4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Donuts at Home are Great!!
Published on December 18, 2011 by Bobo Roni

3.0 out of 5 stars Better construction needed
I ordered this Sunbeam Donut maker because my daughter absolutely loves donuts and enjoys baking with me so I thought this would be a fun project for us.It arrived on time and was packaged well. I would have liked to have had an option in choosing a color other than yellow but it's a fun color for children so I don't mind.

My biggest concern with this donut...
Published 6 months ago by RockOfLove

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Donuts at Home are Great!!, December 18, 2011
This review is from: Sunbeam FPSBDML920 Donut Maker, Yellow (Kitchen)
I received this as a gift from a friend this holiday season. I have made some great donuts so far. Steering clear of the recipes included in the instructional booklet, (a tip from users online), I found recipes by doing a search online. Recipes for donuts that include butter seem to be the best bet. It takes me about an hour from start to finish to prepare and create a whole batch of 10-12 donuts.

Before putting the dough into the wells, I brush butter in them and it helps the donut brown nicely. Make sure not to overfill the wells, only fill halfway, or the mixture will bubble out the sides and create a donut with excess. I leave each batch in about 10 minutes to ensure the donuts are cooked through and the outsides are brown. If you don't add enough batter, your donuts will brown unevenly. If I'm making cinnamon sugar donuts, I dip the donuts into butter and swirl to get a coating, then dip them in a cinnamon sugar mixture to top them. These store very well in the fridge and freezer.

I was skeptical about having to store donuts and losing flavor or texture in the process. To my surprise, popping these in the toaster oven make them spring back to life as if they were fresh out of the maker.

I have enjoyed using this appliance so far and look forward to finding more recipes to try out to share with friends.

*PS- (UPDATE 12/22) here are the ingredients for the Cinnamon Sugar donuts (my fave so far)

Dry ingredients:

Wet ingredients:
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter or 1/2 cup margarine

Cinnamon sugar mixture for tops (add more as necessary):
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Mix together, brush the wells with butter, then fill the wells up 1/2 way. Should produce 12 donuts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly!, December 14, 2010
This review is from: Sunbeam FPSBDML920 Donut Maker, Yellow (Kitchen)
LOVE this donut maker. It is very easy to use and works perfectly - donuts cook quickly and pop out easily, and the surface is easy to wipe off when cooking is done. I have also been experimenting with muffin mixes, etc. to make muffin 'donuts' for fun breakfasts - some mixes add a minute or so to the normal cook time, but that is still fast. My favorite recipe so far: one box butter recipe yellow cake mix with a teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and mace (I leave out the oil so they are healthier - still delicious). Makes a really good traditional cake donut. So, so good...depending on what recipe or mix you use, the donuts have the potential to be a lot healthier than store-bought donuts as well since they aren't fried. The donuts are great the first day - fine the second day if you pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2012, December 30, 2012
Onifer76 (East Palestine, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunbeam FPSBDML920 Donut Maker, Yellow (Kitchen)
I gave this my wife for Christmas. When she saw It she was very disappointed. After using it the first time she fell in love with it. The donuts are smaller than your donuts at the shop but these can be very tasty. First you are not frying the donuts which is better for you. My wife uses pancake mix, then uses powdered sugar with vanilla, or cocoa to get the sugar flavor. The donuts taste really good! This donut maker makes bigger donuts than most of them out there so if you are trying to find one closest to full size, this would be it. Please rate this review was helpful! Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Virginia. There are low calorie donuts!, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Sunbeam FPSBDML920 Donut Maker, Yellow (Kitchen)
After reading horror stories about other brands of donut makers scorching and baking unevenly, I decided on the Sunbeam model. I modified a couple of recipes to make low calorie cake donuts, and both are just wonderful. (They do not taste like waffles.) I have to say that I am perfectly satisfied with this donut maker, and it bakes very evenly with no scorching. Even when I ditzed-out and forgot about them for a couple of minutes while I was busy decorating the prior batch, they did not burn. So, this donut maker seems to be pretty forgiving. I don't have kids, but I think it would be a good choice for kids. The outside of it (yellow part) only gets warm, although the black cooking surfaces get real hot. My husband and I both think it is wonderful to have fresh, warm donuts with our morning coffee, and I gotta tell ya this is the most fun I have had with a new kitchen toy since my first Easy-bake oven! We make small batches only so that the donuts are always fresh. Yum!

A handle for the lid would have been nice because lifting the latch is a little awkward, especially with an oven mit on. Here are a couple of small batch, low calorie recipes, using Splenda and limited fats. You can have a couple of donuts for a small meal or snack without blowing your diet. How fantastic is that!

Vanilla Donuts, Half Batch

Combine dry ingredients:

1 cup cake flour
1/2 cup Splenda
1 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

combine wet ingredients and mix all together

1/2 cup 1% buttermilk
1 egg
1 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

Place the batter into a ziploc freezer bag and snip a small piece off the corner of the bag to create a pipping bag or just use a pipping bag. Spray your donut maker with a light coat of non-stick cooking spray. Pipe enough batter into each well to fill halfway or better.

Bake for 4 minutes. Spray with buttery PAM and dunk in Splenda or Splenda and Cinnamon. Or, if you are less concerned about calories, use glaze, or whatever.

Total recipe, without toppings is 700 calories. Makes about 8 donuts, about 87 calories each, without toppings. Probably about 100 with glaze.

Chocolate Donuts, Half Batch

7 oz. cake flour (1 Cup minus 2 Tbsp)
1/8 cup cocoa powder (2 Tbsp)
1/2 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In small bowl, mix together cake flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add buttermilk, egg, oil and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined.

