be but with some interesting twisting and hand swiping, I evenly blended the lotion, and GOT no streaks. When I was finished I took a round cotton pad, and dabbed it in hot water, went over my eyebrows, my nose, the bridge of my nose, my mouth and jaw line into my neck. Since the color is instant, you can fade it naturally doing that so there is no buildup in a particular spot. In a few hours the color deepened nicely, and at first I thought I could even use another coat, which i may do another coat on my legs, they are especially pale. BUT my arms chest back and face have a wonderful sunkissed glow. Everything is even, and it is as if I went on vacation. I loooove this product. I've used other self tanners before, this is the first one I invested in, but for $20 or so, you really aren't paying that much more for this, when Loreal and those other ones in Rite Aid cost about 10-15 and they do not give the same results. Not to mention the color is completely different. I had a bad self tanning experience a few years ago. I then began to use the tanning beds, and while that did give a rich tan, its expensive and its not healthy at all so take it from me, if you want a nice color, buy a few bottles of this stuff and you will be completely satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars best sunless product, June 17, 2011
this is the best sunless product i have tried, goes on easily, looks natural, even my dermatologist thinks i have been in the sun.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR LEGS, October 22, 2013
THIS IS THE VERY BEST DOES NOT LOOK ORANGE. SPREAD IT EVEN AND FAST OR IT WILL STREAK....I WOULD NOT BOTHER WITH TANNING BEDS ETC THIS IS FAST AND GREAT.

5.0 out of 5 stars lotion, March 25, 2014
I saw this self tanning lotion on youtube and was very happy to find it here much cheaper then she said she paid. So thank you for that. I love the way it works and with a little lemon juice and sugar it comes right off the hands. It got to me when you said it would so the whole experience was terrific. Thanks

Holly

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, May 30, 2013
SANDRA (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This thing works amazing!!!!! I actually wish it can last forever but we all know all fake things come to an end... I would highly recommend this product to those who want to get that deep summer tan without spending a second under the sun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tanner, June 16, 2012
If you are really light skinned, don't buy this in very dark. The regular dark shade works the best= )

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Self Tanner ever used!, June 21, 2011
This is the best smelling, non-orange, natural looking self tanner I have ever used.....and I have used many! It was easy to apply and did not dry my skin like most do! Just make sure you exfoliate before using!

5.0 out of 5 stars Some look great at first but don't wear well, August 13, 2014
I have been using self tanners for about 20 years, so I have tried a lot of different brands. I have learned that no one tanner "does it all". Some are dark, but rub off and even stain clothing and bed sheets. Some look great at first but don't wear well. This is my favorite every-day moisturizing self tanner. It goes on VERY smoothly and easily, it has a beautiful, natural color, and wears off fairly evenly. Best of all, it dries quickly and does not stain my clothing. And it really does smell great--sort of like chocolate cherry. For those of you who wondered, I experimented and found that the "Very Dark" is a bit deeper and stays a bit longer than the "Ultra Dark".