5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter set
Sunbeam 76893.05 Kitchen Bake 5-Piece Bakeware Set, Carbon Steel

Published on November 19, 2012 by MerryMaryQC

3.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what was needed.
This is perfect for anyone who is starting out and has nothing in their kitchen, seems to be of solid enough quality to last until someone can purchase more for their kitchen.
Published 10 months ago by Josh Warnke

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter set, November 19, 2012
This review is from: Sunbeam 76893.05 Kitchen Bake 5-Piece Bakeware Set, Carbon Steel (Kitchen)
Sunbeam 76893.05 Kitchen Bake 5-Piece Bakeware Set, Carbon Steel

All of my baking pans were ruined by rust and mold in a flood so I ordered this to have some basics again. I'm going to order another whole set because they are very nice, good sizes and non-stick. I definitely recommend this set to anyone setting up a new apartment or home. They will last a good while if properly cared for so unless you are a professional baker and want to invest in high priced bakeware, this is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay non-stick!, October 4, 2012
Katheryn (Vero Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Very happy with this product so far. It truly is non-stick and so easy to clean after using. I have used the cookie sheet the most and the quality seems to be very good...no warping (again, so far).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal for the money!, May 20, 2013
Got these on sale on Amazon. Got them in the mail shortly after ordering and opened (and put them to use!) right away. Definitely am happy with my purchase. 2 cake pans, 1 bread/loaf pan, 1 muffin pan, and 1 cookie sheet. I really wish it was a 12-muffin pan instead of a 6-muffin.. but doesn't affect how much I love this set! I've used the cookie sheet almost daily since ordering and no warping, or any other negatives, have occurred. EASY TO CLEAN! Overall happy and satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and reliable, September 24, 2013
The thing that has impressed me the most is that the baking sheet doesn't warp in the oven like a lot of bargain sheet pans do. After seasoning the first use, they have been slick as ice and nothing has stuck to them. Fabulous beginning bakeware set.

4.0 out of 5 stars bakeware, August 6, 2013
Yup. It's bakeware. Non stick, pretty standard. It's hard to mess this up, though it does happen. I haven't used them much, but they seem durable enough and the non stick stuff seems to be lasting. will change my review if needed after more use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product for the price, May 29, 2013
I was very excited to receive the product because all of my baking products have been ruined by my male roommates who do not know how to use them. Within two days, I recieved the product and it was excellent. So far I have used all the bakeware except the cake pans - since I don't typically make cake. The muffin tin, loaf tin and cookie sheet are all non stick and excellent with even heat distribution so everything cook perfectly and evenly.

I would recommend this to everyone, especially for the cheap price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what was needed., February 20, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality for the money -- Note that care should be exercised with usage/cleaning due to the Xylan (the non-stick coating), October 17, 2014
I purchased these about two years ago for lighter-moderate home usage. Being one of the less expensive kits (when I got it the price was like $16) I did not expect the best quality but was hoping for something of a reasonable compromise between build-quality and value. These have met these expectations and I feel that for under 20 bucks this is a very good value.

===SIZES===
The variety of shapes make a nice set: two cake pans, a loaf pan, a cupcake/muffin pan, and a baking sheet. That covers most of the bases in a single set, making this not only a good value but one of usable individual pieces.

The loaf pan and 2 cake pans are pretty standard-sized. The muffin/cupcake pan spaces the cupcakes a little closer to each other than most other muffin pans I have used. I am noting this because it creates a visual illusion that the cooking sheet is larger than it actually is since the muffin pan is more compact than most others. At about 15x10 inches, the cookie sheet is on the smaller size. For my own usage, this small size works great as I only cook for one or two. Still, I wanted to note this.

===NON-STICK COATINGS - XILAN & TEFLON & THEIR SAFETY===
This set is made from a carbon steel and is coated with a xilan (technically Xylan) outer-coating to reduce corrosion and sticking (and make cleanup easier.) As others have noted, Xylan is very similar to the better-known DuPont Teflon, and there are some health concerns with Teflon at very high temperatures. Around the 500F mark, these polymer coatings can begin to break down (at a molecular level and so you cannot physically see this happen.) THIS is when Xylan or Teflon becomes a potential health-hazard (at around 600F, there is an additional concern of polymer fumes.) With that said, that is not a concern for me as I only use these for cooking below 400F (so the temperatures these see are not high enough for this to be a concern.)

So, if you are going to be using these around or above the 500F temp mark, these are NOT a good match and bakeware without such coatings (ex: bakeware made with borosilicate glass) is a better match.

===CARE & CLEANING===
The non-stick works well but it does result in a need for gentle care as these coatings are on the more delicate side. I would suggest hand washing these (and immediately hand-drying them) despite them being dishwasher-capable. The reasons for this are because the steel is a carbon steel (making it more prone to rust) and the non-stick is a teflon (which is more delicate than other finishes). I would also suggest cleaning these with a softer sponge or paper towel, and using a dish soap that is not abrasive. This will help maximize the lifespan of the non-stick coating.

Finally, I would also suggest using softer utensils with these, such as those made from wood or plastic. Steel utensils will damage the non-stick coating.

Overall, I am happy with this purchase. These were reasonably priced for what I got, have a decent non-stick coating, and came in a variety of shapes that are useful to my baking. So if you are looking for a mid-level (and non-stick) bake set that has both good quality and good value, this is a great choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality bakeware, May 13, 2014
Very pleased with this set of bakeware. High quality, sturdy and durable. Non-stick works great! Would buy this set again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, February 5, 2014
Use the cookie sheet almost every day for chicken nuggets and ff etc, and it's holding up amazingly. Whole set is great and versatile for our kitchen. No professional chefs here or anything - just everyday use for a couple of people. (Note muffin tin is half a dozen!)

We did follow instructions to use an oil the first time they went in the oven, if that helped.