1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but a design flaw makes it very fragile, September 29, 2012
This review is from: Sunlite Woody Front Basket
This is a very good looking basket. It has a nice chrome finish and a very classy looking wood base. I bought it to replace a Wald 139 wire basket and it is almost identical in size with the same width and depth. It's slightly shorter, maybe just sticking out maybe an inch less in front of the handlebars. Wald makes a woody version of the 139, and at first I thought I'd get that, but I didn't like the Wald logo that was burnt into the wood. In my opionion this basket looks nicer, and from the photos appears to have a lighter color of wood that I prefer. Also, the base of the basket is clearly designed to be wood, whereas the woody version of Walds 139 just adds the wood slats on top of the normal 139 wire base.

The mounting system of the Sunlite basket is a little more complicated than the Wald. All the fasteners use Allen head bolts, and there are bolts and nuts for the handlebars, the top of the struts where they meet the basket, and allen head bolts to adjust the length of the lower struts. The range of adjustment seems comparable to the Wald 139, and it fits my Schwinn Coffee cruiser well.

I'd give this basket 5 stars if I hadn't notice that one of the lower struts bent immediately when I fastened it to the front axle. The holes for the adjustment bolts create a weak spot in the lower struts, making them quite fragile. I've added some photos to clarify the problem. I find it unacceptable that simply mounting the basket to the bike broke it. I won't be returning it though. I measured the struts from my old Wald basket, and once I drill out the rivets that on the Wald struts it should be a straightforward swap.

There's no way I can recommend this basket. In contrast, I've got two Wald baskets that have served me well for years. The design of the Wald baskets is clearly superior to the Sunlite and much more rugged.

Update (a little over a month later): I contacted Sunlite. They were very polite, but they couldn't offer me a replacement strut. They suggested I see if any of the Wald struts might work. For my bike, the 17" Wald 135X was a perfect fit (though I did have to drill out the top mounting hole a little bit). It's a much simpler and stronger design and sunlite should use it. Some of the chrome has already chipped off the mounting hardware, so my recommendation is still to stick with Wald products.

ARRAY(0x98c5f8ac)