Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sunbeam 816-000 HeatflexHeating Pad
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 14, 2011
I was afraid to buy this heating pad after reading the negative reviews, but I couldn't find a better option. I was very happy with my purchase for about 18 months. However, after storing the heating pad for a couple of months during the summer, it started having the automatic shutoff problems other reviewers have described when I took it out of storage. Now I have to replace it. The good things about it, while it worked, were that the lowest heat setting is comfortably warm and the highest setting gets nice and hot. I used this item almost every day, so I did get a lot of use out of it. I love that the fabric cover is part of the heating pad--not removable--so it doesn't shift around. The heating pad is very flexible and comfortable and the cord is plenty long. The button for adjusting the heat makes a very loud clicking sound which I found annoying, but it is not a deal breaker. Another problem is that the place where the cord exits the heating pad seemed to often be in the way/uncomfortable when laying on the heating pad with it under my back (also not a deal breaker). Despite the problems, Sunbeam appears to have a near monopoly on the heating pad market, so my replacement pad is going to be a Sunbeam as well. Other brands have poor reviews, too.
11 comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2009
This is my first time writing a review on amazon - I rarely feel the urge to write something here but this is a great product that deserves a better review! I use this when I have muscle ache on my back or shoulder. In winter, I sleep on it - it's safe because it will automatically be turned off after 2 hours when you'll be already asleep. It helps me relax and fall asleep easily. I liked this one so much so that I bought one for my mom and my mother-in-law who also loves this product. I highly recommend it.
11 comment|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2009
I purchased this product in January of 2008, and used it for the remainder of last winter. It worked well for lower and upper back pain caused by cold weather, and the three heat settings were nice to be able to customize the heat. However, this winter, it simply stopped working. The "high heat" light flashed on and off (as it does when it auto-shut off after two hours), and unplugging/plugging it back in did not fix the issue. Removing the cord, and re-inserting it did not fix the issue. My guess is there is something wrong in the wiring that is sending a signal that the unit is overheated and has forced an automatic shutoff. While it was a good heating pad, it only worked for 3-4 months before breaking. I'll be looking for a non-Sunbeam brand to replace this, as this was the second Sunbeam heating pad I've had that stopped working for no reason.
99 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2011
I have had a LOT of heating pads in my time, and the sunbeam flexible cloth pads are the only ones I use now. Great heat...I tend to use medium, and convenient to wash. This is my third time buying the pad (old ones still work, I just like having them all over the house), I would highly recommend this product.
on May 22, 2011
I purchased this product for lower back pain because I thought the shape of the heating pad would work well. But after receiving it learned it was meant to be to place on top of painful area only. Leaning against it creates too much heat very quickly even on the lowest setting. If you need back pain relief, search heated lumbar support, also available on Amazon.
on March 23, 2008
got this product to us around my neck. The wires are very thin and the pad twists enough to wrap around my neck and shoulders. wish you could over-ride the 2 hour shutoff, but that is a minor annoyance.
on October 28, 2011
I bought this heating pad a few months ago and no complaints so far. The cord is long enough to allow having the pad quite far from the outlet. I read that it doesn't heat well even on the highest setting. However, I find it too hot sometimes and have to go to a lower setting, especially if I have it with me in bed under the blanket. The control is convenient and can be operated even in the dark because of the little lights. As for the 2 hour shut off, it is great. I do not have to worry about forgetting to turn it off. By the time it is off I am soundly asleep. And I can wash it in the washing machine! It is a steal for this amount!
on November 13, 2012
What a waste of money! I was happy when the pad arrived because I liked the extra soft cover. I used it about 6 times and it started flashing the "hot" light. I tried unplugging it, plugging it back in, selecting the low heat. After 5 seconds the "hot" light starts flashing again. When we called Sunbeam, they said I must have used the pad incorrectly: Apparently you can't lie on it on lean against anything. "One side of the pad must have air the entire time." The fact that I never lay on it, but placed it on top of a shoulder seemed to have no affect with the rude service lady. If I had known that it was so fragile AND that Sunbeam wouldn't replace a defective product, I would have never wasted my money. I'll buy another brand next time.
on December 9, 2011
Have purchased 3 Sunbeam heating pads. They work great until the red light starts flashing and it stops working. Followed instructions from "customer service" to unplug to reset but it still does not work. The "non-human" customer service recommended I take it to my nearest service center over 200 miles away. This seems to be a continuing problem with all Sunbeam heating pads. Will be looking for another brand.
on April 24, 2008
The pad was as described with the exception of the chemical odor which the pad gave off. I had to return the pad as the odor was too strong.