4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect
Published on May 2, 2008 by Nathan R. Brubaker

2.0 out of 5 stars Stiff and crappy
This is too stiff and the cover doesn't stay on properly. It functions as a heating pad, but there are others that are much more comfortable. This one is so stiff that it doesn't lay on the body very well.
Published on April 21, 2011 by L. Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, May 2, 2008
This review is from: Sunbeam 731-500 Heating Pad with UltraHeat Technology (Health and Beauty)
My wife and I have been using this product for a variety of things and it has been great. When you turn it on, it doesn't take long to heat up which is great. At its highest temperature, the heat setting is just right, hot enough to bring relief without becoming too hot or uncomfortable. The only thing we wish was different is that once it has been on High for a while, it begins to cool down and does not become hot again until its cooled down first. This is a little frustrating if you wanted it to be hot for longer. We have tried turning it off and unplugging it at that stage, waiting a minute or two and then plugging it in again and having it on High but this doesn't seem to make it any faster. It still doesn't reach High again until its cooled down first. Other than that, its wonderful and has been a huge help for sore backs, necks, and other ailments. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahh, pain free, March 15, 2006
A. Sue "meleanadog" (Pearl City, HI, USA) - See all my reviews
This product exceeds my expectations. I use it for upper back pain, lower back pain, and neck spasms. The 3-position heat control is very useful. My only complaint is that the unit bunches up inside the removable/washable cover and you have to straighten it out every so often but that is easily accomplished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunbeam Heating Pad w/o Shut Off is Great!!!, November 8, 2011
I'm an animal person & it breaks my heart to see animals trying to keep warm during the winter. I purchased this to keep my our outside kitty cats warm for the winter (they adopted me actually). I can leave it on during the coldest of days & not worry about them freezing or finding places they don't belong to keep warm. I put a thick towel down & throw these on top. Take the pads out weekly, throw them in the washer & wipe off the plastic. The last set I bought lasted 9 winters. It's hard to find heating pads that don't have the auto-shut off feature, so when I can find this type, I like to keep an extra set & for the price, it's almost a shame everyone doesn't have a set for their outside animals.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stiff and crappy, April 21, 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't As Described, Doesn't Work, December 27, 2011
SP Sandsteel (Portland Oregon) - See all my reviews
This was supposed to be a "Sunbeam Health at Home" heating pad. The one I got was called "Soft Heat soothing therapy." I wouldn't have minded a substitution except this is horrible. There are 3 heat settings and only a one button to control all of it, including the on/off function. I press the button to turn it on and to scroll from low to medium to high. I don't mind that, but because the main button is used to scroll through the settings, there is no OFF setting! It goes low, medium, high, and back to low, instead of going to off. There isn't even any WAY to turn it off, except by unplugging it.

The instructions say that if the pad has gone to the auto-shut off, I should press the power button to turn it off, then select the heat setting I want. Yet, the power button does NOT turn it on or off once it has auto shut down (or ever). I have to unplug it, then plug it back in. Also, mine starts to heat up then goes immediately into auto shut down without even getting warm.

Perhaps mine is defective, but either way, I will be returning this and will NOT buy the same kind again. Even if it did work as stated, it isn't as good a design as the one I have at home (this one is for at work).

1.0 out of 5 stars Barely warm, April 4, 2011
Never really gets hot, just stays a bit warm, not a good purchase for someone looking to remedy aches and pains. Past heating pads I've used were much more reliable at producing heat.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT what I ordered!, March 2, 2009
I have 3 major complaints about this product. First, the picture of the heating pad I THOUGHT I ordered was not the one that arrived. So if anyone else is interested in this particular heating pad --- BEWARE!!! That ISN'T the one you're going to get! Amazon.com obviously has the wrong picture listed for this item. Second, the medium setting on this heating pad isn't nearly as warm as the medium setting on my old one so I have to turn this one up to the highest setting in order to get the same amount of heat. Third, once it gets hot (on the highest setting), it then starts to cool down. After it (cools down) a little bit, it heats back up again. After a few minutes, it begins to cool down again and so on. This cycle of heating/cooling is continuous the entire time it's on the hottest setting. I suppose it must be some sort of a safety precaution because it doesn't have an automatic shut-off feature but it's VERY annoying. Nowhere in the Amazon.com description does it mention this feature nor is it even mentioned in the instructions that come with the product itself. As far as heating pads go, this one is okay, I guess. But I was disappointed when I didn't get the one I thought I was ordering.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it..., August 13, 2011
Lian (Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
I got it to help with some aches and pains and was highly disappointed with this product. I bought it because it's a great brand and everyone raved about it, but when I plug in the pad and let it sit to heat up it doesn't even get as hot as my skin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well on the low setting, doesn't get hot on highest setting, October 22, 2011
Mainly this heating pad is a great deal, a bargain. It's not as good as many other heating pads but will do the job in a pinch. It has 3 heat settings and works especially well on the low setting. I've had it on all night a couple times on the low setting. The highest setting does not get it hot. It's never hot, just a little warm.

This is a discount heating pad. It doesn't mold well to the contour of one's body. It's stiff but bends, doesn't roll up against anything. It doesn't drape around one's shoulders, for example. It's too stiff.

I can't say this is the only heating pad you'll need or want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept simple at excellent price; happily, no auto shut off, January 27, 2012
I was looking for a heating pad that would do double duty -- function as a pain relieving aid for the body, and function as a warmer/heater for making yogurt at home. For both uses, I wanted one that wouldn't shut off by itself. In reading the reviews for heating pads, it seemed as if either one couldn't tell from the description, or the product's information was actually misleading. This one -happily- does not shut off by itself, good for those long painful nights and for the extended period needed to keep the yogurt fermenting. It's HOT ENOUGH too for aches and pains - at first I thought it wasn't, it seemed merely warm on the high setting. But removing the provided cover and substituting a tee-shirt revealed that it gets nice and hot. I guess they're so worried about burns and lawsuits that they made the cover too protective for my tastes. I like it to get HOT! Note that the "absorbent sponge" is just a neglible piece of foamy stuff. I dont care about that - in the olden days, we'd just put a wet cloth between self and pad for moisture.

At 12.99 and free Super Saver shipping, this was the right one for me.
update, 2.14.12 I used it for yogurt making about a month later: worked fine for that as well.

Sunbeam 731-500 Heating Pad with UltraHeat Technology
$18.63
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.