Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on August 3, 2010
California Baby's Sunblock Stick, formulated with titanium dioxide, earns a hazard score of 1 with EWG's Skin Deep Database, which is about as good as you're going to get when it comes to sunscreens. The downside of this is that titanium dioxide, unlike the more toxic counterparts (ie. oxybenzone) is that titanium and zinc oxides do not absorb into the skin, giving the skin that telltale bluish-white appearance that we find so aesthetically unappealing. This is because the benefit of these low-risk sunscreens is that they tend to stay on the surface of the skin, rather than being absorbed where they can do damage to our children's bodies.

That said, I'm comfortable with my kids having discolored skin if they're better protected from thyroid disrupting hormones and other toxic effects of prettier sunscreens.

My one gripe with this particular sunscreen as opposed to the liquid formulations is that the balance of ingredients seems to be off. Or maybe I just bought an old or off-batch? This stuff is really, really, sticky. Thick. Tacky. Unworkable. It's difficult to spread across skin at all. It's far too easy to get grit embedded in it which makes it painful to apply, and the you end up having to cut part of the (expensive) stick off to get a clean applicator again.

On the plus side, this stuff doesn't have any offensive odors - which it shouldn't, being unscented. And, had they made the substance a little oilier and a little less sticky, it would be a breeze to apply. As it is, we're going to make do with it. It serves as a fair way to apply facial sunblock, when needed, for our young girls. And there's much less potential for getting it in the eyes or mouth of a squirmy child than if you're using liquid sunblock.

I think when this stick is gone I will give a go at Badger's low-hazard sunblock stick. Maybe they have an improved formulation over this one. I would not buy this one again unless there were no alternatives available.
on May 16, 2007
I love the California Baby sunblock for use on my baby because it is a barrier sunscreen and does not have chemicals that absorb into the skin. However, I would recommend using the kind that squeezes out like a lotion to cover most of the skin. This sunblock stick works well for small areas like the face and hands. You have to use a bit of pressure to get it to apply to the skin so you would not want to have to do that all over - it would take forever.
on May 31, 2010
I am not a fan of the CA Baby sunblock stick. I purchased this to use on my young son because it is routinely listed as one of the safest sunblocks on the market. I would recommend sticking with the lotion. The stick sunblock is very difficult to apply, especially to young children who typically don't like things being pressed and scraped on their skin. Following application, you'll then need to vigorously rub it in and even the the weird purplish/white glow doesn't disappear. It got to the point where my son would cry when he would see me take this product out to use on him, so we obviously discontinued using it. I will say that he never got any color while wearing this sunblock, so it does work. But, in the end, the effort just wasn't worth it.
on May 30, 2016
This is hands down the best face sunscreen out there. We are at the beach all the time and all day long. This stays on great and I only re-apply below their eyes because the kids are constantly rubbing there. I actually apply this to the eyelid and right below the eyes and I never get a crying kid due to sunscreen in the eye!!!!
on June 23, 2011
I leave this in my baby bag and it's perfect, not to mention convenient. My son has VERY fair skin but this stick works beautifully. It's great for last-minute, sudden applications...and it doesn't burn the eyes when your child is in water. I really like California Baby. Amazon has this at a great price too!
on July 24, 2011
I have 2 small kids with very fair skin. We only use California Baby products and I use the regular lotion sensitive sunscreen all over their bodies in the sun but LOVE, LOVE this sunscreen for their faces. The stick definitely has a pasty consistency and leaves them white if it's not rubbed in but that's what I love about it. We live in Arizona and this stick literally stays on all day. We scrub it off at night with a washcloth but my kids can be swimming and in the sun but the following morning- not a trace of sun. Some of the other reviews have complained about this but if you have a child with skin allergies or sun sensitivity, this is the stick for their face!
on October 24, 2014
Pros: This teaches kids to apply sunblock on their own and makes it easy to do. No bad chemicals.

Cons: The formula is super-viscous and is very thick and pasty. I would take thick and pasty over greasy, but it's hard to rub in since it's not very "moist." II find this is best for faces, but prefer to use more of a "lotion" for the rest of the body.

Efficacy: It works--we can see tan lines where our 3 year old does/doesn't apply it!
VINE VOICEon July 12, 2010
Like this sunscreen very much. We have been Blue Lizard fans almost since our kids were born, and were very happy except for the lack of a sunscreen stick for the face. My daughter's friends at school apply their own face sunscreen using various stick products, and she wanted to do the same.

This product makes application easy. My daughter stands in front of the mirror and spreads it on herself (she's 5). It is opaque enough that she knows where she has applied it (and missed), and it seems to cover well.

Only downsides? Breaks off in little chunks if you press to hard (she's learning) and it's much more opaque than Blue Lizard. For some reason, CA Baby's formula doesn't blend as well, although ingredients wise both CA Baby and Blue Lizard (baby and sensitive) aren't supposed to absorb into the skin. No big deal That said, I'm not delusional - I know that staying out of the sun and wearing sun clothing is a safer way to go, but if you have to sunscreen, this seems one of the best of the alternatives. I'll keep reading and researching to find something better :)
on April 6, 2009
I was suspicious of a waxy stick formula that was going to be too hard to glide on and rub in. not to mention having a hard waxy feeling trapping my skin from breathing, but I was wonderfully surprised. This stuff was easy to spread, easy to use, and covered really well. I had no irritation or breakouts and I can relax knowing it is a legitimately safe sunscreen that is keeping my fair/prone to freckle skin looking good. I keep it in my purse for midday touch uo swipes across my nose, cheeks, neck, and hands.
on October 23, 2012
I have used this stick many, many times over the years and have always been happy with how it works. I usually buy it at Whole Foods and that's the end of it. Unfortunately, this time I bought it here. It arrived hard and dried out, tough to apply and frankly, doesn't even seem to work well. I contacted the seller but they blamed Amazon and said they can't/won't make it right. Lesson learned. I'll buy it again but never from here or from this crappy seller.