Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Color: BlackChange

on April 17, 2011
I just bought this tonight at an army PX. When I took it out of the box, I read the directions (6-pages, people, including all the safety mombo-jumbo junk). I cleaned out the kettle like the directions said and plugged it in. As it was heating up, I went online to read when the product actually turns off automatically (since there is only a blurb in the user manual that states: "Ensure the ON/OFF switch is clear of obstructions and the lid is firmly closed. The electric kettle will not turn off automatically if the ON/OFF switch is constrained, or if the lid is left open."). In the time I came online to find this product, there was a "pop" from the kitchen that sounded like a muffled circuit break. When I went out to the kitchen, I found that the kettle did indeed automatically turn off. I turned it back on, and immediately the water boiled for about 10 seconds before it turned off again. I did not see any chemicals on top (like the one review says), and I did not smell any odor. I felt the need to write this review because I felt the others were unfair. Had the other reviewers that rated this poorly read the directions, they would have seen that you are supposed to clean it twice before its first use (which may have eliminated many of their complaints). Either way, I don't care if you buy this product or not, since I have no stake in it, but felt obligated to write a review that seemed more fair.

To be fair: My wife and I used the kettle only once for a cup of tea and it turned out fine. I did not give it 5-stars because I only have had it for a few hours and am not able to comment on its longevity. If this product still performs well in a few years (as I expect appliances to do), I would rate it one more star. Also, I am a stickler and hardly ever rate ANYTHING in life perfect (except my wife), so that is why it received 4-stars, in case you were wondering.

Update (30 January 2012): We use this at least once and sometimes twice a day. Longevity has proven this product worth 5-stars (although I waited less than a year, I am none-the-less impressed).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2010
We bought one of these on sale at Target about 5 months ago.
It has performed as well as advertised, meeting all of our expectations.

I'm not sure why the other posters had bad experiences (though I see they appear to have posted on both versions of this kettle).

As for quality of the water, we've made tea, cocoa mixes and my French Press coffee (that I'm very particular about -French press vs drip coffee), all with no complaint. The manual does provide specific instructions for flushing the kettle prior to use -perhaps the posters failed to follow those instructions.

We use it 5 to 7 times a week, and have never had an issue with the auto shut off not functioning.
It does sound like heavy boiling, then appears to taper off some before it shuts off. Perhaps the other users didn't wait long enough for the full cycle. Opening the lid will definitely subject you to dangerous steam -it is boiling water.

I highly recommend this kettle, and will likely buy some as gifts for family. The convenience and water quality are far better than our stove top kettles of the past 20 or so years.
on October 9, 2011
I purchased this Electric Kettle after seeing a friend of mine bring one in and use it. I am forward deployed in Middle East and heating water on a stove is not an option. After receiving this product and using it countless times, I would say this is the quickest way to get hot water, Even a full pot.
Love the Auto Off switch.
When I return to the US, I will most definitively order or buy another one.
Highly Recommended.
on March 10, 2014
Bought this water heater / boiler about 3 years ago from a local store.
I use it to boil water in the office (for black tea). For me it’s a very efficient solution: good performance, reliability at a low cost.

Color = white (for me, a good looking appliance should be white)
Very easy to clean – use a wet paper towel. (I never used detergent, alcohol, etc. and it looks like new)
Fast boiling, reliable use.
Note: After almost two years the power cord stopped working (bad contact inside the molded plug). It was an easy fix because the power cord is standard for computer monitors (and I had one from an old CRT pc monitor).

None for me! However, if you need to move around too much (ex, go fill it with water or, being used by people in cubicles around) you might want to go to a more expensive model with quick connect. To move around you need to unplug the cable from the appliance. I rarely unplug it since I am the only user and I bring water with a bottle (it is more convenient for me). The more expensive ones have a quick connect system and you just lift the pitcher and use it.
Consider the use and your style when you pick a product!
on March 5, 2012
Faster than any other way to boil water. If you heat water for anything you need this product. I have tried other water boiler, but this is by far the best one I have ever used.
on November 22, 2010
I also bought this kettle on sale at Target for $13. It lasted for about 4 months, and just broke today. The "automatic shutoff" was faulty and didn't always shut off, and it had a strong plastic taste (and I'm honestly not that picky about the taste of water).

In short, I'd recommend going with something a little pricier that actually works!
on July 26, 2010
Terrible odor makes the water undrinkable. They treated the inside with some chemical that even after frequent washing still does not come out. No, the odor is not from the water as I used the same faucet with the previous kettle I owned but replaced with this when the top broke off the other kettle. The problem is this Sunbeam. This company used to make decent products then went south and I have now been disappointed for the last time. I sent this back for full refund.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2012
Does it heat water? Yes. I was fortunate enough to get one that works properly, but it is only practical if you are sitting it right next to the plug. I have a small kitchen, so I keep a tea station in my living room. Even though the table is right over the plug, it is still too far for the cord on this kettle, not a problem with my last kettle. This makes pouring extremely annoying.
on May 2, 2013
I got this kettle for my bridal shower, now its 6 years later and it finally died. I used my kettle A LOT! So I think for 6 years it did very well, and considering the price I'm even happier with it. Its a great kettle for a great price, its so much cheaper than a lot of other kettles on the market.
on August 21, 2013
We just got this kettle a few days ago. I ordered the black one and it fits in well with our assortment of black & chrome counter top stuff - better than I expected. Thanks to other reviewers' comments, I actually read the directions (I'm not a fan of RTFM) and cleaned the pot as directed: washing it (including inside the lid) with detergent and then boiling and discarding two loads of water. I then made myself a cup of tea, decaffeinated (unfortunately), and perforce somewhat weak, and detected no off flavors at all. Have used it 2-3x daily since with great results: we like it very much.

This is our third electric kettle in 7 years. We had problems with the two prior ones (Chef's Choice most recently) because over time the connections between the removable kettle and its power base stopped working well. Our handyman was able to get one going, but not for long. So, I was looking for a kettle with a more protected connection and think this might do well. I'll revise this later if I run into problems.

I really like the feel of this kettle! It's lighter in weight than I'm used to, and the big handle balances well when the pot is full, making lifting it to pour more stable and comfortable than expected. I also like the the short cord for my purposes, as there's an outlet near its place on the counter, and I don't have yet more excess cord lengths to deal with. I can see the short cord could be problematic under other circumstances, requiring an extension cord (3 prong, 15 amps, 120 volts: see I really did read the manual!).

And the price: this kettle cost less than half of what we paid for our most recent kettle and one third of what we paid for the first one. That's enough to inspire good feelings, now that I know it works! So far, very good!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse