Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on June 8, 2011
I purchased this item at my local home improvement store as I did not know it was something Amazon sold. I was a little skeptical with with purchase since it is a Suncast product and they don't have the best products. My wife and I wanted something in our kitchen to store our recyclables in before taking them to the garage. While this product has a larger footprint, it works in our kitchen. The size is a little bit of a problem for us, not for our kitchen, but it is too big and bulky for my wife to carry, so I end up taking it to the garage. This is really only a problem for me as it means my wife doesn't have to ever carry it.

We have had the bin for over three years and it works like it should. It seem to have a problem keeping sticky liquids and paper stuck to the inside. We regularly wash the bin to keep this from happening. One down side is part of the bin that moves (the door) does come unhinged fairly easy and regularly. We would keep the door off but we have a dog that would get into it plus the bin is not all that sturdy without the door in place. Another minor problem is the noise of the door when it is opened and closed...not enough of a problem for us to stop using it. I gave it a four for the size, the door falling off, and for the bulkiness.

It's not a bad product and would be a 5-star product if we kept it in the garage. Don't worry about buying it you will like it.
on November 16, 2010
The Suncast 18 Gallon Hopper Bin was purchased to be used as a recycling bin. Overall, it fulfills its purpose perfectly. The item is a little taller than what I expected, but is sturdy and easily stays in place. It has a good depth and width to it. The opening is a bit on the small side for my tastes. I would prefer the door/lid to be a little bit larger, but it's certainly not a sticking point. Good quality and put to good use.
on March 18, 2012
The feet on the bins are maybe 1/2 inch in diameter. Without the lid it is clear that the feet fit into indentations on the top of the bin below it. They sit atop the semi-circular columns running up the side where they are best supported. However, when you put the lid on, the indentations one would assume the feet go are not above the column and have no support. I found this out the hard way by discovering cracked lids where the feet pierced the top(They now sit on boards running across the lid to prevent further damage). The lid is not designed to have the feet placed over the indents/columns beneath as there is nothing to keep it in line. The plastic is hard and slick and would risk sliding off and falling.

An additional critique is that when the bins are used without lids and the feet are placed in the indents, the bins do not stack in a column. They are offset and stair-step backwards. It does allow for better access but would limit the height the bins could be stacked. It also increases it's 'footprint'. This is more a matter of taste and might appeal to some.

It also would help if somewhere it specified it they where safe for prolonged outdoor exposure. I know Suncast is known for outdoor products but it does not(or should not) go without saying that all their products are. I think I finally found confirmation on their site, but not without digging.

Good materials but poor design.

It they were to redesign it, (besides the obvious)I cast my vote for larger door area for better access.
on December 22, 2011
So its not air tight as other reviewer,s have mentioned but neither was storing pet food in open bags as I was doing before. I put the cat and dog food in two stacked ones. The lids dont seal ultra tight but if you put the heavier on on top it works well. If that really bugs you drill it and add a small fastener to keep the lid more solidly on. This offers a great food storage solution for the price and seems well made. I noticed other reviewer's complained about it not being rodent proof. I dont seem to have that issue at my house but drilling the small holes and putting a bolt in it shouls fix that issue too!
on April 6, 2012
I purchased 4 of these hoppers to help me organize the recycling in my garage. I love how these are stackable and have a very small footprint, while still holding quite a bit. Another thing I love about them is, when it's time to head to the recycling center, I just pop them into the back of my truck and dump them in the bins there. No bags to mess with and no sorting anymore. My only tiny nitpick about these is that one of my lids doesn't want to stay in the up/locked position when another bin is stacked on top of it. Not a huge deal, but a bit annoying sometimes in the middle of sorting and tossing. I could swap it out with one of the other top lids that are folded completely open, but it hasn't annoyed me that much yet. These are a great buy for storage and recycling. I may buy a couple more for other uses!
on February 4, 2013
I bought two of these bins so I could start recycling and quit having so much trash to take to the curb every week. These things work great! I have them outside on the back deck and they are working out nicely. The only thing I would improve is the lids. They seem to be kind of thin and the tabs (snaps) that hold them on aren't quite as big as I would like.

Update: I've had the bins now for over a year and they have stood up to every kind of weather thrown at them. With a little wash down every now and then they still look brand new.
on October 4, 2011
I purchased three bins from this seller, and all arrived as they were expected. They were all packed seperately and were protected well.

I use one as a dog food container, and love it. It has made my life much easier, and looks much better than a big bag of dog food laying around. I also use the other two as recycling bins. The work great for my needs and are stackable which makes this product a great space saver.

I highly recommend this product. Especially, to organized individuals or people looking to be more organized. Its a great space saver, and looks better than anything I have used in the past for recycling. The price is great and has the potential many functions other than the ones I mentioned.
on March 20, 2012
I ordered four of these 18-gallon hopper bins. They were shipped in two separate shipments. For some reason, the first two bins I received were all blue (both the base and the lid). The second two bins were received a couple of days later and they were the same color as the picture (gray base with blue lid). I would have preferred to have all the same color, which is why I ordered this particular bin rather than the multi-colored bins, but these are going to work well for recycling. It's not worth the hassle of returning the two blue bins just to get matching ones, so I will keep them.
on August 14, 2012
I bought this product to reduce the large amount of recycling that would pile up in the corner of the kitchen and in bags during the week. The front flap of the lid opens and shuts easily and is large enough to fit pizza boxes and other large paper/plastic items. The whole lid can be removed to dump the contents into a plastic bag on recycling day. Not too bulky looking. Helped with kitchen organization big time.
on December 15, 2013
We use two of these stacked for our recycling - one paper, one mixed containers. We actually use them inside an apartment, and it works well. They're easy to carry to the building's central recycling collection, with nice handholds, and they've held up well to a couple of years of use so far. We wash them out in the bathtub when they get gross, and all's well.