Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

The storage seat comes as six heavy duty plastic panels that snap together. Once assembled it is strong and sturdy. The lid/seat is hinged and overlaps the box so rain is kept out. The bottom is raised on short legs which also helps keep out moisture.

We use it to hold a large bag of charcoal, lighter fluid, and a small fire extinguisher. All the things necessary for a successful barbecue.

UPDATE 7/8/11 - Over a year later and the storage seat is still going strong. One thing has changed though. We've gave up using lighter fluid and are instead using a Weber 87886 Chimney Starter. It works perfectly and there's no "lighter fluid" smell.

UPDATE 10/25/13 - A few more summers past and the storage seat continues to do it's job. In fact, our first few barbecues each spring use the charcoal that's been outside sitting in and protected by the seat all winter with no problems.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've gotten from other reviewers and continue to return the favor as best as I can.
77 comments|723 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2005
I put this on my small patio, and it is great! It will not hold a large amount of items, but will hold many small items, for example, you could fit a 50 ft. hose, watering can and a couple chair pads, and some rope. It is so simple to put together, a couple quick snaps and your done! No nuts or bolts, but sturdy enough to hold my 245 lbs. husband! I actually bought this at a local Target store, and this is the best price.
0Comment|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2005
Though this is not a toy box (by which I mean it does NOT include safety features like air holes), it was a cheap solution to my toddler's accumulation of messy looking toys in the backyard. I didn't want to carry dirt-encrusted toys into my house, and I couldn't stand to look at them any longer.

This comes flat. I assembled it myself in a few minutes without tools. It takes heavy pressure to pop the pieces together, but an average woman like myself can manage it. It looks fine, but it is not perfectly square and smooth. The plastic sides are thin enough that they can flex a bit and be slightly bowed.

The lid is not hinged. It simply sits on top of the box. The lid is not water-tight. If you store it in the open outdoors, objects inside will get wet/damp when it rains. For plastic toys, this hasn't been a problem for me.

An average size adult can sit on the lid and use it as a bench. It is only wide enough for one person. I don't know the maximum weight limit, but we've put about 175 pounds on it. It is slightly shifty/wobbly, so I wouldn't let a really large person sit on it, nor would I let a child climb on it as a toy. The lid could shift, etc.

I like it well enough that I'm considering getting a larger (wider) box like this for our front porch to hide a snow shovel and sand in the winter, and our beach toys and broom in the summer. I'm trying to find one assembled in a store to check out first, however, because a larger bench could be dangerous unless it is built a bit more sturdily than this small one.

***EDIT TO ADDRESS COMMENTS***
Several comments a year and a half after my original review complain that my review differs from their own experience of the box. Perhaps the box design changed between my initial review in 2005 and the product people received in 2007 and later? My box does not have a hinged lid, and a bit of water continues to enter the box, especially during wind-driven rain or snow that comes in at a low angle. The box is still in my yard, still holds an average adult with just a slightly wobbly bit of shifting, and it has lasted through over five years of New England weather very well.

I am very comfortable assembling DIY products and I follow directions precisely. I still recommend this box, and I'm happy to hear that it seems to be even better now than the one I got that has been so durable.
88 comments|188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2005
I needed a small storage seat to place next to my hot tub. It is great for storing chemicals, etc. and provides extra seating on the deck.
on July 17, 2009
This is a great storage box and seat. It went together very easily, yet it's very sturdy when it is all together. The lid has hinges which is great too. I have it outside directly in the elements and everything inside stays dry as a bone. It holds a lot more than you would think too. I put a bunch of gardening supplies and hand tools in there and it isn't even half full. On top of it, it was made in America. I highly recommend it.

Also... Amazon's price was the best I found and their customer service was great. I gotta give them credit for that.
on July 15, 2011
I left this outside for a couple of seasons. The color faded and the plastic panels warped slightly (although everything still works).

To be fair, I live in Michigan, and maybe it just wasn't designed for my climate. I'm sure it works great poolside.

Heads up for the cold weather folks, though!
on May 26, 2007
There was only one left and I have it and a larger storage seat/box (DB9500) for my patio. The assembly was literally a SNAP, took me, a 54 y/o woman, less than 15 minutes to get each of them put together and both pieces are very sturdy. Be mindful of the type of material these pieces are made of, cold weather makes plastic brittle and any sharp blow under these conditions can result in breakage. It requires a little effort to get the hinge together on the small box, but once that's done, you'll be pleased with what you have. The price is right and it's attractive additional seating.
on May 4, 2012
I ordered 2 Suncast deck boxes with a seat. So far I have 1. Packaging=perfect. Assembly=True to 5 min claim. Instructions easy/perfect. Appearance=bigger than I imagined, but I'm sure the product description is correct. I'm a size 14, 5'6" woman, and the sit is comfortable (width & height). 300lb.+ 6'6" hubby sat on it and there was NO give. He also thought it comfortable. This item is sturdy and will store a lot more than I had hoped for. The initial use will be to provide additional outdoor seating at a family party. I wanted something that I could continue to use for more than just storage.

Kudos to Amazon & FedEx for having such a great arrangement that I got 2 out of 3 items ordered delivered to my door in LESS than 24 hours since I submitted my order--and with free shipping. WOW. So glad I didn't buy this from another online seller as they only had one remaining and the shipping wouldn't have been free.

Get this deck box. Stop spending time looking around.
on January 22, 2013
Was a little disappointed product wasn't white as it advertise on the box nor does it state that the product color may come in a different color. The storage box was taupe lightly grey color . If I knew this I wouldn't have ordered it . Most of it is assembled however the top part could not align to snap in easy & is still sitting with the top cover off until I can get someone to figure out how to make it snap into place or muscle it together .
on November 4, 2006
This seat arrived quickly, was easy to assemble securely, and served exactly the storage need I had, plus some space. I use it as a table rather than a seat, but the quality is so durable, I'm sure it would make a fine and generous seat. The color is bone, off white, not the white as advertised, but that is no problem.