Bake the donuts for 4 minutes in the donut maker. Spray with buttery PAM and dunk in Splenda. Or, if you are less concerned about calories, use glaze, or whatever.

Make about 9 donuts. Total calories for this recipe is about 700 without glaze or topping. That's about 78 calories for each donut without glaze.

Chocolate Glaze
3 0z powdered sugar
1 oz unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon hot water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Blend in small bowl until smooth. Dunk donuts in glaze. Top with sprinkles, nuts, or crushed up candy cane bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed, December 6, 2010
This review is from: Sunbeam FPSBDML920 Donut Maker, Yellow (Kitchen)
We just bought this over the weekend and tried it out with a gluten-free recipe. We had given up "fresh" donuts to buy GF frozen ones, which are good, but nothing like hot and homemade. My 8-yr-old daughter was in heaven -- we made glazes from the recipes that came with the maker and also just sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar. The doughnuts are small, so she ate 5 of them -- for our family of 5 we made about 20 doughnuts. Very easy, quick and a fun morning treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun way to make yummy creations, May 17, 2011
This review is from: Sunbeam FPSBDML920 Donut Maker, Yellow (Kitchen)
This works well and as described. My 10 year old had no problem using this with supervision. The donuts are small, about the size of mini-bagels, and the mix we prepared ended up making 14 donuts. I do recommend using a squeeze batter bottle to put the batter in the molds, otherwise it can be tricky to get the batter in there without a mess. The cooking time is 5-7 minutes per batch, but once the first batch was done & cooled, my son had fun decorating those while the next batch cooked. Everyone enjoyed the taste of the "donuts". Keep in mind these do not turn out like bakery style donuts that are fried. These are more of a cake like donut, with a lightly crispy outside. A fun easy way to cook something different with my son. Clean up was easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Muffin machine!, April 14, 2012
This review is from: Sunbeam FPSBDML920 Donut Maker, Yellow (Kitchen)
We bought this donut maker despite my husband's belief it would just be a cute gadget we'd put on a rummage sale after a few uses. We've been using it for 6 months now, tried the recipes in the book (there are only a few and with amazing amounts of fat), and decided to experiment. No, they don't really taste like donuts, but you can start feeding the family in a few minutes, as opposed to 30+ if you're baking muffins. Muffins are a staple at our house (yes, on school mornings too) and muffin batters work well in the donut maker. I suppose you could use box mixes, but I'm a Make It From Scratch gal, so here's my favorite recipe:

Apple Donuts
1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl: 2 c. flour, 1/2 to 3/4 c. sugar (depending on taste), 1 T baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. nutmeg.
2. Whisk together wet ingredients in another bowl: 1 egg, 3-4 T. oil, 1 c. milk.
3. Combine all ingredients and stir in 1 grated apple.
4. Fill the bottom half of donuts, close lid & cook for 6 minutes. I never remember whether the light should be on or off to indicate doneness, so I set the timer.

Variations are endless. Substitute thawed blueberries, raspberries, chocolate chips. Try the Morning Glory Muffin with pineapple, raisins & grated carrots.

Enjoy this product! We surely do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you use your brain and also have the right expectations, October 25, 2012
This review is from: Sunbeam FPSBDML920 Donut Maker, Yellow (Kitchen)
We love our Sunbeam donut maker. I've made waffles my whole life, so knew what to expect. There is a bit of a learning curve with knowing how much to fill the donuts (just slightly over the level surface). The donuts of course are best just a few minutes off the grill. Later, they are best with five seconds in the microwave. You don't really need to spray the surface with oil, there's plenty of butter/oil in the recipe and they do not stick. I have a "pancake pen" from Williams-Sonoma that is perfect for getting the batter neatly into the donut spots. And of COURSE the donuts aren't exactly like what you get if you deep fat fry doughnuts or buy them from your bakery, but they are still really really good, and fun to mess around with. Also of note, we chose the Sunbeam because it only makes 5 donuts, which means the donuts are a bit bigger (and they are still fairly small), which makes the slots easier to fill. I really think that the folks who rated this poorly either don't know how to make waffles, or were somehow expecting a $25 machine to do what a bakery does with totally different equipment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Sunbeam FPSBDML920 Donut Maker, Yellow (Kitchen)
I bought the nostaglia donut maker for my girls for christmas. The donuts were so tiny and they burned the bottom and the tops were still a little light and doughy. I was not impressed. I looked up reviews on the sunbeam and Bella Cucina and was going to get the Bella Cucina but ended up with the Sumbeam. So I did a cook off with the Sunbeam and Nostalgia. The Nostalgia still burned the doughnuts by the time they were not doughy. The Sunbeam did much better and we were very happy with them. The Sunbeam donuts are a little bigger (twice the size of the nosagia ones) about 2 1/2 inch diameter, more even on the bottom in color but still a little lighter on the top but a much better donut maker on the whole. We will keep this one it is a fun activity to do with my girls. We tried a recipe online which is supposed to be from Bella Cucina which is 1 c flour, 1/2 csugar, 1Tbsp baking powder, 1 egg 1/2 c milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and 4 tbsp oil. We were very happy how they turned out will keep the Sunbeam and will try other recipes for fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gluten Free Donuts Easy, October 22, 2011
This review is from: Sunbeam FPSBDML920 Donut Maker, Yellow (Kitchen)
So easy. In about 25 minutes or less you can have a dozen donuts, from the batter of your choice. GF cake batter works well. Will try GF brownie mix for extra chocolate donuts soon. Size of donuts are about half regular size, so good for portion control. Easier to wipe clean than a Foreman Grill. I'm pleased with the happy design also. The only improvement I could suggest is a timer, but you can pick that up or already have that handy.

Sunbeam FPSBDML920 Donut Maker, Yellow