5.0 out of 5 stars Super Effective
Published on December 4, 2005 by Noibs

1.0 out of 5 stars For short to average height people
Published on December 21, 2008 by GeneNi

1.0 out of 5 stars For short to average height people, December 21, 2008
This review is from: Suncast SF1850 22-Inch Big Scoop Snow Shovel with Wear Strip (Lawn & Patio)
I can't believe I didn't read the reviews before buying. I'm 6'3" tall and as other tall people have mentioned, this shovel does not work well for tall people. I had a pan shovel several years ago that worked great. It had a bigger pan, was about 8 to 10 inches wider, had wooden runners on the bottom and the handle was longer and at the right angle. It was about the same width as a sidewalk so one trip was all it took. Because the Suncast shovel is smaller, you have to make more trips up and down a sidewalk and you have to empty it much more often. And if you're taller, you have to bend much further to get it out where you empty it, especially when the snow starts to pile up. I wouldn't recommend this shovel for anyone over about 5'8" tall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Effective, December 4, 2005
Noibs (Southwestern Colorado) - See all my reviews
I live in southwestern Colorado--ie, we have lots of snow. I already own one Suncast Big Scoop--it's about 11 eleven years old. It works so well at moving LARGE quantities of snow that I'm buying a spare. In terms of manually removing and moving snow, there are two superb products available--the Super Scoop and the Snow Pusher Plus ([...]). I use both and swear by both. If you're not into vehicle plows and snowthrowers, then you can't go wrong with the Super Scoop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winner, January 15, 2007
J (Colorado) - See all my reviews
I LOVE this scoop. It really shines in the big snows, you can move literally tons of snow with it -- without vertical lifting -- in fairly short order. The sturdy construction and steel front edge can even make a dent in those dreaded piles of street-plow "snowcrete". I'm not sure if this is supposed to come with instructions, but I didn't get any. It was clumsy and awkward to use at first, but once I started thinking of it as part front-end loader and part toboggan/sled -- the fun-factor went way up and the snow started flying. Create a ramp/sluice to a convenient dumping spot with the first load, then at the end either jerk back on the handle or else twist left/right to eject the snow. The poly scoop has low surface affinity for snow, so it slides on top of and ejects snow from it with ease. Definitely the best $40 I've ever spent on a snow removal tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible snow shovel, April 11, 2007
Buying this snow shovel ought to be *required* for anyone living in the snow belt! I've had two of them for about 8 years. With this shovel you can easily move 40-50 pounds of wet snow at a time, without lifting anything. All you do is slide the snow to where you want it. (And after you're done shoveling, you can give the kids rides around the yard on it!) Definitely, definitely a MUST for anyone who shovels snow.

4.0 out of 5 stars There's better out there, but this one is worth having if you're in a pinch, March 16, 2010
I bought this during the recent "snowmageddon" in the Northeast. It was the only sleigh shovel that was in stock, so I got it. I'm glad I did. For the things it was good at, it exceeded my expectations. Took some getting used to, but basically it turns you into a snow plow, until you have to dump the snow which you do by making a ramp up a pile of snow and shoving at the top. My driveway which normally took me about an hour to shovel would only take me 20 minutes with this. Plus, because it holds so much snow and you don't really ever lift it, it makes it worthwhile to go plow your driveway with it even if only a few inches have fallen, since you can really fly through the job.

If you can get one with a slightly longer handle or a more ergonomic handle, that will help a lot when you want to tip the shovel up to run it up the snow pile to dump it because you won't have to bend down as far. Other thing to note: Regular shovel = biceps and forearms workout, Sleigh Shovel = triceps and shoulder workout. This is because you're pushing it like a lawnmower and shoving it to get rid of the snow, whereas you're pulling and lifting with a regular shovel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love Love this shovel !!!, January 24, 2008
I LOVE this shovel. I have a long (100 ft) driveway and do NOT want a snowblower for maintenance, storage space, and environmental reasons. I also like the exercise of shoveling. I guess its my winter sport! However I almost broke down this year and got a snowblower when we got almost record-breaking snowfall in December (33 inches). Then I asked my neighbors if I could borrow their funny looking shovel. It was a push shovel. I immediately fell in love with it ... it is easy to push snow a short distance if necessary (which I need to do because of lack of places to put snow). I push snow into a big pile then use my regular shovel to shovel off to side. This push shovel is great for light snows as well as heavy snows. It has a folded steel edge which is very rugged and durable. Shovel itself made out of heavy duty plastic (not like some wimpy plastic shovels). Using it saves on back strain. Someone described it as half tobagan, half front-end loader which is a great description! My neighbors said they bought theirs in a Fleet Farm store in another city. I could not find this shovel in any stores so went online to look. Found it on Amazon! It was even the same brand as my neighbors!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not a shovel - it's better!, November 22, 2010
The thing you have to get used to is thinking of this as a snow sled rather than a snow shovel. The big scoop allows you to pack 40 lbs of soggy, heavy snow in one run. Then you just tip it up a bit and glide this heavy load across the top of the snow to your dumping spot. Once you get there, you just jerk back quickly to pull the scoop out from under the snow, like a magician pulling a tablecloth from under the dishes on a table. It helps to jerk back while the snow still has forward momentum.

Ideally, you should plan your paths so that you're always transporting the snow downhill to your dump spot. You can pile successive dumpings up to build a ramp, if you need to. This is so much more effective at moving snow quickly that I can't imagine having to go back to using just a regular shovel. You can use this to quickly supply lots of snow for building an excellent snow fort too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Handle breaks and they don't offer a replacement, December 20, 2010
This product has a weak link when the shovel is set for a taller person. The holes in the handle weaken the handle so when you push the handles fold at that weak spot.

Also the wear strip comes off. Great one year product. Than consider it disposable because there are no parts options.

4.0 out of 5 stars No more lifting, March 9, 2008
You have to "learn" how to use the unit, but once you get the hang of it, it makes clearing the driveway or street a lot faster and uses a lot less energy. Don't try to lift to get the snow off the shovel, just push it off to the side. Walkways that use to take 30 minutes to clear now takes about 15 minutes with no heavy lifting. Once you get the hang of it, you will love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great - for a 10 yr old, January 28, 2008
while writing this the only other poor reviews lamented the size. I agree. I am tall, but not a giant, and the handle comes up to mid thigh. Ideally this would be up to waist at least. So who can use it would be those who are much shorter than even average, or kids. Good concept - bad design. The steel ones are better or the avalanche ergo snow scoop.

Rate and Discover Movies