Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on December 24, 2010
This is my second Suncast shovel. The first one lasted about 10 years. It is still intact, but the metal edge has warped so the shovel is no longer flat. I use the shovel on a concrete driveway, and need it to be flat so I can scrape the snow down to bare concrete. I liked the shovel so much, and it lasted so long, that I have no hesitation in buying another one.
review image
on November 29, 2000
To be honest I wasn't sure what to expect with the quality of this product, after all living in a snowy area in the winter I tend to go through a new shovel every year. I won't have to do that with this one, with most shovel blades being only tacked on with a nail, I was very pleased when I found this one was screwed on but not in just one place but two, as was the D-grip handle.The steel shaft with textured coating made the grip easy to handle and non-slip.With the first snow of the season just last week it was easy going and very fast. I would definatly recommend this product to others for it's quality and strength.
on January 11, 2002
This is the most sturdy snow shovel I've ever seen, but chipping 1-2 inch thick ice for 100 yards on my drive caused the 2 of the rivets on the metal edge to separate from the shovel. Suncast sent me a brand new one. That's strong support...and this is a strong shovel.
on December 10, 2013
Shovels are shovels, right? NO!

There are several criteria on which I judge snowshovels, and below is how this Suncast snow shovel measures up.

1) ~~Ability to push snow~~ This shovel does a good job pushing snow across pavement and sidewalks. It is not a particularly wide or tall shovel, so it can only push a certain quanity before the show begins spilling over the edges, but that's what happens with EVERY shovel. This shovel, though, has a nice straight edge, so it doesn't leave "lines" of snow. It can push clean lines.

2) ~~Ability to scoop snow~~ This shovel does a very good job scooping snow, though it does a better job with dry snow than it does with a heavy, wet snow (as EVERY shovel, other than a heavy steel one, does). This shovel's nice, straight edge makes it get a good "bite" into the snow as it is shoveled.

3) ~~ Ergonomics~~ This is where this shovel loses a few points. It is not terribly designed, but is nothing special when it comes to ergonomics. The user can definitely feel the weight of the snow, and hurling the snow is not particularly easy. However, this shovel is just like most other shovels, so it isn't as if it is a poor design.

4) ~~ Durability~~ I am using this shovel for the third winter in a row and have already used it in both snow and ice this year, and it seems to still be going strong. I haven't noticed any cracks, wobbly parts, or other evidence of impending doom.

5) ~~ Snow "stickiness" on the shovel~~ The snow slides right off this shovel, which makes me happy. I HATE it when snow sticks to the shovel because that makes it really hard to continue shoveling.

Overall, I am quite happy with this shovel. It works well for those of us who get snow and ice, but who don't deal with it daily and thus do not need the "Mack truck" of shovels. I would recommend this shovel to others who live in areas in which snow only moderately falls (a total of 6-24 inches per season?).
on October 24, 2001
I have always had good experiences with Suncast products, so I had high expectations for this shovel. Those expectations were met and exceeded. The shovel is high quality construction, doesn't warp, and appears as though it will survive several seasons (it's lasted one so far).
Disclaimer: I use a snowthrower for the big work, this is for the walkways and cleanup, but it does yeomans work.
on January 14, 2012
I bought this mostly off the rave reviews it gets here. I wish I could say my experience was the same. As far as build quality this thing is a tank, very sturdy and seems like it will last a long time. This comes at a price of weight which isn't a big deal most of the time but if you have a lot of snow to move it will wear you down faster. The problem I had with this shovel comes from the wear strip. Great idea to make the shovel last longer but unfortunately instead of "gliding" along a surface when shoveling is just digs in or drags is maybe the better description. Concrete sidewalk, wood deck or asphalt driveway I couldn't get it to go a foot without fighting to get it to go further. In the end I just drilled out the rivets and removed the wear strip, glides smooth as butter now. I know it won't last as long but at least it's usable....next time I'll just buy the cheap one season throw away shovel.
on January 18, 2014
I live in Western New York,so you know the amount of snow we receive!
I bought this in hopes that I was buying a shovel that I could handle. The
problem is that the bowl of the shovel is too deep and I have to constantly
push the snow out of it. I know it says it is a pusher,which it does perfectly,but
I still have to remove the snow from it. The quality is wonderful...sturdy and
well made. I have a lot more Winter to contend with,so I will continue to work
with it! Not giving up yet!
This has most of the qualities of a great snow shovel. It's strong points are the shape of the blade, the strong leading edge of the blade, the strong handle, and the grip at the end. All work together to make a durable shovel with a high capacity load. The only drawback is that it is relatively heavy compared to shovels with plastic blades and shafts. If you only expect to do very light shoveling, you may want to find a high rated plastic blade and handle. I rejected those when an accident caused my plastic shaft broke in two, from relatively light pressure.
on December 7, 2013
I initially ordered this shovel because of favorable reviews here on Amazon, then a day after ordering I walked outside to look at my broken shovel to see what brand it is. Suncast. I was too late to cancel my order so I had to bite the bullet. The good news is when it arrived it was a different model. It definitely seems to be sturdier than my earlier model. The blade plastic is thicker and the handle is decidedly sturdier; albeit heavier as well. The bad news is that despite every companies efforts to make a quality shovel by improving the handle, the handle is never the part that breaks. It is always, always, always the point wear the blade connects to the handle. I have not had a shovel last through a heavy snow year because of this problem.
I can only hope that perhaps the thicker plastic will help with this problem. Just got 8"...
on May 2, 2012
This is big enough to move a good amount of snow without being too big. I like the scoop design of this as works better for me than the pusher style. It's relatively light but is very sturdy. The handle is plastic coated metal and the wear strip on the bottom is a must.
I also use this for scooping up piles of mulch and compost to spread around the yard. They work great for this.